Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. As I have previously posted, I am very new to the car (import) scene. I would like to make a basic inquiry about torque. What exactly is it? I have been told it has something to do with lbs/ft or something like that. I would also like to know which modifications would improve torque. Also, how can you tell when in a car what feels like a lot of horsepower and what torque feels like. Any and all responses are more than greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SlntSam

Thank you very much! That website held almost all of the information i was seeking. However, it was a bit technical. Anybody else have any more information they are willing to share? Thank you all!

Jim

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
here's my oversimplified answer:

torque is how good your car accelerates, horsepower is how fast your car can go...

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
BEECH! :D Your a corrupt mod I tell ya! :D ........You're my hero :D</font>

G

·
Not quite. HP is directly related to torque by the equation: hp = torque * rpm / 5252.

In a very simplified way, you can think of torque as low end power and hp as high end power (don't yell, I said simplified!).

If you have an engine that doesn't have strong torque, if you can turn it at a higher rpm, it will develop more power (assume torque stays constant). Now that you can turn the engine faster, lower the gear ratio (numerically raise the gear ratio) so that for a given speed, the engine is turning faster. That way, you are taking advantage of the hp available, but at a higher rpm.

http://www.g-speed.com/pbh/torque-and-hp.html

A little technical, but a good article.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Ha ha! The two articles posted are by the same guy! This Augenstein guy must be the nets authority on automotive physics.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gLudeous:
Ha ha! The two articles posted are by the same guy! This Augenstein guy must be the nets authority on automotive physics. </font>
Doh! *Brandon knocks his fist to his skull* They are the same article, but ones with addendums.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Another way to think of power vs. torque is in terms of acceleration, and the rate of acceleration.

Torque is what gets your car going - it's what increases acceleration from 0 meters per second squared to 5 meters per second squared. It is extremely important at the start of a race, after turns and during shifts, but power is what allows you to continue accelerating. We all know that cars accelerate less as speeds increase (drag) - power is what allows acceleration to stay up. That's why a car with 50 torque but 200 power has exactly the same top speed as a car with 200 torque and 200 power (with the same weight and aerodynamics).

At least, that's what I understood from a 3 hour talk with a physics prof.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts