Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Offical Girl Hater.
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..

i opted NOT to put back on the balancer belt... i am guessing it is ok to leave the balancer belt tensioner off since it does nothing for the timming belt. Is it ok to leave the large balancer pulley that is on the crank off as well, or should i just throw it back on for good measures?

One last thing, while putting on the belt itself, the pain in the ass it is, i some how got my intake cam off by about 1 tooth. I just installed cam gears, so can i just adjust the cam gear to make up for my tooth of error? I am guessing yes, but just would like to get a confirmation.

This has truely been a PITA, i'm glad its only once every 90k miles i gotta do this. :laugh:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dont change your timing gear to adjust for the tooth off thats jsut bad. You wont get the timing right, I doubt that you know how much the timing has to be off to get the cam back to TDC. Your going to have to put the crank ballancer pully on ot her crank pully for the accessories won't be spaced right and the crank bolt will never tighten the crank down, and it will rub on the cover. I doubt that taking off your ballancer belt is going to do that much for you but hey its your engine do what you want.

·
Registered
928 Posts
not something i would reccommend doing but if you do i think each tooth off on a cam gear is about 7-8 degrees so thats about half of your adjustment on the cam gears right there might as well do it right though

·
Registered
960 Posts
Just for reference,

When you do the T belt was there enough room to get in there
without needing any special tools, other than wrenches and sockets with extentions?

I am going to be doing this in about two weeks so I'd like to know if I need a parts running car handy:D

·
Registered
808 Posts
You'r going to need to find a way to hold the crank when removing the crank pully bolt. The make a specal tool for this job "crank pully removal tool" and a large braker bar or pipe. A manual would be highly recomended.

·
Offical Girl Hater.
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i lined up the crank and the exhast cam since they are both good, then i made a mark on the cam gear where the line WAS, and moved the gear until the line i made matched the line on the exhaust gear.

Hopefully this works. :laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts