Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It refuses to stay in position when I slide it over the hot end. If I hold it there, i get hot air. But if i let go, it slides back to about 3/4 way, and i don't get hot air anymore....BRRR!

This is the third honda i have owned, and this is the first time i have seen something like this. I opened it up and looked at it, but I didn't want to just spray wd-40 randomly in there...any tips or suggestions?

Neel

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I'm having the same problem. My friend had the same problem with his Civic and somehow he fixed it. When I get in touch with him, I'll let you know.

JP

·
retired
7,431 Posts
i have similar problems. i just left it and now my only means of controlling the temperature depends on how much i roll down my windows

------------------
97 Black Lude, 5spd
AIM: SADWAP97

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've had that problem. Push the recycled air button and try to move the slider. I did that and it solved the problem, now my slider is smooth again.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
I fixed mine (mostly). You have to adjust the heater control cable under the passenger dashboard, and the heater control valve just behind the engine block (at least it is on the 4th gen). You should also adjust the aix mixture cable. You can get to everything (except the air mix control cable) just by peeking under the passenger dashboard. The cable is held in by somewhat of a clip, but you release it from there, and then adjust the slack. I think it's the heater control valve that is the main problem, I think it sticks when you try to move it w/ the lever, but when I move it manually, it works fine.

I'd recommend checking a Helms manual. Before I had my Helms, I went in to a Barnes and Noble with a sheet of paper, and grabbed a Chiltons manual. I wrote down everything I had to do to adjust it, and drew all the pictures that were there... so if you don't have a Helms (yet), you can go look at a Chiltons in a store.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
erik,

I think you are right on your diagnosis. I looked at everything, and it seems the heater control valve is sticking. I am going to snoop around a little more to see if this is the problem. i will keep you posted. Thanks.

neel

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Neel -- For some reason, on mine, there's not enough slack on the heater control cable, so I can't even pull out the cable, and adjust the hot/cold lever all the way to cold, it stays about 1/4 from the edge of the cold side. I'm going to take off the whole thing and try to play around with it to see if I can fix it.. sometime.

Right now, if I have it set all the way to HOT, it works fine, and I can slide it over to COLD (almost all the way, I don't have enuf slack to go full, and of course it slides with some effort). When it's on COLD, it will slide over to HOT very very easily, but, the part that the heater control cable attatches to (under passesger side dash) will not move with it. So I reach under and adjust it manually.

For right now, it's not up there on my "things to worry about" list, I'll totally fix it sometime.

What I think my problem is, is that the cable that runs through the firewall from inside the car (the part that the heater control cable attatches to) to the heater control valve (just behind the engine block) is sticking. Which is why I can adjust it to HOT to COLD (pulling the cable), but not from COLD to HOT (pushing the cable, aparently not enough force to adjust the cable in the firewall).

Sorry that was so long, but it might help you out a little. I know this is a relatively common problem.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, erik, i think you are right on. I looked at mine, and discovered that i pulled the wire right out of the lever by applying too much force (don't know my own strength

I also think that the cable is sticking somewhere. mine is now stuck in teh cold position, and i cannot move the lever by hand at all right now, even from under the dash. And the cable connections in the engine bay are so hard to reach. I need to see if there is a way to free up this, and i guess now is the time to do it, while it is warm. Thank god this won't happen in the winter. And unfortunately i don't have the extended warranty, although I am now thinking about getting it, since i need a new 02 sensor and maybe i could get this fixed too!

let's keep eachother posted if we have a breakthrough. It really shouldn't be this complicated.

Neel

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Ok.

Mine was stuck in the COLD position also, it happened during a road rally earlier in March, I was trying to adjust it, and pop.. no more adjustability. This was what got me to fix mine in the first place.

For the heater control valve in the engine bay, all you have to do is remove your intake tube, and then the cable in there has a clip on it that you can pop off (it's held on at a hinge so it wont fly off or anything). This is where it's located on a 4th gen, I don't know what you're driving, I'm assuming 5th since you mentioned the extended warrenty.

Take the heater control valve and adjust it so it's inline with the 'hose' that it's on. then put the cable back on.

If you pop the adjuster cable off from under the passenger dash, you should be able to adjust the arm manually, then put the cable back on.

If the cable would be pushing the arm out, it will be set on HOT, if the cable would be pulling the arm in, it will be set on COLD.

I'll post up when I get the whole darn dash taken apart.. seeing as how that's the only thing left that I can really do.

Hope that helps you out!

-E-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

www.thatchland.com

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, i do have a 5th gen, but your descriptions are all relevant and accurate to the 5th gen as well. i also have the helm's manual so that has been helpful. I need to trace whether it is
1. the cable from the under dash lever to the engine bay is sticking

2. the lever under the dash is stuck

3. the valve in the engine bay is stuck.

thanks for the tip on removing the intake tube, that should make things a little easier so i can get that hinge off and attack from teh passenger's side rather than the driver's side.

I also noticed that if you use to much force on the dash slider, the cable in the control unit pops out of its clamp and then the cable sleeve blocks the cable movement...something to keep in mind.

Neel

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
None of my sliders work.........wait a minute........I don't have sliders with digital

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Erik,

Ok, after a weekend of investigating, I have the same exact problem as you. The heater valve cable and heater valve arm are not moving. When the air mixture control arm is moved back and forth, the cable just coils and doesn't move the valve arm. When i reached for and attempted to move the valve arm by hand, it wouldn't budge, but it was still attached to the heater control cable. I am going to ask how much the dealer wants to fix this, because it is getting to be a major PIA! If it looks like a lot, then one weekend, i will pull the intake off, and if the arm then moves, i will replace the cable.

Thanks again for your help Erik.

Neel

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
No prob Neel.

Has anyone else tried to fix this yet?

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

www.thatchland.com

·
retired
7,431 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thatchmaster:
Right now, if I have it set all the way to HOT, it works fine, and I can slide it over to COLD (almost all the way, I don't have enuf slack to go full, and of course it slides with some effort). When it's on COLD, it will slide over to HOT very very easily, but, the part that the heater control cable attatches to (under passesger side dash) will not move with it. So I reach under and adjust it manually.

For right now, it's not up there on my "things to worry about" list, I'll totally fix it sometime.

-Erik

</font>
hey, i have this exact same problem. my slider right now is pushed 3/4 to the COLD side, but won't go all the way, and when i push it to the HOT side, the slider moves, but the cable doesn't push the valve over. Whenever i want it to go to HOT, i would have to reach under the passenger dash to adjust it like you. It sucks not being able to have the temp. adjustability. My air conditioner hasn't worked for a year also, so i have learned to use my windows and sun roof for those hot so cal summer days

please let us know if you have a solution to this problem.

------------------
My Car

·
&quot;PO Doc&quot;
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, I made a call to the local dealer...a rough estimate of about $200 was what i was given. Seems like a lot for a stupid cable, which i think the culprit. I am not ready to give my money up to the dealer just yet, just by principle, until I have exhausted my full efforts.

Sadwap, your A/C problem sounds somewhat unrelated to the one Erik and I are talking of, but I recommend getting the Helm manual if you don't already have it. There are many pages referring to the A/C system and it is probably worth investigating.

Neel

·
retired
7,431 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nmehta211:
well, I made a call to the local dealer...a rough estimate of about $200 was what i was given. Seems like a lot for a stupid cable, which i think the culprit. I am not ready to give my money up to the dealer just yet, just by principle, until I have exhausted my full efforts.

Sadwap, your A/C problem sounds somewhat unrelated to the one Erik and I are talking of, but I recommend getting the Helm manual if you don't already have it. There are many pages referring to the A/C system and it is probably worth investigating.

Neel
</font>
yea i already have a helm. ive read about the A/C part but i still cant figure it out.
i've had this problem for months already, so it's not THAT big of a hassle anymore. just sucks you know.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I like the fact that when you slide the temp lever towards cool the air then blows HARDER when it was already too strong to begin with!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts