Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and didn't find anybody that did this, nor do a write-up on this, but...

I bought a half-mast switch, and came to think... Do I need a JDM power antenna to make this work? Or would it be possible to wire this switch to my (USDM) antenna and have it function?

Has anybody added the half-mast switch to their USDM Prelude that can lend a hand?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I remember seeing a write up.

It seemed like it was a pain to get working.
You will need an antenna that is capable of going half-mast,
I think in the write up, the writer used an accord antenna,
but you will not be able to use our OEM antennas that I know of.

There may be a way to modify the original, but I haven't seen it done.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
It isnt a pain in the ass to do. It is acutally very easy. You need the jdm antenna for it to work though. the actuall antenna has the relays built into it, so you need to wire up like 2 or 3 wires. pm ludevtec95, i know he just got one in his car and it isworking flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot. I'll go ahead and get a JDM Antenna and I'll do a little walkthrough and post it up. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
518 Posts
its already been done. search for it. there is a write up by one of the members on this board

·
Registered
372 Posts
UWNTSUM said:
its already been done. search for it. there is a write up by one of the members on this board
do u remember who it was that did the writeup cuz i searched and searched and i cannot find a thing....

·
Banned
523 Posts
I don't have anything JDM as far as this write-up goes, except for the switch. I'm wanting to wire it so that the switch controls whether my antenna goes all the way up or all the way down, since when my stereo is on, the antenna is always up, and I rarely listen to the radio. I tried adding a wire to the pin-out on the harness so that the switch would basically act as a light switch, but I get nothing. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I tried several different setups. I put the black wire to a ground, then connected the yellow/white to the yellow/white on my stereo, but at the point I get nothing. I'm guessing b/c the switch doesn't have any power coming to it?? lol, hlelp, lol :confused:

·
Registered
372 Posts
chester said:
I don't have anything JDM as far as this write-up goes, except for the switch. I'm wanting to wire it so that the switch controls whether my antenna goes all the way up or all the way down, since when my stereo is on, the antenna is always up, and I rarely listen to the radio. I tried adding a wire to the pin-out on the harness so that the switch would basically act as a light switch, but I get nothing. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I tried several different setups. I put the black wire to a ground, then connected the yellow/white to the yellow/white on my stereo, but at the point I get nothing. I'm guessing b/c the switch doesn't have any power coming to it?? lol, hlelp, lol :confused:
just disconnect the power to the antenna from the radio harness.....

·
Banned
523 Posts
Got it...used the black ground wire and the reg/green wire to split the antenna wire. Just trying to figure out the power to the LED now. I can't get it to come on, but the LED in my foglight switch that I tried with the same wiring will.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I want to do the same thing as chester and wire my half-mast switch to control whether the antenna goes up or down. My question to chester, or anyone who would know, is how do you wire the switch so the led goes on when the antenna is up, and off when the antenna is down? Thank you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Half Antenna Mast Switch
-------------------------
yel/wht - 12v from radio (active/inactive indicator)
red ----- lights gnd
blk ----- gnd
red/blk - 12v lights on
grn/red - gnd unpushed, none pushed

Antenna (USDM)
--------
yel/wht - from radio - 12v open, none close
wht/yel - 12v constant
blk ----- gnd

relay (open/close antenna)
--------------------------
85 -- yel/wht - 12v from radio
86 -- grn/red - from switch - gnd unpushed, none pushed
30 -- yel/wht - 12v from radio
87 --
87a -- yel/wht - 12v to antenna

87 connects to 30 when there is pos(+) and neg(-) in the 85 and 86
87a connects to 30 when the above not happens (one of the 85 or 86 must have nothing, no charge or no ground)

pushed will open antenna, unpushed will close it

if you want to go the other way... pushed will close antenna, unpushed will open it... just change the 87a to the 87

it will close when you turn off the radio or acc automatically... i guess

thanks to Qveon

·
Registered
243 Posts
i havent installed it yet... also my antenna is broken... but im pretty sure that it will work

i have pre wired it... from the radio to the center console...

if you have buyed the switch and havent found the jdm antenna... then you can do my wiring...

if you have the jdm antenna... go with Qveon's wiring (http://home.comcast.net/~qveonmail/jdmantenna.pdf)

that will be about the same i wrote but you dont need the relay

Antenna (JDM)
--------
yel/wht - from radio - 12v open, none close
wht/yel - 12v constant
blk ----- gnd
grn/red - from switch - gnd unpushed (full opened), none pushed (half mast)

you will need to do the switch wiring and run the grn/red wire from the switch to the antenna

·
Registered
243 Posts
trying to make the half mast with the usdm antenna... im not sure about it... try at your own risk (should not damage it)

relay (open/close antenna)
--------------------------
85 -- yel/wht - 12v from radio
86 -- grn/red - from switch - gnd unpushed, none pushed
30 -- yel/wht - 12v from radio
87 -- yel/wht - 12v to antenna (full open)
87a - yel/wht - 12v to antenna WITH A RESISTOR (should do a half mast or something like that)

V=I*R.... i calculated 6ohm assuming that it have 2A and 24ohm assuming it have 500mA

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good ol' ohm's law.
Wow, it's been almost 3 years since I started this thread.
Turns out I just got a JDM antenna ONLY 2 days ago! I've installed it, now I've just got to wire it up.

My engine is out right now, doing a complete overhaul, so I'll wire it up after I get the car started!

Yeah, after I learned that the JDM antenna has a seperate relay attached to it, I just waited for one to pop up on eBay. Great timing too, my stock atenna broke off!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts