Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got my header installed + cat delete!

My old exhaust set up was DC header, OEM cat, Tanabe Super Racing Medalion. Sound was near stock-quiet with the silencer in place, and sounded aggressive but not too loud without.

The plan is to install my new header + delete the cat. The cat has been passing the honeycomb element out of the muffler and so I've decided to just replace w/ a straight pipe. Also, this works out because the header is for a bb4 and is longer than the type SH header, and so by using my own piping I can bridge the gap between the header and catback to make everything fit.

The new parts: Mugen header, 2 ft 2.375"OD/60mm circumference stainless steel (18 gauge / 2.25"ID), 2x O2 bungs, 1 set of HELP! anti foulers to avoid CEL from cat removal, 18x1.5 bolt (80's toyota oil drain plug) to plug O2 bung on header B-pipe.
Pipe: $59.23 <- :( (Burns Stainless)
Two 02 Bungs: $4 (Muffler shop)
Pack of anti-foulers: $4.99 (Autozone )
18x1.5 bolt: $3.29 (Napa)

O2 sensor (bung) snow man:

What it should look like:

Welding done:

Installed:

I haven't driven much yet, but so far no CEL w/ the anti-fouler mod :D
The most noticeable thing is that my car is super loud now in the cabin. I haven't tested it w/ the silencer out, but I dunno if I want to considering the volume as it is now :unsure:

·
Registered
11 Posts
damn dude nice i like that setup.. no cat is loud i got a test pipe and is loud as hell too loud for me.. but hp gain are noticeable so that always good... bump for u

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Hey I'm glad you got yourself a set of Mugens, that should work out real nice for you.

I'm not feeling the quality of the welds though. Looks kinda rough ...

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It def is loud in the car, and buzzy - but outside tho (i had my bro in law rev while i was outside, and he took a listen from outside too) sounds good and while it IS loud, isnt super loud as long as the gas isnt mashed.

gonna get efi pms installed, and i'll see how i do w/ power :)

and yeah, the welds aren't perfect - a friend did it for me and sorta taught me a little about welding - but i'm happy as long as they hold out ok.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update!
I found an exhaust leak between the catback and straight pipe. I rebolted the pipe together and fixed the leak, and now my car is A LOT more quiet both inside and outside. There is no more constant buzzing or droning in the cabin.

Also, I definately noticed increased power driving today - especially between 2.8-3.5k.
I love this :D

·
Banned
57 Posts
Update!
I found an exhaust leak between the catback and straight pipe. I rebolted the pipe together and fixed the leak, and now my car is A LOT more quiet both inside and outside. There is no more constant buzzing or droning in the cabin.

Also, I definately noticed increased power driving today - especially between 2.8-3.5k.
I love this :D
:bigthumb: good to hear...

·
NA High Comp Build ON !!!
409 Posts
and yeah, the welds aren't perfect - a friend did it for me and sorta taught me a little about welding - but i'm happy as long as they hold out ok.
I'm curious, why didn't your friend teach you to weld on a flange to bolt up the test pipe to the catback?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts