Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out what the problem with my wheel bearing was...

Apparently the 4th gen axle spline is too long for the 5th gen hub. When I torqued down the axle nut, it ran out of threads and did not seat the spline through the hub fully. As soon as I drove the car the bearing came loose.

I don't know if this is an issue with all 5th gen hubs, but I tried 2 different ones from a 98 and had the problem with both.

To fix the situation, I used a washer under the axle nut. That gives the nut more room so it can pull the axle in all the way.

I'm really surprised no one else has mentioned this about the conversion.

·
MECP Cert'd Bish
5,820 Posts
go pre said:
I found out what the problem with my wheel bearing was...

Apparently the 4th gen axle spline is too long for the 5th gen hub. When I torqued down the axle nut, it ran out of threads and did not seat the spline through the hub fully. As soon as I drove the car the bearing came loose.

I don't know if this is an issue with all 5th gen hubs, but I tried 2 different ones from a 98 and had the problem with both.

To fix the situation, I used a washer under the axle nut. That gives the nut more room so it can pull the axle in all the way.

I'm really surprised no one else has mentioned this about the conversion.
How thick of a washer did you use? On what side?

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Preyluder said:

I was gonna mention that. :confused: Maybe they were referring to the NSX caliper upgrade, which I believe is only possible with a 5 lug hub assembly. Maybe not though.
You can use NSX calipers with 4 lugs hubs, the number of lugs has nothing to do with it. The only advantage the 5 lugs give you in term of brakes is you can use the legend rotors which are a bit thicker than the 4th gen VTEC ones.

This swap is pretty much just for the cool factor, unless you can really justify to swap rotors, hubs and all that stuff just for new wheels...

go pre: I think if you used 5th gen drive shaft you wouldn't need the washer, when I tried putting a 5th gen driveshaft on my car I found out that the nut wouldn't go all the way in.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got the front knuckles for $75 each locally.

i had to order the rear spindles and hubs from a junkyard online, they were also $75 each plus shipping.

I did all the work myself. Since I have air tools it went pretty quickly. The rear spindle mounting nuts are a little hard to get to, I'd say that was the hardest part of the swap.

Also, for the washer.. I couldnt' find anything that was the right size except for some thin washers used for conduit. I stacked up about 4 of those on each side which gives about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch more clearance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
to do the NSX caliper conversion, you MUST add a spacer to the outer pad... the NSX rotor is about 5mm thicker...

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
bogus said:
to do the NSX caliper conversion, you MUST add a spacer to the outer pad... the NSX rotor is about 5mm thicker...
Yes but you don't need a 5 lug conversion to use them, though if you do the 5 lug conversion you can use the Legend rotors which are the same thickness as the NSX ones and you won't need to put a spacer.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Preyluder said:
If they're the same thickness, then why wouldn't you need a spacer for the Legend rotors? :confused:
Ok let's start over, the Prelude rotors are all the same thickness, I don't remember what it is though, and the Legend and NSX rotors are 5mm thicker than the P relude's. So if you use Legend or NSX calipers which are made for the thicker rotors on the thinner Prelude rotors, you need a spacer about 5mm to make up for the difference. So if you do a 5 lug swap you can use the Legend rotors on the Prelude which are the right thickness for the Legend and NSX calipers so you don't need the spacer.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Hey dude you are absolutely correct on this one.

I never really thought about it but I took my car in last week to have the engine pulled again to have a bunch of stuff installed and my builder emailed me and said both my front wheel bearings are junk. This must be why.

Hmm how thick of a washer did you use? I'm thinking the safer solution is to use a 5th gen axle..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5th gen axles will probably work... I used several washers because all I could find was thin ones. together they are about 3/16" thick. eventually I'll find the right size washer but this was a quick fix.

maybe we can add this info to the faq so people dont' fry their bearings. can one of the mods delete all the OT posts from this thread?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts