Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best today was a 15.9 @ 90. You don't want to know my worst. I think it was a combination of a slippery track and a nervous driver. Launching this car is SO DAMN HARD!

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com
Please buy my extra ZEX nitrous kit!!!

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jmcn:
My best today was a 15.9 @ 90. You don't want to know my worst. I think it was a combination of a slippery track and a nervous driver. Launching this car is SO DAMN HARD!

</font>
dont feel so bad... i am NOT disclosing my time either!!

G

·
Um, my best is 15.8 (with GReddy PE, otherwise, stock), on stock tires. I suck at drag racing. Last time I did it was 2 years ago.

Now, find me at an autocross and it's a different story (I am still learning the fine art of track racing, though).

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
what were your 60' times? My worst was a 17.4 or 5..i missed 2nd (big suprise with our syncros) then took it easy the rest of the way.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait, actually now that I look at it I ran a 15.827 @ 90.17--still sucks though. The 60' time for that run was 2.616. That's probably the reason for the low ET (my ****ty launches).

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
'97 Prelude Type-SH

jmcn.com

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And get this...no one told me how the lights work! I figured it out with those two little yellow lights that have to go on once you move up...but I had no idea when to go. I only went after the monster next to me with no exhaust took off!

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
'97 Prelude Type-SH

jmcn.com

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
jmcn: How do you typically launch your car on a full stop?

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by checkmate58:
jmcn: How do you typically launch your car on a full stop?

--Sam
</font>
What do you mean by tipical driving? On the street not racing anyone or on the drag strip?

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
'97 Prelude Type-SH

jmcn.com

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I ran pretty shatty on my first day ever at the track too; I think everyone does. It is best to go when there is hardly anyone there so you get consistent runs in. When I ran my car there were no other imports there, just alcohol/funny cars

no pressure on me whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
man, its okay, the first time i ever went to the a track and ran i got a 15.4, eventually got it down to a 14.92 with my intake and exhaust leak, check engine light, and its on a crappy track so ya, don't feel bad...

after the track cleared up, my lude friends all dropped another .1 or .2, man once those v8s stop dropping rubber on the start line traction is easy! my friend matt wanted to run my car then cuz his best before was a 14.99 then he had a 14.77.

you should try going early before all the gunk is deposited, maybe that'll help, i dunno

·
Registered
602 Posts
dude, u want all the burt rubber onthe ground,,, that way your car hooks up beter

·
Registered
973 Posts
That's ok, I was at the drags on Wednesday and a lude was pulling 15.9s and 16s all day. He just couldn't get off the line. A stock Si ran 15.7 twice and 15.9, must be a good driver.
I'm pretty nervous too, I'm going to run my car this wednesday. I think you are supposed to go on the last yellow light to get the best reaction time.
Were you running at New England dragway, cause that's like 25 minutes from my house.

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jmcn:
What do you mean by tipical driving? On the street not racing anyone or on the drag strip?

</font>
How about just answering both questions then? Kills two birds with one stone man.. hahaha..

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AccordSleeper:
Were you running at New England dragway, cause that's like 25 minutes from my house.</font>
No, I was at Lebanon Valley Dragway in NY a little northeast of Albany I think. It's a lot closer to me than NE is since I'm out near Springfield in College.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
'97 Prelude Type-SH

jmcn.com

[This message has been edited by jmcn (edited April 22, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by checkmate58:

How about just answering both questions then? Kills two birds with one stone man.. hahaha..
</font>
I was launching at 4,000--sliding the clutch out pretty quickly. The first run I think I popped the clutch out at about 4,500 and spun all the way through 1st gear like I was on snow, and again in second... I think the thing to do is to launch at 4,500 to 5,000 in a GOOD, DRY, lane, and slide the clutch out pretty quickly. The lines in the staging lanes got too long after I did about 5 runs so I just said f- it and I left.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
'97 Prelude Type-SH

jmcn.com

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Wow...that's pretty bad...Your 60 Ft times sould be in the range of 2.2-2.3 with a VTEC Prelude...hehe, you're barely running faster than me...

------------------
Got VTEC? I don't.
92 Prelude Si BONE stock
**[email protected] at LACR so 15.5 at Pomona**

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by axemansean:
People beauty is just a light switch away.
</font>

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Having all the rubber too hook up is good, but too much isn't good. If there's too much, the rubber it will start to peel off the track from the spinning tires and form little rubber pebbles causing you to lose traction.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOSlude:
dude, u want all the burt rubber onthe ground,,, that way your car hooks up beter</font>
nah thats bad imo. I can hear it flying up and hitting my underbody. Its good to go after the track is heated up and clean.

jmcn: You should definately try warming up your tires on one round if you can sping through 2nd, thats just insane. When i warmed up my tires i dropped about .1 or .2 with the exact same type of launch. It sounds like your track is extremely slick and clear if you can peel like that.

do a 7-10 sec burnout in first w/ the ebrake w/ the ebrake, then drop the brake if you want a little forward motion thats good too.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
You only need to do burnouts if you have racing slicks, otherwise its pointless. The best way to get traction is to feather the clutch until you know your car will hook up. Honda's (or any fwd car) weren't made to just drop the clutch and expect to get traction, especially if you have no type of lsd or atb.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts