Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering...can a stock SH out-handle a base with suspension mods (ie. Eibach or Neuspeed springs with Koni Yellows)?...just curious...

anyone have any specs (ie. Skidpad ratings, G's, etc)

TIA

------------------
99 Black Lude w/ Leather

"Let us combine all our efforts as Honda to go out there and win"
-Soichiro Honda, 1954

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ggweci:
just wondering...can a stock SH out-handle a base with suspension mods (ie. Eibach or Neuspeed springs with Koni Yellows)?...just curious...</font>
hmmm you mean the other way round?

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hopefor13:
i wanna give malken head just for the hell of it.......</font>

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Probably not. The stock shocks and springs are pretty soft. As good as the ATTS is, I dont think that alone (well, I guess you can also include the smaller front swaybar of the SH which gives less understeer), can negate the overall softness of the stock SH setup.

It might be course dependent though. The SH can put the power down earlier and more effectively than the open-diff base.

IMO, it's hard to quantify how a car "handles" better than another car. I dont really trust skidpad or slalom numbers, unless the tests were done back to back at the same time, same place, same conditions. If you want to see which car "handles" better, put both cars on a track with an qualified driver and see what the clock says.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
Originally posted by ggweci:
just wondering...can a stock SH out-handle a base with suspension mods (ie. Eibach or Neuspeed springs with Koni Yellows)?...just curious...</font>
hmmm you mean the other way round?

no, that's what i mean...maybe it's phrased a little confusing at first glance
...but this is what i mean...

SH: stock
Base: Springs and Shocks
(ie. H&R/Neuspeed/Eibach and Koni Yellows)

which will handle better?

------------------
99 Black Lude w/ Leather

"Let us combine all our efforts as Honda to go out there and win"
-Soichiro Honda, 1954

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
it's really quite a different thing. i drove HRCs base w/eibachs and koni yellows this weekend. then we drove the same route but i was in my car, so i had a good opportunity for comparison. he also has a front strut bar and both bars in the back. we're both running on 215/40/17s (his are AVS (?) and mine SP-02).

the most noticeable difference is that his suspension is a lot stiffer which results in a lot less body roll and less floating over bumps and changes in grade. it felt more secure especially when coming up over a crest around a bend at "high" speeds. ATTS really has nothing to do with that though. shocks and springs won't replicate the function of ATTS when you're on the gas during and through a turn. hrc's car handles pretty awesome, but when i got on mine through some of the same turns i had a different but equally large grin on my face. the SH just sort of stays glued on target and pulls itself around the turn. it's hard to explain.

best of both worlds would be an SH with springs and dampers. i'd do it but i don't want to lower at all.

[This message has been edited by schwett (edited April 30, 2001).]

·
Registered
906 Posts
To answer you ?- I'd like to see an SH keep up with my base in the twisties. And the SH doesn't help put the power down, except maybe in the corners under acceleration. A Quaife helps to put the power down off the line AND in the corners. Of course, MY base is a far cry from stock when it comes to suspension..

Tein HA's
Light 17's with Dunlop SP 9000's
ST rear sway bar
Neuspeed front strut bar
Camber kits all around
Quaife LSD
DC Sports rear lower tie bar

·
Registered
324 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spocko:
To answer you ?- I'd like to see an SH keep up with my base in the twisties. And the SH doesn't help put the power down, except maybe in the corners under acceleration. A Quaife helps to put the power down off the line AND in the corners. Of course, MY base is a far cry from stock when it comes to suspension..

Tein HA's
Light 17's with Dunlop SP 9000's
ST rear sway bar
Neuspeed front strut bar
Camber kits all around
Quaife LSD
DC Sports rear lower tie bar
</font>
I agree, and my setup still cost less

------------------
Flavour
98 Base, Black