Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I try my hand at installing my new brakes...afterall, how hard could it be, right? Everything was going according to plan until it came time to remove the old rotors from the hub. Those cheap-a$$ed phillips head screws stripped on me with the first pass. Any ideas on how I can get them out? I've tried pleading, begging, and hammering, and nothing has worked.
Also, the piston from one of my calipers decided to jump out of the rubber sleeve...okay, I hit the brake pedal...and jumped out. I got it back in, and everything is okay, but I think that the rubber sleeve may have a tear in it. Not being the one to care for risking failed brakes, I want to go ahead and replace the calipers...not with stock parts. What are some good brands for calipers?
Lastly, will all of this fit under the stock 16's? Those rotors are freakin' huge. The last thing I want is to get my braking system all set up, then have to take it back off until I can get some rims.
Thanks!

------------------
1998 Prelude
93 Octane
10w30
China Berry Lil Tree

·
Registered
957 Posts
for those little screws that you stripped, take a sharp chisel and a hammer and just start hitting it to force it loose. Just kind of angle the chisel tip so that is forces the screw counter-clockwise (to loosen) as you hit it.

G

·
Okay, first off those screws aren't going to come out with a regular screw driver. You have to use an impact screw driver. Now that you have stripped them all to hell, you will probably have to drill them, and use a screw extractor to get them out.

Why don't you just replace the boot? It's a lot cheaper than replacing the caliper. There are no bolt on aftermarket replacements for our calipers. Spoon makes some that fit the ITR, but you have to modify the mount a bit to get them to center on the rotor. Not to mention they run about $1500 a pair.

Other options would be Baer, Brembo, AP, and Alcon, but those include calipers and rotors. Prices range from $1k for the Baer to $3500 for the Alcon.

I am not sure, but I think you will have to get 17s. I could be wrong though.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
800 Posts
Those screws are meant for an impact screw driver (you hit it with a hammer and it turns). You'll never get them off with a standard screw driver. You're going to have to borrow one from someone or buy one at an auto parts store.

As for the calipers, there really aren't that many affordable aftermarket ones for the prelude. Your best bet would be to get Legend GS or NSX calipers. It's probably be cheaper just to rebuild yours. And be sure to bleed the system if you just use the stock calipers. You probably got air in the system when you popped the piston out.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I talked with someone from AEM, and yes you need 17's. Were you the guy we told this to awhile back?

As far as the stripped screws, Billy is right. I had to learn the hard way, too. You might need to bring them to a shop to get reverse drilled out(?).

Sorry man, but preparation would have really helped you out.

JP

·
Registered
957 Posts
i'm telling you, using a chisel and hammer will force the screws to turn and come out. No need to take it to a shop and have them drilled.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
yeah, you're right Steve. I forgot he probably doesn't care if he messes up his old rotors. I guess I was just lazy

jp

·
Registered
957 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jpprelude:
yeah, you're right Steve. I forgot he probably doesn't care if he messes up his old rotors. I guess I was just lazy

jp
</font>
it wont't mess up his old rotors, it just messes up the screws. but since he already stripped them, he needs new ones anyway.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The screws aren't stripped completely...I can still get a decent grip on them. I'm not sure if that chisel tactic will work, since the metal on the screws seems so soft. I'll try to take it somewhere to have them removed.
I was the one that asked a question about these brakes a while back, but I recall someone saying that I could run the stock rims as long as I wasn't autocrossing, which doesn't exactly make sense, but I figured, what the hell do I know, and went with it.
Dayam...well, I guess aftermarket calipers are out of the question...what about AEM? I remember reading about a 4-piston caliper kit they had available...but maybe that's because they gave me the instruction manual for Civics and Tegs instead of for a Prelude. Ah well...looks like I'm going to have to focus more on the aesthetics than I wanted to. Bye bye tax refund!

------------------
1998 Prelude
93 Octane
10w30
China Berry Lil Tree

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Follow Billy's (and everyone elses advice) and get the hammer-type impact wrench. You also have to use an extra-large philips bit, a regular one won't work (these usually come with the impact driver).

I also say you get a boot for your stock caliper, or have your dealer rebuild it. You'd be pissing away good money on new calipers and probably not seeing much difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts