Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if I am vague with what questions I'm asking here. The quick story is this, bought my prelude about 6 months back (01 base model) with 170k on it. Tensioner went only two weeks into owning it, resulting in two bent valves. I had the head rebuilt and got it back on the road.

I had some things done to it while it was off the road, balance shaft eliminator, skunk2 intake mani, skunk2 70mm throttle body, AEM v2, eBay headers/test pipe and OBX Cat Back. I then grabbed a p28 ECU and got it street tuned on Crome. The car seemed to run pretty rich before the tune, seems to be a lot better now.

Anyway, lets fast forward a few months now. Cars been running good, maybe some minimal smoking which smelt like fuel still so I figured it was still running rich. I went to Honda Day in NJ and left the car home, I come back after letting the car sit for 3 days and it's been burning oil pretty bad since. I can see the smoke behind me while I'm driving. So I'm gonna go ahead and assume after some beating on the car with high mileage, my pistons are probably shot.

A good friend of mine gave me a free complete h23 block. I'd like to build this car all motor and would love to see close to 300hp. I have this block that I can build at my own pace without taking my car off the road and I actually got my hands on a loaner h22 head that I can replace with the head in my car when the swap is done.

So HERE's my question, I've done some research and I can't seem to find a straight answer. Will I be able to run the h23 block with the h22 head? I've read here and there that the crank can walk at high rpm's. Wiseco makes a 13.1 compression for the h23 block which would be perfect for what I want. I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable person out there with internals and the people that will be putting it together assume it will work. I just don't want to build this motor and then blow it up the first time I go down the track.

I'm looking for a reliable but fun daily driver, which is why I'm staying away from boost. I don't mind spending the money to make this work as I will be taking my time with it. I know sleeving a h22 block will not be cheap though, and I have a free h23 block in my possession. I really just want to know if its worth it. I would plan on also doing Skunk2 Pro2 cams, titanium gears, and rebuilding the new head to accommodate for the block.

If you've read this novel I just wrote, thank you and your input would be GREATLY appreciated. Again, I apologize if I sound kind of clueless, I just don't want to start ordering parts for something that won't work. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
300hp h22 DD car? IMO not gonna happen... yuo have to get so massive cams that street driveablity suffers and it gonna drink so much fuel that you dont wanna drive it everyday ;)

youre looking at
stage 3 cams + good valvetrain
full custom exhaust
professional ported head & other headwork
overbored 13 comp pistons and new rods (resleeving the block)
ITBs
better injectors
better fuel pump
good clutch
better transmission w LSD
better oil pump(?)

so you have to ditch kinda almost everything you got now and new every part what you got there! so you need something like 8K there

250hp is pretty easy to gain, but after that you need LOTS OF MONEY for every hp what youre planning to achieve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just throwing somewhere close to 300hp as a number. I'd be content with 250hp but 270hp would be my goal. I'm aware that I'm gonna need a custom 3" exhaust along with long tube headers. The whole exhaust that I have now costed me under $300 so I don't mind getting rid of it. The machine shop work isn't a problem as a good friend of mine can take of me. I already picked up better injectors and a fuel rail. Fuel pump is a cheap fix at $90 so I'm not worried about that either.

My main question is will I be able to run the h23 block with the h22 head? I dont mind what its gonna cost me, I just dont want to go through all of this for it not to work. I'll be getting the full balance shaft eliminator kit and getting it all balanced at the machine shop. If I do that the crank shouldn't walk right?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The machine shop work isn't a problem as a good friend of mine can take of me.
is he professional engine builder? because any fool can ruin your head, but only professionals who have build race engines for decades can get the hp's out of it!

I already picked up better injectors and a fuel rail.
270-300hp youre looking at ~700cc injectors

I'll be getting the full balance shaft eliminator kit and getting it all balanced at the machine shop. If I do that the crank shouldn't walk right?
some people doesnt recommend to eliminate balance shafts from DD cars

·
Registered
1 Posts
H23 vtec

hey guys, I gotta h23a1 block with h22 head. I was wondering if there was anything special you had to do for this setup as far as oil holes and such. I am going to run boost to this car. precision turbo, 450cc injectors, 255 fuel pump, aem fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator. I have 9:1 je forged pistons, stock rods ( i only want to run about 10 psi). could anyone help me out with the oil holes?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts