Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, remember about a month or two ago when a topic got posted about removing a rubber damper/brace that was located on the bumper, no one was exactly sure what it was or what it did. well i talked to someone who is an automotive engineer and he filled me in. that piece is a harmonic damper and not any type of brace. specifically it is used to get rid of low frequency resonance that the engine sometimes causes in the chasis of the car. he went on to say that it doesn't serve much of a purpose anymore as manufacturers are better at getting rid of harmonics in other ways but they are still used as preventive maintenance on occassion. i asked him if it would be alright to take it off...he said sure, no problems there, there will be no short term effects from it and any long term effect that will be caused by it will be things like loosened bolts, and it will take a long long time for this to happen....well, just thought i'd update that.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
It's that black spongy thing behind the grill right? (We're talking 5th gens right?)

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH (stock)
-15.4 @ 90.8 (finally! ;))

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
hey guys, remember about a month or two ago when a topic got posted about removing a rubber damper/brace that was located on the bumper, no one was exactly sure what it was or what it did. well i talked to someone who is an automotive engineer and he filled me in. that piece is a harmonic damper and not any type of brace. specifically it is used to get rid of low frequency resonance that the engine sometimes causes in the chasis of the car. he went on to say that it doesn't serve much of a purpose anymore as manufacturers are better at getting rid of harmonics in other ways but they are still used as preventive maintenance on occassion. i asked him if it would be alright to take it off...he said sure, no problems there, there will be no short term effects from it and any long term effect that will be caused by it will be things like loosened bolts, and it will take a long long time for this to happen....well, just thought i'd update that.</font>
Are you talking about that 12lb cylinder behind the front bumper? I had a wierd resonsance in my car in the 2700-3200 rpm range at low speed. I took it to the dealer, and they told me it was becasue I had a piece of my security system mounted on a brace that holds that dampner... The piece was throwing off the dampening affect and vibrating.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Uhhh... I thought this had been discussed before. It IS a damper, and it's removal has no noticeable affect on the car. Mine's been out since I bought the car new.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
I still do not like the idea of removing anything that is a harmonic dampener. Vibration = bad.

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Luder:
I still do not like the idea of removing anything that is a harmonic dampener. Vibration = bad.

</font>
Ahh,you're just gunshy now. From all accounts this is to reduce idle vibration transmitted to the chassis (passengers). Considering previous ludes didn't have this, or many other models, I'm betting it's not quite as bad as removing the crank balancer!

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
but why remove it? is it heavy or something?

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
but why remove it? is it heavy or something?</font>
Yeah, it's like 12 pounds of crap just sitting up in your bumper. Unless you just like to be heavy, put your car on a diet

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Yeah, it's like 12 pounds of crap just sitting up in your bumper. Unless you just like to be heavy, put your car on a diet
</font>
Plus it's waaaay out in the front of the car, so it would affect weight dist. and handling balance a lot more than 12 lbs. should. But probably still negligable.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Ahh,you're just gunshy now. From all accounts this is to reduce idle vibration transmitted to the chassis (passengers). Considering previous ludes didn't have this, or many other models, I'm betting it's not quite as bad as removing the crank balancer!</font>
Nah, its not that, its just that Ive had several classes in this feild and have had labs where we blew up specimens with harmonics and vibration, sometimes we did it with all kinds of stuff linked to the specimen. Its cool in a lab, not on my car...

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
see thats exactly why i asked an automotive engineer, i figured that would be the kind of person to ask on this type of thing. he could put all our amateur guesses away and give us the straight truth...well there it is anyways, do with it what you will.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts