Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need your help and rather quickly I want to have a solution to this issue asap. I have my 98 prelude with a jdm h22a euro-r swap in it. It has my old h22a4 engine harness, I just bought the euro-r PCD ecu with a rywire obd2a to obd2b ecu jumper. Everything plugs in just fine in the ecu area as it should.

I go to turn on the car yesterday and immediately there's a problem the car runs like crap and is in LIMP mode I believe and wont rev past 3k rpm. I have no check engine lights or anything so I am out of ideas. The engine runs for like two seconds with my foot depressing the gas pedal. I have to assume my ecu is bad please help if you can.

98 prelude h22a euro-r engine with PCD ecu wont run at all - YouTube
This is what my car is doing and I have no idea what to do since there isnt any check engine light codes to go off of or I might have to assume the ecu or something is very bad

·
Registered
5 Posts
iv got an h22a4 and i swapped my obd2 ecu for an integra gsr ecu with a H22 basemap on it.
it ran like a ****ing champ, and all u need is the obd2 to obd1 jumper harness, i think i did this for under 220$$

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
my euro-r is a year 2000, the ecu is the same its obd2b, and yes the ecu is model number 37820-pcd-004. I am thinking its a bad ecu and thinking about buying another PCD ecu which number is the only other one you can get its code is 37820-PCD-014

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
That's right the euro r are 98-01 motors... For some reason that ecu won't work on any usdm chassis, believe something with the base maps are set for higher octane then us & so on.

You would need to get the p72 or p28 & a patch harness for obd2 to obd1( I have an p28 hondata s100 ready)
Only problem is the p28 won't run the IABs.
The p72 will run the IABs

So p72 ecu
Obd2 to obd1 patch harness
Will run off base map(would recommend a tune tho)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
For this reason I won't run any JDM ecu's, just obd1s p28 & p72.
Sorry for the bad luck man hope you get it running soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have had it running on a p28 obd1 ecu with an obd2a to obd1 jumper harness I don't like it since its not on a street tune yet. I just want to run it with the oem euro-r ecu, just something I really want to do. The PCD and euro-r engine dont have IAB's, just a single runner intake manifold, so there is no issue there with that part of the ecu.
I am in contact with a member on here and he has done the same exact swap with the same h22a4 engine harness, Rywire obd2a to obd2b ecu jumper, Rosko's racing two wire iacv adapter plate kit and h22a4 three wire EGR valve. He has a pcd-014 ecu and his prelude runs fine as it should, the only differences is that he kept the euro-r dizzy, JDM oil pump, fuel rail & injectors, so maybe that's where mine falls short I don't know. I assume my ecu is bad since his swap runs and mine doesn't.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
thirsk... isn't this still the same issue that you previously started a thread on?

http://www.preludeonline.com/f60/98-prelude-h22-euro-r-what-ecu-should-i-run-274121/

How many ECUs have you put on that thing now?

You should really keep the same topics on a single thread so that people can automatically read through what you have ALREADY done (and what other people have suggested). That way, you don't have to repeat yourself, and others can help you better, knowing what you have already gone through. You are going to save yourself alot of time, money, and frustration that way.

The folks that have the most knowledge are not usually on here everyday, so it may sometimes take a few days for a good educated answer to appear.

And while I hate to give him any credit, CThondaguy did suggest using the P72 obd1 with Hondata in the other thread you started, which seems in-line with what JDMpreludeKing just said. (I'm not quite sure why TypeT is against Hondata as I am not familiar with them... maybe JDM can shed some light on that)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear you on that Hammbone I did state in the other thread that I wanted to try out using a PCD ecu or an obd1 chipped ecu. I have both ecu's now and neither run the car very well the obd1 is drive-able sort of and the PCD is in the videos I have posted in this thread its awful and I don't have a solution to my problem, the only thing I can think of is buying another euro-r ecu. I am just getting impatient and wondering what to do at this point. I really would like to run the euro-r ecu in my car.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Try to find out if there is anyone on here close to you that you may be able meet up with and swap ECUs to see what is going on. I just don't want to see you waste more money on this...

Maybe get the tune done on the ECU that does work?

It's very frustrating... believe me, I understand. I try very hard to not throw money at things when I can, but it still happens... even the "professional" garages have to do it from time to time! :)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I started out with using hondata on my projects
1.cheapest ems
2.tunability
3.simple to program

Now messing with Aem ems

I understand you wanna keep it all oem but its simply just not worth it in my eyes(nobody is gunna really care if its the oem accord h22a ecu). everyones motor & tune is different just because someone else has the same setup doesn't mean you will run the same way as they do. (Your motor might have bad rings)idk

Are you planning on staying stock? Yes the JDM ecu is smaller in all but not alot of people will not even touch it.

I would just put the p28 back in(also what do mean by not on a street tune yet?)are you running maps for track only?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing is I don't know anyone who is close to me here in California withe the same car ans swap as mine. I really don't want to take it to the local shop here and have him mess with it for an hour and fix it and charge me mega $$ for it. I rather troubleshoot myself and fix this issue. I really don't want to spend anymore money on this car either but if its just another euro-r ecu that is $150 I will want to try it out. I really do think the ecu is bad judging from my videos and troubleshooting.

I would spend the $375 on the obd1 ecu getting dyno tuned but for some reason I just don't want to give up on this euro-r ecu right now. But I will give up if this simply cannot be fixed. I am so frustrated right now since the other member on here got his running properly and I didn't definitely feels as if I failed.

I have never seen any ecu give the same code always when I jump the blue service connector for codes. Its always code 21 which is vtec malfunction/fault. My vtec is fine with no issues whatsoever, I have checked like 5 times in a row its in good shape. I have even unplugged the map, tps and egr sensors one at a time, and tried pulling the codes if there were any being thrown, but the ecu still say code 21 instead of codes for what I unplugged. This causes me to believe that the ecu is bad.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
This is a mess....

If you want someone to actually be able to help you, you will need to clearly post which electronics you used during your swap. You need to list all the sensors/injectors/distributor/everything else you are trying to use. Then you have to hope that someone who knows his ass from a hole in the ground stumbles across your thread a decides to help. I wouldn't hold your breath on that last part.

My suggestion would be that you either convert everything to OBDI electronics, or covert everything to usdm OBDII then use a conversion harness and use a chipped p28/p72. JDM OBDII stuff is different than USDM stuff and is in general a PITA to deal with, that's why I'm not using any of the electronics that came with my jdm engine, which also started out as jdm OBDIIa. I swapped all the jdm electronics for USDM H22a4 electronics and used a conversion harness with a chipped p28. Started on the first crank.

Keep in mind, if you are in Cali, you are probably screwed next time you have to pass an inspection regardless of which route you take. You'll need to run the stock usdm ecu for the test, and that won't work unless you swapped over all the USDM h22a4 electronics. Even then, the engine should run ok but it probably still won't pass emissions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I started out with using hondata on my projects
1.cheapest ems
2.tunability
3.simple to program

Now messing with Aem ems

I understand you wanna keep it all oem but its simply just not worth it in my eyes(nobody is gunna really care if its the oem accord h22a ecu). everyones motor & tune is different just because someone else has the same setup doesn't mean you will run the same way as they do. (Your motor might have bad rings)idk

Are you planning on staying stock? Yes the JDM ecu is smaller in all but not alot of people will not even touch it.

I would just put the p28 back in(also what do mean by not on a street tune yet?)are you running maps for track only?
I really would just wannna try another euro r ecu to see if it would help. I do have a obd2a P5m ecu that came with the car when I first bought my car that runs my engine well its just usdm cali spec so it runs it lean and obviously isn't made to run the engine I have in now. I don only have th p28 on a h22 basemap tune it starts up and idles well just doesn't drive all that great.I guess I really should consider getting the p28 tuned and make just as much power or more then the euro r ecu. I was just trying to challenge myself by using the ecu that came with my engine swap but I am really stuck on it why it doesn't run well at all.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Accord ECU's are notorious for being difficult to work with in swapped cars. I don't remember which Accord ECU was originally mated with my H23a, but I don't believe anybody has ever successfully swapped it into a prelude and got it to work. At least not that I'm aware of. I'd suspect it's a similiar situation with the ECU you're trying to use.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well heres the run down on my car and engine setup
1998 Honda prelude
2000 jdm h22a euro-r swap
h22a4 engine harness
h22a4 injectors, fuel rail, egr valve, oil pump, distributor, 2 wire iacv with rosko racing iacv adapter plate

I have used the p5m ecu which is obd2a on my car ever since I bought it and swapped the euro-r engine in it since its the only ecu to run my car.
I then bought the chipped obd1 ecu and have had two different chips shipped to me with euro-r base maps on it the first chip ran the car but didn't let it run in high rpms my car would just shut off, the second chip I have yet to try out since I have badluck and my jumper harness broke. (have another one on the way)
The pcd ecu you see in my videos doesn't seem to work much at all. Its either a bad ecu or something I am not understanding at this point. And yes there is a member on here who I am in contact with who has gotten his 01 prelude with euro-r swap and same items I have on mine like h22a4 engine harness, rywire obd2a to obd2b jumper harness and egr etc. on his engine swap to run well with pcd ecu.
Like I said in an earlier post the only things setting us apart in differences in swaps is his engine has the euro-r dizzy, oil pump and that's it other then that we have identical swaps.

I am in Cali, and I have already passed my smog test with my jdm engine. I have all the smog equipment hooked up and a new California magnaflow catalytic converter along with my usdm P5M ecu that help me pass with flying colors.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Thoses h22a4 290cc 12ohm injectors might be a problem with the jdm oem ecu... I'd have to do more research that ecu more but I think JDM ecu's is 2-3ohm specs & around 320cc with a shorter pulse width.

Ill get back to you on it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts