Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
Unless you've got craploads of hp get the h22 with lsd.

If you search, you'll find out the h22 gears are shorter but higher 5th gear. This is if you have a h22 though. I wouldn't put a h22 tranny on a h23 just for fun.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
nice, i was hoping to swap in the h22a soon and keep my old h23 tranny.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
^ yeah it is a rough shift, took me a lil while after i first got the car to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
i thought the h23 in general was better for boost, low compression, no vtec to complicate tuning, i dunno why people dont use it more often.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
I am using my old H23 transmission with my jdm H22 and so far it has been great. I am sure that it would accelerate a bit quicker with the shorter gearing but chose to keep the H23 trans to save money (swapped in the long-block only) and keep the taller 5th for the highway. I got a new OEM clutch and resurfaced flywheel when I swapped in the engine. It's been 700 miles and is nice and smooth. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
here are the ratios. between f22, h23, h22.
personaly, id have the f22 trans cause of how quick it would be.
i wouldnt care if i could only do 120-125, my car never sees that fast and fuel economy should be somewhat better because i could skip gears easier.
anyways ive got one of the f22 transmissions but i dont want to do the swap because my prelude is my only car. so if anyone wants the trans or the motor its 150 each. i just want them gone.

Honda Prelude Drivetrain Specifications

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
here are the ratios. between f22, h23, h22.
personaly, id have the f22 trans cause of how quick it would be.
Honda Prelude Drivetrain Specifications
Wow you're really really wrong.

The ratios of the F22 tranny means it's SLOWER in every single sense. Lower number means lower ratio = slower or taller gear.

Plus you have a lower FD ratio.

:laugh:

·
Registered
147 Posts
wow. i feel bad... so why do people with h22 trans switch to h23? if the h22 is quicker why change it?

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
^didn't mean it to be really mean, just a little kick in the butt :)

Well I honestly don't know why you would switch from a h22 transmission to a h23.

There are other scenarios where it I see it.

1. You are doing a h22 swap, can't afford the whole swap, just engine. Problem is that some gears drop out of vtec when changing gears. Also your cruising highway speed has higher rpms.

2. You plan to boost, would like longer gears to shift less in drag racing

Those are about the only scenarios I could think of why you would have a h23 tranny on a h22 engine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
^^What he said..

Generally Turbo'd guys go with longer geared transmission so the Turbo has more time to spool and what not.

And sticking with longer gears is better with fuel economy as you're not going to be revving as high in each gear..

Trust me, I KNOW this.. heh
My car had an H23A1 with the stock M2S4 Trans. I think I revved at 3K'ish RPM on the Highway? Great High MPG compared to my new setup... Spun bearing on the H23, swapped in a JDM H22A and a built M2F4 with a 4.7 Final Drive.
Frick, this thing is fun as a heck, but boy does it rev high.. Cruising on the Highway I'm easily hitting 4.5K around 75, 5K about 80, and so on..
I don't drive on the Highway as much I used to, but I drive to Tuscon a lot, or used to, and I would easily average 85MPH on the trip down there. ((I don't drive like this in traffic or around other people. Just when I'm out of traffic.)) And doing that now is like cruising in VTEC. lol

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Well I'm very close to getting an H22a and I was just gonna take my old H23a1 trans and replace all the synchronizer gears and clean it up and keep using it. Will I actually drop outta vtec when shifting up through the gears because of the longer gears? Would I be better off eventually getting the jdm lsd transmission? I'm mostly aiming to build only the head of the motor and keeping it N/A. Maybe only do the pistons on the bottom for durability and lightweight responsiveness with forged aluminum pistons. Which transmission would be better for a more well rounded car like this?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts