Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup guys, i completed the bolt on setup.now what should i buy next for my car?i was thinking of a apexi vafc or some aem pulleys but i heard it drains up a lot of battery and makes your ac weak when idle.Is there a power gain from aem pulleys?i have an ss so my car is really slow.got any suggestions on mods?

thanks

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
those aem accessory pullies will be an excellent addition especially because you have an automatic.

when i used to have an SS, i had that for a while without problems. yeah your lights get dim and vent fans slow down but only when youre idling. and i didnt really notice the powersteering get stiff at idle. these were non-issues versus the linear gains that you get from them.

just my opinion. AEM pullies will go in my 5speed too but there seems to be a trend where those with automatics felt more gains from them than manuals.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
you feel a bigger gain cuz you use the 1000-2500 range considerably more than 5 spd users. Thats where you feel the torque. VAFC would be nice, but i'd opt for pulley's with the SS first then that, only b/c you're going to have to keep tuning the vafc till u get it right. might as well do it after you have the pulleys on.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

does anyone know anything bout the battery drain from getting pulleys?i have an amp and an alarm and it drains a lot of battery,will i need a separate battery if i get the pulleys?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Joedaddy,

How much draw do you have from your amps? I've been thinking about getting the pulleys but I've ruled them out because I have a system that's capable (I know not all the time) of pulling ~120 amps. I've already installed a one farhad cap to remedy the light dimming situation.

~Doug

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Get the pulleys first, dude. Did you e-mail me? You can get a capacitor if you're worried about a drain from your amp. The A/C is still cold, but the fan might not blow as hard at idle--really not that bad. How much time do you spend idling anyway?

What the other guys are saying is right about SS owners feeling the pulleys more than 5-speed owners. We stay in lower rpm more often, which is the range where the pulleys are felt more. The gain is probably about the same for both.

After that, I'd suggest the v-afc, or you might look into one of those Jacobs or MSD ignition packages. I'm after a light performance gain, but I really get excited by mileage improvements. The Jacobs iCE-pak is supposed to do that for me, but it's kinda pricey. You might consider this one:

http://www.jacobselectronics.com/products/energypaks/ultrateams/prostreetteam.htm

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pete:
Get the pulleys first, dude. Did you e-mail me? You can get a capacitor if you're worried about a drain from your amp.
- snip -
</font>
I see this a lot. A cap discharges in seconds. If you're sitting at idle in a car with stock pulleys you are draining the battery, with or without a cap. With the pulley it will be even worse.

I think the big thing here is the pulley doesn't change it enough to matter- you still drain the battery at idle and do fine as long as you're running, probably anything over 1500 or 2k RPMs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts