Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone asks, yes I've searched this forum and every Honda forum known to man. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to cars as well, but I'm completely stumped.
I finally got everything hooked back up on my h22a swap. The engine turns over fine but won’t fire. I converted from OBD2 to OBD1 (P28 with h22 basemap), OBD1 injectors and internal coil distributor. I have a jumper harness for the ECU. I have spark and I have fuel. The injectors have power , there is no short between injector & ECU and the fuel rail has fuel pressure. The TDC, CYP & CKP sensors test good. I de-pinned the TDC and CKP wires, pulled them up the harness and re-pinning them into an OBD1 distributor connector so there isn’t any problems there. My plugs are getting spark. I pulled them, reconnected to the wires and saw the spark. Plugs are brand new. I tried starting fluid and nada. My timing is set correctly on the belt and the distributor (close enough that it should fire). My coil and ICM check out good. All of my grounds are good, I even added some grounds and nothing.I checked for voltage to my grounds and the most I came up with was 0.2V.

Last night I readjusted my valves because the Chilton Manual states one spec and the Helms another. I tightened them up but haven't tried it yet. I wouldn't think being .003 loose would affect this problem too much. I could see if I was too tight being a problem.

Can anyone tell me what sensors are required for engine to just start (not run correctly) but just start?

Here is a list of sensors that I don't have connected since its an OBD1.
Secondary O2,PSP Switch, Evap Purge Flow Switch, Evap Purge Control Solenoid, intake Control solenoid valve, EGR control solenoid valve, fuel tank pressure sensor, EVAP bypass solenoid valve, EVAP control canister shut valve, immobilizer, radiator fan relay, AC controls, brake swtich

Any help would be super appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P28 ecu... immobilizer has been eliminated.

After further research, none of the ones that I have disconnected are needed to start the engine. I've since replaced my distributor with a new one. I got Code #8 (TDC) after I installed the distributor. Still didn't' start at all. I found out that the drive key on the distributor sheared off so I have to wait another few days before a replacement gets here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Victory!
Third distributor was a charm. Something was either wrong with one of the reluctors on my original distributor or one of the sensors had an intermittent problem. The TDC, CYP & CKP all had 384 ohms and the ICM checked per the Honda manual tests. Just one of those weird things I guess?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm having a problem with my jdm h22a swap too! I'm going obd1 aswell. Any modifications I have to do? Its already in my 1999 honda prelude but It won't start, just cranks. There is no spark at all from the coil or the spark plugs. Im running a p28 with hondata but I have obd2 distributor and stock h22a4 injectors. Any help would be very appreciated to get my car running!

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,092 Posts
I used the JDM ODB1 distributer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts