Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow luders. I’m about to undergo the h22a euro r swap into a 97 USDM lude. I have a few questions and concerns before getting dirty.
Question #1 OBDI or OBDII?
Question #2 What is better?
Question #3 What is easier?
Question #4 What will it take for each?

Regarding question #4 I’ve read things about changing out the oil pump from the h22a4 to the JDM one. I couldn't really understand if that was just if you’re staying OBDII or if it was for both.

I’ve done some research and from what I gathered OBD1 is better but a little more difficult to do. I’ve read that OBDII ECU counters all your mods eventually.. not sure if it’s true or not tho.

Anyways if you have done this swap. All the info with be greatly appreciate!! Tips, trick, etc.

Thank you fellow luders!!!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Short answers:

Question #1 OBDI or OBDII?
OBDI

Question #2 What is better?
OBDI

Question #3 What is easier?
OBDI

Question #4 What will it take for each?
OBDI ECU (typically a p28 or p72), conversion wiring harness, and ideally a tuner who isn't an idiot. Decent basemap tune will suffice if there is no non-idiot tuner available.

You can't tune with an OBDII ECU. That pretty much defeats the whole purpose of the swap. If you are in Cali (or somewhere else that does emissions testing) you can't use OBDI though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
indylude18 Thanks for the advice and info!! So because of emissions, I need to OBD2. With that’s being said I’ll have to change the oil pump to a USDM oil pump.

I’ve have read that the alternator is different? Any wisdom on that?

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,081 Posts
I'm on a CL1 swap. Not sure on alternator, but the JDM distributor was different. Using P72 with s300.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did this swap about 8 years ago and it's been great. I went with convetting it to OBD2, and currebtly it's running thr OBD2 USDM ECU, distributor, oil pump, and intake manifold.

With an AEM cold air intake, 3" exhaust (Mugen Header), and a KS Tuned Balance shaft delete kit.

It makes 182 WHP / 160 ft-lbs on a Dynojet.

Currently I am working on modifying the Euro R manifold using a bunch of parta from Rosko racing. I'll be using a 70mm Throttle body, upgrading the injectors and getting an AEM Series 2 ECU for tuning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts