Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the helms manual and i dont think its worth the 70 bucks. It doesnt even tell me how to take off the alternator pulley with good directions like exactly how to tighten it back up and stuff. it shows alot but not that detailed. i want to take a look at the chiltons, i use to have that one on my old car and that would be pretty good.

------------------

aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
you gotta be kidding me.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CyberCivicSi:
hey i have question aboot grizzlies. there seems to be a couple mating behind the pine tree and they keep me up all night. what should i do. :D</font>

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
the only thing i don't like about the Helm is that it needs an INDEX, badly! grr... it's kinda hard to find a certain page sometimes..

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree with imagepree about the index thing. It's very hard to find things in a hurry. Regardless, the Helm's is INVALUABLE! It does require you to have some mechanical knowledge to get full use out of it.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grnlude97:
I agree with imagepree about the index thing. </font>
so do i!!!

the information is in there, but can be a pain to find sometimes.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i think it is ok for a manual. it does tell you how to like take apart the engine and stuff but way to complicated for basic things that i might want to do. like take off the exhust and headers and hmm pullies and stuff like that. anyone think i can do the accessory pullies myself. i aint dumb about cars and stuff. i want the unorthodox set. i am wondering what pullies are available for the 5th gen besides the crank

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer

·
Registered
725 Posts
Actually, the Helm is extremely comprehensive. You can't expect it to be written up like an install page or something. Look at how thick the manual is already. Now imagine if they tried to walk you thru it step by step, "first get a 10mm socket and proceed to take the bolt off, once the bolt is completely off,..."

If they did that, we'd all have to buy 10 editions of the manual, one for the engine, one for the suspension, etc.

But like grnlude97 said, it assumes you have some basic mechanical knowledge.

If you don't like the manual, I'm sure someone will buy it off of you for like $30 or something

------------------
'00 Prelude
Black 5spd

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i remember the chiltons manual did do a walk thorugh. it is very detailed but who here will actually use most of it>?

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoYgUaN:
well i remember the chiltons manual did do a walk thorugh. it is very detailed but who here will actually use most of it>?

</font>

i bet you a new jackson racing supercharger billy is going to reply to this and say "EVERY PAGE OF MY HELMS MANUAL IS COVERED IN GREASE"

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts

I just got the helms manual and i dont think its worth the 70 bucks.
</font>
I just ordered one tonight-If I can cancel my order, would you sell me yours?

------------------

Not your Grandmother's Prelude
http://www.hondaprelude.com/setups/setupsdsply.asp?id=10306

AIM: coil222222
Yahoo: coil222

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nah imma keep it for the times i have to use it. its not worth 60 to me because i wont do hella large work like valves and springs and clutch. but will do like pullies and stuff

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
nah imma keep it for the times i have to use it. its not worth 60 to me because i wont do hella large work like valves and springs and clutch. but will do like pullies and stuff

</font>
I won't do the hella large jobs either, and I already have all the little bolt ons.
I just want to know my way around the car better.I think the topic about removing the front bumper pushed me into buying one.
Now I can remove the front and have it repainted, WHILE my clutch/flywheel/LSD are being installed WHILE im in hawaii next month. (bumper is getting LOOSE anyway, I'll probably pop it off and tighten it on my next day off for sh!ts and giggles.) I'm such a jack hole that when I first had the car, I took it in to have my clear tails put on.(I did my altezzas myself though). I need to reseat my headlights, and I want to take them out so I can replace the parking lights w/ blue neon too. Then My sig will be all blue instead of blue green
I DIY'd most of my last car (1995 DSM eclispe GS), I've just been afraid to hurt the lude b/c I got her brand new-the honeymoon is OVER, she's not new anymore.

------------------

Not your Grandmother's Prelude
http://www.hondaprelude.com/setups/setupsdsply.asp?id=10306

AIM: coil222222
Yahoo: coil222

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Any of you who think the Helm is bad should go blow your money on the Chiltons and Haynes just so you can be schooled. Take it from someone who knows, Chiltons are the WORST, they cover WAAAYYYYY too many years, leave out 90% of what the Helm's has, and are honestly erroneous. This is the kind of manual that will have a "V6 Models" section on your Prelude. Haynes are better, but not by much.

If you want to see a bad manual, pick up a manual for a GM product. Ford/Mercury/Lincoln are the only ones that come close. The Helm for the Honda is by far the best, it blows away all the others I've ever owned. Complaining you can't find something? Try a book that just flat *doesn't have it* or something like an Isuzu book where you have to look at the engine dissasembly section to find the torque spec for the valve adjust nuts when you're reading the maintenence section's "Valve Clearance Adjustment."

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Any of you who think the Helm is bad should go blow your money on the Chiltons and Haynes just so you can be schooled. Take it from someone who knows, Chiltons are the WORST, they cover WAAAYYYYY too many years, leave out 90% of what the Helm's has, and are honestly erroneous. This is the kind of manual that will have a "V6 Models" section on your Prelude. Haynes are better, but not by much.

If you want to see a bad manual, pick up a manual for a GM product. Ford/Mercury/Lincoln are the only ones that come close. The Helm for the Honda is by far the best, it blows away all the others I've ever owned. Complaining you can't find something? Try a book that just flat *doesn't have it* or something like an Isuzu book where you have to look at the engine dissasembly section to find the torque spec for the valve adjust nuts when you're reading the maintenence section's "Valve Clearance Adjustment."
</font>
I agree with that. My wife's Miata service manual is so-so. It's difficult to find torque specs, and the diagrams are much, much smaller (it's 1/4 the size of the Helms, literally!).

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99Prelude_LC:

i bet you a new jackson racing supercharger billy is going to reply to this and say "EVERY PAGE OF MY HELMS MANUAL IS COVERED IN GREASE"
</font>
Not every page!
Just the engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, and fuel system pages have grease smudges on them!

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

G

·
i aint dumb about cars and stuff.
</font>
I just got the helms manual and i dont think its worth the 70 bucks. It doesnt even tell me how to take off the alternator pulley with good directions like exactly how to tighten it back up and stuff.
</font>
like take off the exhust and headers and hmm pullies and stuff like that.
</font>
Exactly what where you looking for? It shows that you use two offset wrenches to remove/install the nut on the alternator. What else do you need? It gives you the torque spec right there in the manual. I don't understand was else you could possibly need.

Are you sure you "aint dumb about cars and stuff?" It's a pulley for crying out loud.

Exhaust? You need directions on how to remove an exhaust??? Just look under the car, and you can figure it out without a manual!

One tip would be to actually remove the alternator from the car before you try to remove the alternator pulley. It's much easier that way. Also, use an offset wrench on the nut, and a 10mm socket with a breaker bar on the alternator shaft. It's easier to get it off that way.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'm sorry, I came in late on this one, but I couldn't help myself...

BUAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Thanks, Billy & 99_LC. I needed that.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Your lucky that the Prelude Manual comes in one manual, not including the body manual etc. My Supra has about 11 volumes, and runs about 700 bucks for the set. It is extremely detailed though. And basically is a complete walk through on each subject. Knid of reminds me of the manuals I use to fix helicopters. Super detailed. The Helms for the Prelude or any car for that matter is better than a Chiltons or Hynes anyday, especially if you a serious wrencher.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. James:
Your lucky that the Prelude Manual comes in one manual, not including the body manual etc. My Supra has about 11 volumes, and runs about 700 bucks for the set. It is extremely detailed though. And basically is a complete walk through on each subject. Knid of reminds me of the manuals I use to fix helicopters. Super detailed. The Helms for the Prelude or any car for that matter is better than a Chiltons or Hynes anyday, especially if you a serious wrencher.</font>
Helicopters? GODDAMN!!!! I think between Veetec, 71dsp, Dr. James and some others we can fix anything.

And oh yeah......the Helms is worth more than what you pay for it.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred.

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
Helicopters? GODDAMN!!!! I think between Veetec, 71dsp, Dr. James and some others we can fix anything.

And oh yeah......the Helms is worth more than what you pay for it.
</font>
Funny you should mention that, I was a Chinook helicopter electrician in the military. I also did mechanic work on the Chinook, Deuce and a half, and HumVee.

Try changing one of those huge ass Deuce and a half tires with a damn bottle jack. Not to mention changing tires, they use split rings (which can blow off....yikes!). That will educate you!!

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

[This message has been edited by 71dsp (edited April 24, 2001).]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts