Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just purchased some Nitto 555R's for his lude and is curious, as am I, on how to do a burnout correctly.

I am pretty sure how to do one but have never had drag radicals so never bothered to do one, plus I don't want to give him the wrong advice and have him end up breaking something cause I told him how to do it.

So if you could just run through and list the basics.

Also if you can give tips on how to do burnouts in the water box, Burnout contest and to warm up the radicals on the street when its wet and dry.

He has a 1993 si lude and I'm a previous owner of a 94 vtec, hopfully I will be a lude owner agian, of a 96 vtec. Anyways if you can post tips for both models if there is any, and tips that you use it would help.

Thanks,

~SpeedCrazie

·
Registered
997 Posts
Uhh...doing burnouts will make things break no matter how u do it....if u do it enough.

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
your friend paid all that money for the tires and he's just going to burn them up?? did he buy them specifically for a burnout contest?? if not, i wouldnt waste the rubber.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Looks cool? hehehe, damn friends didn't know what they were doing when they took those pics though :/ but anyways... ever listen and notice to how the domestics do thier burnouts? thier auto's will shift for them, and they're usually in top of 2nd or top of 3rd when they're liting 'em up. Now my 2nd gear syncros are screwed from doing about 6-7 of those beautiful burnouts...

Now those 555r's hook up pretty nice, but once you smoke them up a little bit, damn... they grip like a mother, my act heavy duty, street disc, fidanza flywheel setup doesn't hold up... just slips more than what I want when I take off above 5k and the revs just drop and the car will bog when I take off at 4.8k or below. Ah well. Good luck and have fun, I don't recommend 2nd gear burnouts unless you're willing to drive around with no 2nd gear syncro.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deceptakon~ Na, My friend didn't buy the tires for burnout competitions but he wants to know the correct way to do a burnout to heat up his drag radicals.

Since he and I both wanted to know the "right" way to do a burnout i figured I also ask about big burnouts like in burnout competitions.

He most likely won't be doing burnouts often, only on the strip. I was just just curious to how the big burnouts were done.

And the basics of doing a burnout in the water box, So if someone could explain the exact steps to do a burnout that would be great.

DVAngelic~ Damn you guy you ain't know joke when it comes to burnouts,You know how to put on a show...Would you mind postin' steps to doing a burnout in the water box and steps to doing big ass burnouts like in comepetitions.

Oh and did you take the Ford?

~SpeedCrazie

·
Registered
45 Posts
well, for purposes of heating the 555r's up for racing... the best bet so you don't ruin your tranny is... to just hold it in first gear close to redline. like 7000-7200 rpms till u start seeing a little smoke come outta your wheel wells, but I think it may only come outta one wheel, cause only one wheel might be spinning, I had that problem on my regular paradas.

to really smoke 'em, you'd have to be in 2nd gear, but I really don't know the proper way to shift 1st - 2nd while the front tires are in the burnout box, I mean... my tranny is screwed right now cause of it. try not to force it into gear? be gentle, smooth... nowadays, for me to do a burnout in the box, I have to sit and prepare mentally to shift 1st to second, as i hold it at redline in 1st for a few seconds. dunno how it goes, but it goes 75% of the time, the rest it just grinds... for a while too...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Didn't take the ford that run, I would of if I didn't try running the nitrous, but that was a really messed up run, I couldn't find the switch while in 1st gear, smoke in the cabin, hit the limiter in 1st... 2nd gear wouldn't go cause of the syncro now being messed up, and missed 3rd gear... plus the nitrous was running a bit too lean for my tastes, and the exhaust sounded hollow and it felt like the whole thing was just gonna blow. last run for me that night
my first attempt at nitrous. I shoulda just kepted running without it, was doing so well.

btw, if you really smoke those 555r's, they start boiling and crackling ( I think it's the water that makes the crackling noise ), and as u drive over rocks to stage, the tire feels like a sponge, squishy and all... pretty cool, sticks to the track like superglue. ( rocks stick to the tire as well, have fun picking them off )

·
Registered
825 Posts
damn, no love for his baby

------------------
KQ
98 Pearl White SH
92 Baby Blue S (sold)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by po0p:
15mb fwd sucks: http://www.digicomp.cc/grandtouring/movies/hondashow3.mpeg

</font>
Holy Crap Indeed!

I say somebody show this to Bridgestone, and sell it to 'em. Im sure they'd love to use it in an ad showing the great treadwear rating on the S02's!

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Trying to sell my 17" SSR's

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn, You know he didn't drive home on those tires!!!!!

And my friend or I, are NOT looking to do anything as crazy as that. But I sure wouldn't mind having an S2000.

Neways, Can someone PLEASE go through the STEPS 1 BY 1. Like I said before I'm pretty sure how to do one but not positive since I have never needed to do one.

Include any tips for burnout contest and for just doing a quick one in the water box.

Also after these tires are warmed up what RPM to launch at, He has a 93 lude si, also what should 4th Gens Vtecs launch at.

Please help out....

Thanks Luders,

~SpeedCrazie

[This message has been edited by SpeedCrazie (edited April 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
hey your lude friend better have some kind of lsd cuz hes going to bust a one tire fryer. here how i do it, but i dont know if its right, still do it though.

1- pull e brake
2- rev car (dont know where, experiment)
3- let go of clutch
4- maintain rpms

try that, im guessing hes only going to fry one tire, maybe wrong though. peace

1 - 20 of 29 Posts