Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where to tighten up some screws (?) on my driver's side headlight housing. I found it to be loose the other day and couldn't find out what wasn't holding it on.
THANKS! =D

------------------
'97 Prelude
...Stock...

·
Registered
327 Posts
When you open the hood look for a silver 10mm bolt on the beam that is right behind and above the headlight. The same beam the hood latch attaches to. That's the main bolt that hold the headlight in. BTW it's very easy to break the headlight mount. One of mine is broken and I know of other prelude's that have it as well.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grnlude97:
BTW it's very easy to break the headlight mount. One of mine is broken and I know of other prelude's that have it as well.
</font>
Thanks for letting me know! I thought I was the only one...my passenger side light support thing is broken...so there's a little play in the whole light itself. I shoved some rubber tape down in between the frame and the light and it tightened it up though.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
'97 Prelude Type-SH (stock) 15.4 @ 91
Visit the Prelude FAQ| jmcn.com

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grnlude97:
When you open the hood look for a silver 10mm bolt on the beam that is right behind and above the headlight. The same beam the hood latch attaches to. That's the main bolt that hold the headlight in. BTW it's very easy to break the headlight mount. One of mine is broken and I know of other prelude's that have it as well.

Daniel

grnlude97
</font>

Thanks so much! I'll see what's going on with it tomorrow.. BTW is there any way to fix the mount once it's broken besides rubber tape?

------------------
'97 Prelude
...Stock...

·
Registered
327 Posts
The only perfect way to fix it would be to purchase an entirely new headlight! Personally, I think it's a terrible design. It's a tiny, flimsy plastic piece that comprises the top mount. I *think* I inadvertantly broke mine by leaning on it while polishing my car. It's very easy to break and once it's done the only solution I see is what JMCN did (other than the former). Goodluck.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Well, one could remve the bumper (only way to take the headlight out), remove the headlight, then plastic weld or hot glue it back together.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
'97 Prelude Type-SH (stock) 15.4 @ 91
Visit the Prelude FAQ| jmcn.com

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, one could remve the bumper (only way to take the headlight out), remove the headlight, then plastic weld or hot glue it back together.
GRRRRR, how do u take off the bumper plz? mine is broke i think :(

Jimmy

·
1st SS to 5spd swap done
2,455 Posts
mines loose too, on the driver side. heard that a small plastic mount on the light tends to brake from time to time. you actually have to replace the whole light.

bummer huh.

·
Thinking about going 9PSI
824 Posts
well to replace the head lights i think i got quoted 700 bucks ... i dont remember if that was one or both ... but ya my head light is broke like that too the driver side.... and i am pissed i took off my entire bumper then took off the head light and used jb weld on it seemed fine but when i put the head light back in and tightened it pop it goes grrr!!! so i said screw it doesn't really matter because when my hood is shut it does have a little play but not too much i doubt it even matters ... so oh well good luck halani i just say leave it alone or do what that other luder said put something underneath the headlight to put force on it pushing up to keep it in place....

·
`\ (^_^) /`
1,732 Posts
mine are busted on both sides which is why i bought another set of used headlights that are still good from a fellow po.com member...i'm thinking theres gotta be some way to reinforce it...metal plate anyone? =P im sending my lights to ando to get done and i dont want em to break again.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
one of mine is broken as well. I took the bumper off and super glued it back on, and about a day later it was broke again. This time I am going to try some JB Weld, I think it will hold after that.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
just use super glue and let it dry completely before reinstalling the headlight....just make sure you dont apply too much force to the headlight in the future, since the mount is already weak.

Make sure you dont lean on the headlight or sit on it. Don'r rest your hand on it while checking your oil or anything on your engine bay....just be extra careful and you will be good..:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
The housings don't come loose- they always just break. It doesn't take much pressure (hand, ass, whathaveyou) to break the mounts.

Superglue or epoxy works to fix the tabs, just be sure to get the tab back on straight. Alternatively, the housing should be marked <PS> or <ABS>, you can purchase Polystyrene (model) glue or ABS cement and repair it "right."

·
Registered
722 Posts
It's a common problem. There is a rubber piece that fits into a whole in the frame. It tends to break with time. Get a small screw and screw it into the hole and into the rubber piece. this fits the 2 together perfectly. There is no need to pay $200 for a new headlight.

·
1st SS to 5spd swap done
2,455 Posts
i can get the headlights 350 for a pair used. but im ok with a little wiggle in my headlights. you'll know its me coming up on you at nite. hahahhaa

1 - 20 of 22 Posts