1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll have pics tomorrow.

They did a pretty good job except:
- Paint is "orange-peel"
- Driver side door panel wasn't put on correctly(fixed by me)
- Drivers side speaker wasn't installed properly(fixed by me)
- PC4400 was disconnected(fixed by me)

I might complain to the insurance company(Progressive) since this is one of their "Preferred" shops. I was told that if I wasn't happy with the results, Progressive would pay to have me take it elsewhere...we'll see. What would you guys do?

------------------
Chris
Premium White '99 base model Prelude

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Street/Strip Disc
· Fidanza Flywheel
· Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750
· Precision Power PC4400.2 powering:
· Infinity Kappa 60.2cs 6.5" Components.
· Precision Power PC1400.2 powering:
· Single Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a custom sealed box.

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
211 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChrisM2097:
I'll have pics tomorrow.

They did a pretty good job except:
- Paint is "orange-peel"
- Driver side door panel wasn't put on correctly(fixed by me)
- Drivers side speaker wasn't installed properly(fixed by me)
- PC4400 was disconnected(fixed by me)

I might complain to the insurance company(Progressive) since this is one of their "Preferred" shops. I was told that if I wasn't happy with the results, Progressive would pay to have me take it elsewhere...we'll see. What would you guys do?

</font>

what did you have done to it at the shop?

------------------
//935 Wiked Draggers
San Diego, CA
http://www.935draggers.com

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 935DragLude:

what did you have done to it at the shop?
</font>
I had this fixed:

Ended up being $5,600 damage.

------------------
Chris

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· Fidanza Flywheel
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jtown:
what's "orange-peel"?

</font>
Orange peel is this:
Take a look at your cars paint job, look at reflections in it...nice and smooth, huh?
Now imagine it was kinda bumpy, like the peel of an orange....
Take a close look at an older car that may have been repainted...you'll see exactly what I am talking about.

------------------
Chris

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· Fidanza Flywheel
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And another thing...My car's alignment seemed to be perfect before I brought it to the shop. I could be driving down the highway, let go of the steering wheel and keep on going straight...even after the accident! Well, on my way to work this morning, I tested it again...pointed my car straight, let go of the wheel, and within 10 seconds, I was over 1 lane to the right.

------------------
Chris

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· Fidanza Flywheel
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChrisM2097:
And another thing...My car's alignment seemed to be perfect before I brought it to the shop. I could be driving down the highway, let go of the steering wheel and keep on going straight...even after the accident! Well, on my way to work this morning, I tested it again...pointed my car straight, let go of the wheel, and within 10 seconds, I was over 1 lane to the right.

</font>

Maybe there was a slow leak in one fo the tires? Or you got something in the tire at the shop and one is under-inflated? Just a guess.

·
Texas
734 Posts
complain to the insurance company...maybe they'll have the shop fix your "orange peel" problem, and pay for your car to be realigned

·
Registered
317 Posts
Paint may have had silicone on it or something. Is it "peel" or "fish-eyes"? If it looks more like spots, then they did not prep the surface properly. Get it redone. It should match perfectly. There is no excuse for having poor paint after your car is repaired.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would definitly complain to Progressive. Orange Peel is usually the result of holding the spray gun too close to the sheetmetal or using too much pressure so the paint craters/splashes as it goes on. That's something people with no experience usally do. I'd question how well the surface was prepped too after seeing a basic mistake like that.

I'd also send Progerssive a bill for your time & labor fixing the door & speaker etc just to make a point.

Demend to have it redone elsewhere. That's ridiculous. Insc Co's suck!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Actually, from my experiences (3 cars), all body shop paint jobs will have some orange peel. When my Lude was hit, it had a bit of orange peel on the side that was fixed. I told the guy at the shop i wanted it fixed, he said I had 2 choices.
1. leave it alone, and not get any machine marks.
2. let them buff out the orange peel, but I will get some machine marks (like swirl marks, but made from a high speed buffer).

I chose to have it buffed out. The machine marks were BAD! But after a lot of hard work, and elbow grease, the side that was hit looks just as awesome as the rest of the car. Take it back, and tell them you want the orange peel buffed out. As long as you want to spend the time waxing the side that was worked on, it's worth having buffed out. I hope this helps.

------------------
Life begins at 5,000RPM

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ferrd:
Actually, from my experiences (3 cars), all body shop paint jobs will have some orange peel. When my Lude was hit, it had a bit of orange peel on the side that was fixed. I told the guy at the shop i wanted it fixed, he said I had 2 choices.
1. leave it alone, and not get any machine marks.
2. let them buff out the orange peel, but I will get some machine marks (like swirl marks, but made from a high speed buffer).

</font>
Hmmm, I know it's much more time consuming but good body shops take car of orange peel with wet sanding. It's also a much better method then trying to smooth out paint using compound.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That is actually how they did it, with a wet sand. After that though, they needed to use a buffer to get the shine back. I'm not sure though what they put on the buffer, if it was a compound, or a wax.

------------------
Life begins at 5,000RPM

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ferrd:
That is actually how they did it, with a wet sand. After that though, they needed to use a buffer to get the shine back. I'm not sure though what they put on the buffer, if it was a compound, or a wax.

</font>

They probably used a polish or machine glaze. Ideally they should do a wet sand, compound, machine glaze, polish, and then wax but good luck on getting that kind of service

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm not sure if they did all of those steps. It came back looking great, unless it was hit with direct sunlight. That is where the machine marks showed up. Like I said, it took a LOT of time and elbow grease, but i was able to get them out using the Meguires products. Hopefully ChrisM will have similar results.

------------------
Life begins at 5,000RPM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts