Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Da Monkii
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got to go against the new V6 eclipse stick w/intake man, thoes thing are quick. Well i didn't get burn, but it was neck to neck with me the whole time to 100 and we stop. I did this with two car and several times too, different driver ofcourse. Seem like it quick in 2nd gear like our lude vtec in 2nd is strong as hell. I only got CAI/Greddy PE and a vtec<untune> using aol data .

·
Registered
334 Posts
but can the new eclipse handle around corners? That's what I want to know. I have yet to see one at an autoX event.

------------------
99 Red 5spd Prelude
90 auto Accord

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have both a TypeSH and an Eclipse GT and they are basically equal in acceleration. The Eclipse feels faster though because of all the torque. As far as handling goes the Prelude wins easily. Just for driving around the Eclipse is a more comfortable car. Which one do I like better? The Prelude by a small margin.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yea, the eclipse is ok. I wouldn't buy one just out of principle though... they took what was a performance car and turned it into a middle-age coupe...

hmmm.... on second thought, that sounds like what the prelude is already...

·
Texas
734 Posts
i don't like the way the new eclipses look...kinda similar to that prelude with the VIS extreme kit except worse...

the silver fuel cap looks really tacky and the back of the car looks far too..round...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like the fuel caps...that is until I got a close up. I thought the motorcycle style cap looked sweet, but when I saw that the bolts weren't even real bolts(just etched into the plastic) and it was made of plastic, I was like WTF? From a $25k car, I expected more. How are the interiors? I hope they're not as cheap as the caps.

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
new V6 Eclipses are fast? i don't know about that. i got to test drive the V6 and a celica GTS. IMO the V6 felt slow, prolly cause there wasn't any sort of VTEC or VVTLI kick to it or maybe cause it was slow. i wasn't very impressed with the GTS either redline was at 7400 ish but it drops out of VVTI after each shift but with the Lude you can get it to stay in VTEC if you know how to drive it. if i had to pick between the three i'd still have to go with the Lude.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
i personally love the looks of the new eclipse. it is controversial but in 100% on the side of loving it. i think its an awesome car just to own and drive daily. got plenty of potential to satisfy a daily drivers needs. interiors not too bad either, though the display screen is quite awkward... ull know what i mean if u play around with the stereo and stuff inside.

but still i love the eclipse form every angle. theres a nice moded yellow one on the cover of the current issue of import tuner, go check it out.

·
1,652 Posts
oh and as far as handling, heres how i'd rank them:
#1 Celica GTS
#2 My 5G Lude
#10 Eclipse V6
and according to the dealer, resale value for Hondas and Toyotas are high but for Mitsubishi they're kinda low. he even demonstrated how poorly the mitz was constructed.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The Mitsu is a rocket compared to the V6 Cougar. I drove one before getting the Prelude and ugh, it is as slow as my Mom's Grand Am.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Is it just me or the new eclipse is more of a girl's car. Or maybe because all the girls in my school drives one.

------------------
RIP Dale #3

·
Registered
301 Posts
My brother own one. I drive it alot, we switch cars. I don't know about you guys, but they pretty strong. I rev it up to 5500 rpm and it pull alot. The handling is great, a lil weaker than Type SH. Maybe because he got 225/40/18 tires/wheels. IT now holding at 12327 miles with no problems.
What suprise me is that when he install the CAI intake and exhaust, I feel alot noticealbe difference. Here his photos webpage. http://www.geocities.com/mastazn2/eclipse.html

·
1,652 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ywwong:
those who said it is slow probably haven't driven one. </font>
i said it was slow and i DID drive one so there
i don't know what it is but it just *felt* soooo slow it didn't have that Lude VTEC kick that i'm used to. one thing was for sure the V6 Eclipse that i test drove handled real sloppily.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Somebody I know got a 14.8/14.9 at the track on a stock V6 Eclipse. I was pretty impressed, but I kinda hate mitsu's reliability after my bros 3000GT.

Any car you get is going to have problems, its a matter of how MANY problems you have and their severity

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
The Eclipse is a good run for the 5th gen Prelude stock versus stock.

Top end though the Prelude will pull away.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DR:
I have both a TypeSH and an Eclipse GT and they are basically equal in acceleration. The Eclipse feels faster though because of all the torque. As far as handling goes the Prelude wins easily. Just for driving around the Eclipse is a more comfortable car. Which one do I like better? The Prelude by a small margin.</font>
I owned a Eclipse GST for two years and when I wrecked it I went to test drive the New GT and was sooo disappointed. It haddled real sloppy (The crazy salesperson let me gun out their brand new one around corners and launch on a backroad). The accelleration can best be described as "smooth" because there just wasn't any pull. I was used to my turbo (exhaust upgraded and psi slightly cranked)GST and this wasn't a comparable car to me. The interior was sweet (stereo rocked w/ center channel), but a bit large. So far I don't regret getting my prelude 5th gen (It was the only car that could give me a run for my money w/ my gst)
. hands down a better car to start with.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I raced a 2000 Eclipse GT 5 speed just recently, I launched @ 3200rpms and he launched @ 1500rpms, i shifted @ 7500 and he shifted @ 5500rpms, his car was stock as is mine (well a 94si with a vtec engine swap) and he was alone, I had 1 passenger and a 120lb speaker box, off the line was pretty equal but by 70mph I had a good 5 to 6 car lengths, we stopped afterward to discuss the race and he was VERY surprised noting that he had raced "3 preludes that look like yours" and had smoked them, he wasn't aware of the h22 power, maybe a 5g SH vs. an Eclipse GT would be a good race, but the 4G VTEC spanks it, he made no excuses for why he lost, the 4G VTEC is just faster and more aggressive than an Eclipse GT

------------------

On the prowl for some booty and blowin VTEC dust in the direction of the busters

1 - 20 of 21 Posts