Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question. from what everybody says from doing research, aftermarket exhausts don't really give anymore gains than the stock exhaust. so, if i was to get a dc header, could i use it with my stock exhaust or would i have to get an aftermarket exhaust? i love the sound my exhaust gives and if i don't have to change it, i'd rather not. is there any size difference between, let's say, thermal classic and stock? am i hearing wrong and paying $500 for a thermal exhaust well worth it? thanks!

·
Still a Mugen Whore..Damn
169 Posts
My first mod was a Mugen Header. I ran that with the stock exhaust and I still felt mid-range power gains.

I recently installed the Mugen cat-back just to complete the package.

I have a little more power now. I could've ran the stock exhaust with the Mugen Header and just waited until the stock exhaust got a hole or something, but I'm impatient!

If you like the stock exhaust, leave it on! It's not going to harm anything.

·
Registered
722 Posts
An aftermarket exhaust by itself might only add 3 or 5 whp. But a header only adds about that also. It is when you complete the I/H/E combo that you will see the most gains. If you leave the stock exhaust on you are creating a bottleneck. Personally I wouldn't bother with a header if you aren't putting on an exhaust.

·
Registered
973 Posts
^yup what he said:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
bleacht said:
i have a question. from what everybody says from doing research, aftermarket exhausts don't really give anymore gains than the stock exhaust. so, if i was to get a dc header, could i use it with my stock exhaust or would i have to get an aftermarket exhaust? i love the sound my exhaust gives and if i don't have to change it, i'd rather not. is there any size difference between, let's say, thermal classic and stock? am i hearing wrong and paying $500 for a thermal exhaust well worth it? thanks!
If you are going to get a header dont get a dc sports. Save up for a mugen or smsp when it comes out. I have a thermal exhaust and I like it a lot but if you are wanting to keep the sound of the stock exhaust you are out of luck. Thermal is definitely a lot louder than stock, but its not too loud compared to other brands. I felt a little gain on the top end with it also. I'd recommend it.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
you definitely want to upgrade to a high-flow cat as well... the 2 main bottlenecks our Preludes have is the header and the cat ;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I like my aem sr intake and apexi n1 catback exhaust (loud but fun) and next comes the greddy header, and test pipe, but that wont be intil the end of summer, Im hopping with that and the rest of my mods I'll push 200whp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts