Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am very new to the import-scene as i have just purchased a 1995 Prelude SI, with an AEM cold air intake. I was wondering if anybody on this board could explain to me exacly what the function of a header would be, as i have been doing research on what to add to my engine. Any information is sincerely appreciated, and I hope to hear from some of you. I thank you!!!

good-bye

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
WELCOME! Header just helps your engine breathe better. Id give you the dictionary meaning, but i dont have my dictionary. Intake, headers exhaustall help your engina take in more air and get rid of it better.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Welcome to the import scene!!!!!

Well, the header/exhaust manifold is a grouping of pipes which scavenge ur exhaust gases out from the engine into the downpipe and out thru the muffler/exhaust system.

What the after-mkt header does is to improve the flow of the exhaust gas as it exits the engine, therefore improving the overall flow of the engine and increasing power.

However, IMO b4 u modify ur header, u should look into getting a hi-flow exhaust system first, as the header will have lil effect if u retain ur stock/factory exhaust system.
Hope this helps!!! Also do a search on the FAQ section as I'm sure u'll have plenty of ideas/Q's about what to do w/ur car.

------------------
01' Base 5-Speed
AEM CAI, Neuspeed Frt.Bar, Neuspeed Sports & KYB AGX, Type-R Wing

Parts to be installed-
Apex V-AFC- anyone wanna help me out w/this one??

·
Registered
123 Posts
hello jim from CA

i'm not too good at this, but my intention is to introduce you to a basic explanation so maybe you'll understand it better, then someone else will come along in this thread and give you an indepth link and/or explanation.

headers and exhausts help the breathability of exhaust gases exiting from the combustion chamber. Once the air/fuel mix is combusted, it needs some place to go right? The stock exhaust manifold is a restrictive compared to the freer flowing aspects of aftermarket headers. So at full throttle, headers provide an advantage in that the gases are freer to move throught the rest of the engine's internals (header - exhaust).

...say hello and wave goodbye.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jim from CA:
I was wondering if anybody on this board could explain to me exacly what the function of a header would be, as i have been doing research on what to add to my engine. </font>
A header will help you move air faster through your motor. Basically your factory header is most likely (I don't know how bad a 4th gen is) a bottleneck in your car. A new header will help by either being made of larger tubing, better bends, or just a better design generally. Some of the better companies for headers are Mugen, Greddy, DC, and Neuspeed. Since you already have a intake a header and catback exhuast would be the next steps to help make more power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all very much! I will go and spread my knowledge now
. I am kidding, is there anything else i should know about this? Thanks once again!

Jim

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
to my understanding, having a good header makes your car feel like you have just taken the booger out of her nose in the morning...

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
I like to rub my nipples while watching the shopping channel </font>

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Thank you all very much! I will go and spread my knowledge now :). I am kidding, is there anything else i should know about this? Thanks once again!

Jim
</font>
There is a lot you should know. My first suggestion would be to research any thoughts or questions here (archives) or for more technical info, honda-tech.com or theoldone.com.

For the header I'd suggest looking at dyno plots and doing what you're doing (asking). Check out http://www.ntpog.org for dyno plots, product reviews, and some mods advice.

Oh, and Welcome!!!

·
User Account Disabled
5,736 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
to my understanding, having a good header makes your car feel like you have just taken the booger out of her nose in the morning...

</font>
this is the best explanation. That feeling of liberation you attain after blowing out that hard crusty mass of mucus is what your car feels with an aftermarket header

·
Registered
433 Posts
the basic idea of an engine...more air in/ more air out/ as fast as possible.
There is your whole basic idea of an engine. the better efficincy of air in and air out more hp and torque. Hence more power if you "ram air" into the cylinder. which is FI turbo, supercharger. Everything else just helps get air or get rid of air. There are some other mods that help engine but they are small. but thats the MAIN idea.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all very much once again! I was also wondering if any of you have removed your catalytic converter? Will that give my car more power? I take it cannot be absolutely 'legal'. I have heard a few good things about this procedure!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
NOOOOO, DON'T DO THATTTTTTT!!!!!

First off, it's illegal, second, u will not realize much gains as u will lose tooooooo much backpressure(same idea as getting an exhaust which is too large in diameter), ur car will be loud as shiettt, and u will trip the engine light.

If u want to go this route u can get a hi-flow cat instead.

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
Jim from CA? Grant from Toronto? you know you guys are allowed to be a lil more creative when selecting your usernames

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
(Base 5 sp)
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Thank you all very much once again! I was also wondering if any of you have removed your catalytic converter? Will that give my car more power? I take it cannot be absolutely 'legal'. I have heard a few good things about this procedure!

Thanks! :)
</font>
I haven;t done it on the 'lude. I have done it on my truck. Yes, it's worth power. On a stock exhaust? Probably only a few. With aftermarket exhaust and header? Probbaly a few more on top of that. I haven't seen anyone complain of loss of torque or power from this.

The problem will be finding a pipe. Most shops won't make them for you (removing the cat is a federal offense) and pre-made ones race shops sell are expensive. I honeslty wouldn't waste my money on a hi-flow cat unless you need to replace yours to begin with (I've NEVER seen a honda "need" one).

All that said, check your local emissions req't. My truck with the cat removed came dangerously close to Dallas/Fort Worth's rediculously *high* emissions levels (220ppm HC). With the cat on and all emissions equip, it was stupid low, like 1ppm.

I'd consider it if you get an exhaust. If you go for an exhaust, get and aftermarket one with mandrel bends. If you get one done locally out of aluminized tubing, have them (or you) buy mandrel bends from JC Whitney or Summit or Jegs. I honestly wouldn't bother with an exhaust upgrade unless you replace all the bends with mandrel... that's typically "a" weak point, though the flex joint section in the stock downpipe is usually the worst (new header should fix that).

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
</font>
who DID you sleep with to get this job?

------------------
My Mechanic

1 - 20 of 59 Posts