Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the h23 head bolt up and run relatively easily? would there be gains from this if he swapped only the head, leaving the f22 intake manifold and intake and exhaust manifold?

i did a couple searches and it seems like there has been a lot of discussion but nothing really definitive.

full swap is not an option.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
f22 from a 4th gen prelude s.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
No way in hell. The H23 is DOHC, the F22 is SOHC.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know the F22 in question is SOHC, and i figured it wasn't an easy swap to do. would it bolt up? there's not much going on in the block related to whether there's one cam or two... would the timing belt have to be custom made, or is the cog on the crank the same size with the F22 and H22/H23? (should be...?)

to go a different direction, how much would you guys estimate a h23 swap would cost on a prelude s.... for reasons beyond me, this particular prelude s already has an h23 tranny.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
4bidden said:
No way in hell. The H23 is DOHC, the F22 is SOHC.
And? If everything else lines up, why wouldn't it work? There's nothing in the actual block that dictates whether or not it's SOHC or DOHC.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cantdrive55 said:

And? If everything else lines up, why wouldn't it work? There's nothing in the actual block that dictates whether or not it's SOHC or DOHC.
that's what i thought.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the bore is different (85 vs 87) but i don't think the bore spacing is, since they use the same crank afaik.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
in your first post you say leavng the intake and exhaust manifolds on from the f22. niether will bolt up to the h23 head. i would think you could get a h23 downpipe and header for near free and it shoudl bolt up to the cat on the car.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, so one would need the H23 intake and exhaust manifolds... bore size is different but bore spacing is not. any other reasons why it can't be done?

·
Registered
298 Posts
ok lets say it could be done.

now ask WHY would you even want to do it... for the cost of making it work you might as well get an f22b or h23a engine....

jus my opinion...

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Perhaps he's going to be the guinnea pig for a new hybrid setup?

J

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
To be blunt....

It would be a stupid idea. End of discussion. :)

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
they use the same crank and rods....but

The bore is different 85mm vs. 87mm

Also the F22a sleeves can't be bored out, cause they have no FRM.

The main reason you can't do it is that the SOHC block andd DOHC heads have different head bolt patterns, so it just doesn't work like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ok what are you talking about dude

i H23 head will not bolt up to a F22 block b/c the h23 is a (DOHC) duel overhead cam and the f22 is a (SOHC) single overhead cam this is not poasible b/c the f22 has a compeltey different bolt padnerd then the H23 head so it will not fit

see the motor that can in 4th gen prelude or the H23a , H22a and the F22a
the H22 and the H23 or both duel; overhead cam and the f22 that can in the type s the lowest modle in the 4th gen family of preludes is a SOHC or know as a piece of ****

if you plan on putting a turbo or a superchager on it then go with the H23 b/c the H22 it V-TEC and personely you dont want a turbo V-tec if you are not then get the H22 that makes 195HP the H23 makes 165 HP nad the f22 makes liek nothing only like 135 HP so ya

email me if you need help on any thing and i have a lot of H23 stuff for sale to

my e-mail is [email protected]

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: ok what are you talking about dude

thanks for all the info everyone. i'm helping a friend rehabilitate an old prelude S, so we're just considering the options. the head needs work in any case, so we were hoping there were some options out there.

bkpreludesi3 said:
if you plan on putting a turbo or a superchager on it then go with the H23 b/c the H22 it V-TEC and personely you dont want a turbo V-tec if you are not then get the H22 that makes 195HP the H23 makes 165 HP nad the f22 makes liek nothing only like 135 HP so ya
bkpreludesi : thanks for the input but no information is better than misinformation. almost universally, a well tuned h22 turbo setup puts down more power than h23 turbo. there are no supercharger kits for the h23. and it's vtec, not v-tec. other than that, thanks. ;)

·
formally Sik96prelude
1,061 Posts
Look it is very possible and excellent for boost. I was about to have it done before I destroyed my boosted H23. There is a guy in Albuquerque that has done 5 now, and all work perfectly. There is slight modifications that need to be done but the fact that one is SOHC and one is DOHC does not make it impossible for who ever said that. Open your mind the head fits and is very close to just a bolt on.

·
formally Sik96prelude
1,061 Posts
Also what is wrong with a turbo on VTEC??? Do you know what you are talking about? I think not. Have you had boost? if not don't read anymore. Do some research or check out my sig. The H22 will make more HP and torque than the H23 will any day of the week. People say go with a H23 because of lower compression when in reality it would be better and more beneficial to just build a H22 with boost. I will tell you though things are differnt on a B series, though as a LS B18b will make more HP and torque that a GSR will. But again you can build the GSR as well to match. If you want more info just PM me bkpreludesi3 or go to the turbo forum. I am done writting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts