Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of info on H22's, but who here has modded the H23 and what type of effects did these mods have?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
So far I only have a custom 2.5" exhaust with DTM style muffler and a custom intake. I am debating if I should stay with the H23A or go with a new VTEC motor so I am keeping the engine mods to a minimum.

I can feel some gains with the exhaust and intake, but nothing to get excited about.

JP

·
Registered
188 Posts
pretty similar stuff here. i've done an exhaust again with DTM muffler(hehe, nice choice), intake, headers, crankcase breather, and ignition wires on the engine. the intake and headers were the most noticeable change, the intake was great and the headers really helped strengthen up the midrange the exhaust was pretty minimal in my opinion. the wires helped smooth out the engine, it probably idles a little better with them thats about it. the crankcase breather was probably the best $10.00 investment i've ever made, it has helped cool down the engine and the intake dramatically if you only have $10.00 to spend this is what you should do. I've also got a neuspeed front strut brace, definitely do this. and energy suspension rear sway bar bushings which also helped out tons if you can deal with the squeks that they make. the front bushings were supposed to be on but they sent the wrong ones. as far as engine i think i'll eventually go turbo so i probably wont do much more engine work and since i autocross it really isn't that big of a deal if i do more engine work...hope that helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Intake, Header, Exhaust, Ported and Polished Head, Ported and Polished and Port Matched Intake Manifold, Overbore Throttle body, JG1001 Cams, AEM Cam Gears, 11.5:1 Pistons, Crower Rods, Center Force Clutch, Findanza Flywheel, Stainless Steel Valves, High Rev Springs, Msd ignition, Plugs, Wires, 75 Shot of N2O, in the future upgraded fuel pump, rail, and injectors, Tons of suspension parts and CF Hood, and Race
Seats and Steering Wheel along with Stereo System

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hey gotryce, what times are you putting down? Hopefully you can convince me to keep my motor. But then I'll definitely need FI.

Thanks
JP

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Well, I am stock right now. Plan on slapping on at least intake and headers by the end of summer. Gotryce, what times are you running man? That's an impressive list of mods. My buddy had i/h/e and ran 15.8 at lacr and that was with 250,000 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
the crankcase breather was probably the best $10.00 investment i've ever made, it has helped cool down the engine and the intake dramatically if you only have $10.00 to spend this is what you should do. </font>
Don't know where you came up with that but the crank case breather on both the H22 and H23 takes in air on it's own. It does not expel air into the intake pipe. So you didn't cool down your engine or intake temps any. How would this cool your engine temps anyhow?

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
282 Posts
i dont have **** now...

i had an CAI...but i want a 5th gen intake (cause its bigger) so i sold it...

plans in this order...plug wires, 5th gen AEM CAI...DC exhaust...(then decide if i'm gonna go turbo or NOS)

the engine is really strong...i ran a 15.6 stock w/100k miles...the only complaint is the 6500 rpm redline...wish it was higher...it really needs some top end power...thats why i'm lookin into turbo or NOS...

------------------
1994 Black Prelude 2.3L DOHC 5-speed

·
Registered
188 Posts
the crankcase breather thing.

when i put it on i expected absolutely nothing from it, i figured id put it on for cosmetic reasons, and because if i spent another $10 i got $50 off of my total purchase...so, i put it on. as far as the intake pipe not heating up as much, there is a transfer of air from the head to the intake pipe, yeah the breather is supposed to draw air but it does a pretty good job of getting the pipe warmer, hook it up and check it out, its very noticeable, i'm talking noticeable enough that you can put your hand over the intake pipe and feel the difference. try it out.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Wow, it's a H23A reunion.

I also thought the breather thing was bad too. Something about needing pressure, not releasing pressure. Wouldn't it expel hot air from the valve cover into the intake, making it hotter? Now I'm confused.

jp

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
I did the whole I/H/E thing.
Overrated. I like the headers, that was about it. Nothing else seemed to add anything.

Best thing was shocks and tires
That helped a whole bunch, but cost a bunch too.

·
Registered
800 Posts
the crankcase breather thing.

when i put it on i expected absolutely nothing from it, i figured id put it on for cosmetic reasons, and because if i spent another $10 i got $50 off of my total purchase...so, i put it on. as far as the intake pipe not heating up as much, there is a transfer of air from the head to the intake pipe, yeah the breather is supposed to draw air but it does a pretty good job of getting the pipe warmer, hook it up and check it out, its very noticeable, i'm talking noticeable enough that you can put your hand over the intake pipe and feel the difference. try it out.
</font>
I'm not trying to flame you but how in the heck can the crank case transfer heat to the intake if the crankcase sucks in air from the intake? Sorry but all intakes heat up when you run the car, it's just the heat under the hood being transfered to the piping. It has squat to do with the crank case being hooked up to the intake. My intake is as hot now as it was before I but the breather on. Heat cannot be transfered upstream, it's physically impossible.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude

·
Registered
97 Posts
Actually guys, I have base runs on the track with a 15.17 @93 with just intake and no exhaust, but I do have all that stuff I listed my motor isnt all put back together yet, but Im expectin high 13s all motor with slicks, and somewhere in the 12s with the Nitrous with slicks Ill let everyone know when I run it when its done

·
Registered
188 Posts
heat not being able to be transferred upstream is like saying current cannot backflow through a circuit. yeah in theory it sounds nice but it just isn't true. is the crankcase sucking air in, yeah i think thats the theory. is the head hot? yes. does this heat up the ambient air temperatures, yep. tell ya what, i'll see if i can get ahold of a heat gun that i use in labs and i'll take some measurements with and without the breather hooked up.

·
Registered
800 Posts
heat not being able to be transferred upstream is like saying current cannot backflow through a circuit. yeah in theory it sounds nice but it just isn't true. is the crankcase sucking air in, yeah i think thats the theory.</font>
As long as the PCV valve is working correctly and you are not running any sort of FI the valve cover breather will only suck in air. You can run a simple experiment to verify this. Take a balloon and put it over the outlet on the valve cover. I did it and under no conditions could I get air to go into the balloon. A little may leak back every once and a while but I garuntee that it is not enough to make an appreciable difference in temperature.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude

1 - 15 of 15 Posts