Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Billy has stock in the publisher for the Helm manuel.....that's why he's always pushing people to buy it.

No, seriously, I got mine last week and feel that I have already got my money worth out of it. In responce to an earlier post I think that the Helm is more that discriptive enough. I took off all my brake components and bled the lines. This was my first time doing it(ever to any car) with the supervision of my friend (a tech at a Toyota). I read the procedure in the Helm and everything worked perfectly. I feel it is the best thing (investment) I have gotten for the Lude!

[This message has been edited by 99ludelover (edited April 24, 2001).]

G

·
Glad to hear it! Now you see why a lot of us (not just me!) try to push people to get the Helm's. It's the best $60 you can spend on your car!!

Stock? That's not a bad idea!

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
just out of curiosity, is it worth getting even if you live in an apartment and you park outside and dont have a garage?

all of my installs and maintainence is done professionally because
1. i dont have the tools
2. too COLD in the winter to do it outside
3. no garage
4. not too mechanically inclined (though i'd like to be someday when i get a house!)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes, then you can read it for the sheer joy of reading such a great piece of literature.
Actually, its probably not worth it if you dont have any tools.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkoc:
just out of curiosity, is it worth getting even if you live in an apartment and you park outside and dont have a garage?

1. i dont have the tools
3. no garage
4. not too mechanically inclined (though i'd like to be someday when i get a house!)

</font>

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say yes!
When you go to the mechanic you can be better prepaired by reading what you think is wrong or want to do. There is a better chance that you wont get ripped-off and the mechanic may have more respect for you for knowing alittle about what you're talking about. I have found that researching anyhing is always a good plan be it mods for the car or buying new computer hardware to even talking to a mechanic. I feel it is 100% worth it.

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99ludelover:
I'd say yes!
When you go to the mechanic you can be better prepaired by reading what you think is wrong or want to do. There is a better chance that you wont get ripped-off and the mechanic may have more respect for you for knowing alittle about what you're talking about. I have found that researching anyhing is always a good plan be it mods for the car or buying new computer hardware to even talking to a mechanic. I feel it is 100% worth it.
</font>
Agreed. Although a garage does help tremendously when doing work!

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
6,314 Posts

1. i dont have the tools
3. no garage

</font>

Yes it's worth it sometimes for the weirdest stuff. You never know when it might come in handy to diagnose a problem or try and do some repairs at a friends house or something.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahcjar103:
there's lots of things you can do without a lot of tools or a garage. lots of routine maintenance type stuff</font>
Yep... I've done springs, struts, exhaust, header... we even pulled Billy's engine while the car was out of the garage. Your complex may not like you, but...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

1. i dont have the tools
3. no garage

</font>
Hey, I am in the same situation. I moved out on my own, and my family and friends are over 1500 miles away. My buddy had a "garage of all garages" so I always went there.

Now, I have a jack, monkey wrench, screwdriver, and a butter knife. My girlfriend is getting mad because I have all these tools and a set of rims and interior pieces in the living room. Not to mention that my car almost fell on me because the cement gave away with the jack.

Oh yeah, definitely get one. My girl thinks I'm crazy because I go to bed reading it. 2 thumbs up

JP

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think my helm is my best bathroom book.

It easily saves you over $70 time alone, not to mention maintenance and troubleshooting.

------------------

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
it is worth it cuz you gain so much knowledge about our cars. and by reading it, you appreciate all the things that went into developing the car as well as diagnosing a possible problem before you head to a shop.

i don't have a garage either and don't do much of the work myself cuz i dont have much tools as well. *shrugs* but, whenever i go into the shop, i know exactly what needs to be done.

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jpprelude:
Not to mention that my car almost fell on me because the cement gave away with the jack.
</font>
Were you not using jack stands? Rule #2 (after Rule #1: buy a Helm's) is DON'T DO ANYTHING TO HURT YOURSELF! I can't stress how important safety is. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER get under a car that isn't supported by jack stands. You really think that you can get out from under a 3000lb car when it's sitting on your head??

This isn't aimed specifically at you, but I have seen plenty of people working on cars without jack stands. I suppose it's Darwinism at it's best......

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
but he said jack, not jack stands.... i would NEVER get under a car that was just propped up with a jack. one big gust of wind or bit o' shaking and you're squished.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
i think he mentioned that the cement gave way, where the jack is. *shrugs*</font>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts