Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 95 prelude with a JDM H22a engine, trans and p13 ECU. Mods are AEM cai, tru power pullies, DC 4-2-1 ceramic header, Thermal stealth cat back, NGK OE lazer platinum plugs (just changed today) and wires(20k miles or so on them.)

I have had timing belt, water pump, thermostat dist cap and rotor changed in Feb ‘05. The cat is stock, fuel filter & pvc valve has maybe 30k miles according to previous owner.

Now that you have the background, here is the issue:
I for some time have started to hear from the exhaust a "missing" type sound. You hear the rumble of the exhaust then you hear a boom.................boom................. boom, boom, boom…….........boom. I used the word "boom," but it is more like puuts. While driving, you can hear VTEC, but do not feel it. The car as most preludes, runs rich.

Before I bought the car, the swap was done by a mechanic and the owner. I took it to a local mechanic in Charlotte who had built an impressive civic. He straightened out all of the wiring to where there were no CELs or issues and cleaned the space of the engine bay as the harness was on top near the back and not on the bottom where it should be.

Now in spirit of clean wiring, I found that the coil wires and the VTEC wire (green/yellow) were short and tight. The coil could not even be mounted where it was supposed to be. It just sat in the engine area! I lengthened them by cutting them and putting longer same or larger gauge wire between connecting them with barrel type crimps and using electric tape to secure it before split looming all.

Finally, the question is, could that have caused my problem or is a case that if there was a problem with any of those connections the car would not start and VTEC would not engage? By the way, I was told by a shop here locally (I live in Atlanta now) that while my VTEC does in engage you don't feel it at all, you just hear it!

Could lengthening those wires 4 to 6 inches have caused a problem?

Also, do you have any thoughts on my stock cat and DC header? My goal is N/A with great torque. I would also like my power in the low to mid RPM as I am not a top speed type or a constant “redliner.� My car is a daily driver and I like to hit turns and maintain reliability. I am a 0-80 type. I am considering a p72 with Hondata s200 as the next mod and an SMSP hytech header and cat if needed. My piping is 2.25 right now. Should I go to 2.5 from the engine back?

Thank for reading and anything that you might offer is greatly appreciated!

Bobby

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please explain? How did you fix it and what was the problem. If you found it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that suggestion, that was done and mentioned previously, still thanks though.

I have a 95 prelude with a JDM H22a engine, trans and p13 ECU. Mods are AEM cai, tru power pullies, DC 4-2-1 ceramic header, Thermal stealth cat back, NGK OE lazer platinum plugs (just changed today) and wires(20k miles or so on them.)

·
Registered
372 Posts
blkcpe said:
NGK OE lazer platinum plugs (just changed today)and wires(20k miles or so on them.)
^^hence the reason i suggested to check them, vs changing them...i installed new plugs on my car wen i did my major tuneup couple weeks back and my car was "puuting" as well...lower RPM's were very laggy but higher rpm's were ok...i pulled off each plug and double checked everything and noticed one of my plugs had a crack along the side of it...changed out all new plugs and car idle'd fine...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I feel you, good point. The only thing is that the putting was happening before I changed the plugs (been going on for months now )and I thougt that changing the plugs yesterday would solve it so that is what I did. When I did this, the problem was still there. Looking at the old plugs showed them to be solid with no damage only that I am running rich as most prelude do. So the plugs seem to not be the problem.

Please know that I do want your input, I know that you did'nt have to respond to help at all so I do appreciate you. :bigthumb:

Can you think of anything else it could be?

·
Registered
372 Posts
blkcpe said:
I feel you, good point. The only thing is that the putting was happening before I changed the plugs (been going on for months now )and I thougt that changing the plugs yesterday would solve it so that is what I did. When I did this, the problem was still there. Looking at the old plugs showed them to be solid with no damage only that I am running rich as most prelude do. So the plugs seem to not be the problem.

Please know that I do want your input, I know that you did'nt have to respond to help at all so I do appreciate you. :bigthumb:

Can you think of anything else it could be?
dont mention it bro...thats why we're all here...i can only make suggestions based on my experiences, but as you can tell, is rather limited :( good luck to ya...

·
King Ding-a-Ling
143 Posts
....without seeing it for sure i can come up with some suggestions.
Personally, with my h22, i guess i was very lucky with no hesitation problems. thats not to say that i havent heard or seen people with the infamous hesitation.

One problem we solved was actually the injectors, they needed a serious cleaning and it seemed that the injector was becoming faulty(starting to stick open...ugh)

Another was the actual distributor was starting to go. (checking for red dust inside will tell you alot).....there are so many things to start checking it off. Or maybe even the wires themselves.

too bad no stand alone or piggy back of some type(oh yeah, check your o2 sensor) they tell you so much.....

If i think of anymore ideas ill let you know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone so for all the info, this has given me some things to check out. I really appreciate all the help!

Bobby

1 - 11 of 11 Posts