Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a header is most likely the next mod on the list... been doin some research... first of all, does anybody make a 4-1 for a 5gen? anyway everybody keeps trashin the DC everybody wants mugen this mugen that but money is an issue... ive been thinkin about getting a JDM manifold but i havent seen any threads on it, it doesnt get mentioned much i suppose.. has anybody used it what kinda numbers does it put out when compared to some of these aftermarket companies that make a header for the lude (Oh, how few there are) I know its not carblegal but if it puts out better numbers than a DC ill take it... oh, and other suggestions are welcome too thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anybody used one of the JDM style DC headers? It has a 2.5" collector as opposed the 1.75" if im not mistaken... im only askin because everybody keeps bad mouthing the DC wanna know if theyve got opinions on this product....

·
Registered
57 Posts
As far as I know DC never came out with a JDM style header for the Prelude. DC does make a header with a 2.5" collector but its for a 4th gen. You could buy a used DC and do the 2.5" collector mod like some people have. Here are other options besides the ones listed above.

Vibrant Performance (supposedly a Mugen knockoff but looks nice heres threads for Perfomance and pics )
T1R (beautiful header that is supposedly better than Mugen but cheaper but I haven't seen dynos)
Hy Tech (expensive, does produce power)
Fujitsubo (has to be modded to fit 5th gen)
Greddy (same as above)
Holley Airmass (heres pics and info )
OBX (I hear they are junk)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i was searching through some old threads last night and read about what some people had to say about the Vibrant header... sounds pretty good to me by what people were sayin about it... but i didnt see any dyno charts.. ill check out those threads - anyway ill look into some of these other options you listed for me here thanks man...

·
Registered
57 Posts
No problem. Another header I forgot to add was the RSR. I know they had one cause the JUN Prelude used it but I have no idea where to find it and I thinks it only the top half of the header.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah JUN used an RSR on their prelude? i was wondering cuz it seems JUN only made them for B series motors right? and spoon never even touched a prelude if im not mistaken. anyway thanks again man youve been a big help... oh do you know if the vibrant is carb legal?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Vibrant is a Canadian company so I doubt they are CARB legal. I only know that JUN used an RSR header because it has it listed one the BMI dvd that I have. While looking for more info on the RSR header on this site it looks like you can bolt up a JDM downpipe to the top half of the header. According to this thread Spoon used to make a header for the H22 but disontinued it.

·
*yawn*
13,632 Posts
black'n'white said:
Ah JUN used an RSR on their prelude? i was wondering cuz it seems JUN only made them for B series motors right? and spoon never even touched a prelude if im not mistaken. anyway thanks again man youve been a big help... oh do you know if the vibrant is carb legal?
No that is not true. JUN made an H series header but it was only made for the 4th Gen.
This is the first time I've ever heard that JUN used an RSR header on their Super Lemon Prelude. I don't know why they'd do that since they made a 4th Gen Header, but perhaps they used the RSR before making their own?? Who knows. I tried finding pictures of the Super Lemon Prelude's engine bay but JUN's site has taken them down.
Want to see pictures of it?

More can be found here.
Those were taken a while ago when I was test fitting the JUN header on my 5th Gen.

Here is the RSR header that a friend has

More pictures can be seen
here.

And for the record, Spoon did in fact make a header (piece) for the H22 but it was short lived. Like the RSR, it was only the top portion and meant to be used with the stock JDM downpipe.

·
*yawn*
13,632 Posts
BigPolloLM said:
While looking for more info on the RSR header on this site it looks like you can bolt up a JDM downpipe to the top half of the header.
Yes it bolts into the JDM downpipe but from what THATPRELUDEGUY and myself have found is that the JDM downpipe will not connect to the USDM catalytic convertor without modification to the bolt holes in the last flange that meets the cat. The 3 holes on the 5 sided flange were too far apart for the USDM cat. I had to drill out the holes on the JDM Type S downpipe that THATPRELUDEGUY had for him prior to installation.
This was a shock to both of us.....what was even more of a shock was that the opening on the JDM Type S downpipe was NOT bigger than the USDM downpipe. If you have anymore questions I suggest you try asking him.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I saw on the JUN website that they have a header listed for the Prelude. Here's a pic where it lists that the header is an RSR. Which is the Vol 6 DVD.

Heres pics from the Vol 4 DVD of the engine bay and closeup of the header but it doesn't list who makes the header. You can also see that the JUN Prelude uses a SRI. It looks like they used the stock intake tube, removed the filter box and ran an aluminum extension to a cone filter to make it a SRI.

In pic of the JUN header that you posted it has a JUN badge. In the closeup of the header it looks like there is no badge. But you can see that 4th tube goes under the 2nd and 3rd to meet the 1st like the JUN header instead of the 1st going under the 2nd and 3rd to meet the 4th like the RSR header.

Also in the vid where they list the RSR header they say that the JUN Prelude has been in testing for 3 years. So who knows why they used the RSR header and not the JUN one they have listed the on their site. But also if you look at the pic of the engine bay where it lists the RSR header, it looks like the header has the same layout as the JUN header and not the RSR. I'm more confused now. Unless the pic of the RSR header you have has been flipped which I doubt.

·
Registered
510 Posts
BigPolloLM said:
T1R (beautiful header that is supposedly better than Mugen but cheaper but I haven't seen dynos)
After I get my 2.5 Carsound cat in, I'll be going in for a dyno. eBay 3" intake piping w/ HKS filter, T1R header/exhaust.

·
Registered
57 Posts
LudEnthusiast said:
After I get my 2.5 Carsound cat in, I'll be going in for a dyno. eBay 3" intake piping w/ HKS filter, T1R header/exhaust.
Nice. Make sure you post up your results. I can't wait to see. I saw that someone had a dyno with a T1R header in the N/A forum but he had smaller diameter cat and exhaust. I've wanted to see a dyno with a T1R header and exhaust and a hiflow cat. So please post results. :)

P.S.
Love your car

·
*yawn*
13,632 Posts
BigPolloLM said:
But also if you look at the pic of the engine bay where it lists the RSR header, it looks like the header has the same layout as the JUN header and not the RSR. I'm more confused now. Unless the pic of the RSR header you have has been flipped which I doubt.
Well the header shown in the video is NOT the RSR regardless of what the captions say. What's actually on the car isn't relevant to the original poster's questions though so we should just leave this to rest. :laugh:

·
Registered
662 Posts
black'n'white said:
/\ /\ /\ im jealous of you... AllmotorBB6, any opinions on the less expensive Vibrant header???

well it wont make the power of an RMF, SMSP or DTR header but it is a copy of the mugen header which does make pretty good gains over the dc header and makes a little more over the greddy header. Overall, it seems to be a pretty decent header if you dont wanna pay another 200 or so for a RMF piece.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AllMotorBB6 said:
well it wont make the power of an RMF, SMSP or DTR header but it is a copy of the mugen header which does make pretty good gains over the dc header and makes a little more over the greddy header. Overall, it seems to be a pretty decent header if you dont wanna pay another 200 or so for a RMF piece.
really, only 200 more? the vibrants only about 500 bucks i thought the rmf was about 1100...?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts