Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i got a ticket for going 40mph in 25mph zone and for having a peson in my car cuz i have provisional licence. On the ticket the cop wrote APPROXIMATE SPEED: 40mph // P.F. Maximum Speed: 40mph // Vehicle Speed Limit: 25mph. It was a school zone. What does P.F. maximum speed mean? How can i fight both of those vialations? How much can i expect that ticket to be? i drive a 2001 prelude type SH (pearl white).(if that matters)

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
No, what you meant to say was

"Got a ticket, I need help".

Yell, and get ignored.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
i don't think you can fight a schoolzone ticket. I'd just take defense driving and admit guilt. Thats your only hope. How the hell did you not realize you were going 40 in a school zone. Were there no other cars going 20-25? the limit here is 20mph and i never break 22. Cops scanning school zones are extremely anal retentive and will bust you for something as simple as 3 over the limit. Its not worth the 15 seconds you save IMO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, the cop just assumed that i was going 40, she didnt even tell me until i saw it on the ticket. Can anybody answer my questions

·
Registered
162 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StockCar:
no, the cop just assumed that i was going 40, she didnt even tell me until i saw it on the ticket. Can anybody answer my questions</font>

Assumed, nothing. Did you ask to see the radar gun? If not, you can assume that she used a radar/laser/instant on and tagged you that way.

Answer these questions:

• Were you speeding (as in, going anything over the limit)?
  • Did you have someone with you in the car?
  • Do you have a provisional licence?
  • Did you do everything you should at the scene to ensure your rights, ie: ask to examine the radar unit, etc?

If you answer yes to the first three and no to the last, then plead, take defensive and be done with it. If that is not an option, then I guess it's quite a learning experience for you.

Will they pull your provisional licence? If so, that's too bad, but that's the price you pay. That's, what, 65 km/h. In a school zone.

------------------
Martin Moran
Stock 2000 Prelude SH
Sebring Silver Metallic
"When you're caffineated, all is right with the world..."

[This message has been edited by ommoran (edited May 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ommoran (edited May 01, 2001).]

·
Registered
568 Posts
Cops don't have to show you the radar gun, it's a common myth. Although, why wouldn't they show you upon request? Do they have something to hide??
Makes you wonder. Overall I respect cops and the work they do. But, too many are simply tax collectors with guns.
When I get a speeding ticket (especially something like 15 over on a desolate interstate) I feel neither neither protected nor served.
We are really powerless.

------------------
-Adam
'91 Honda Civic & '00 5spd base Prelude

·
Registered
162 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr Ludecrs:
Cops don't have to show you the radar gun, it's a common myth. </font>
Didn't say they had to. But he says she "assumed" he was doing 40. To lay a charge, she had to have something. And I have asked to see the radar before. Tip: when you do this, ask questions about how the unit works, etc. Seriously, the cops will think you're kind of ok.

------------------
Martin Moran
Stock 2000 Prelude SH
Sebring Silver Metallic
"When you're caffineated, all is right with the world..."

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
I asked a cop to show me a radar he got on me once..and he did..he was cool about it.. course i still got the ticket..but damn it.. I still don't like motorcycle cops to this day.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
698 Posts
I know we all have our opinion on cops...yeah, getting pulled over for 'modified' exhausts and clear corners is crappy, but dude, they are just making a living like everyone else, that's their job....so here's a tip:

DON'T SPEED!! Especially in a school zone.....you know the speed limit is slow there, so that's where cops are gonna be hiding out....and that passenger with a provisional license.....how were you planning to fight that??? that's totally your fault

·
Registered
951 Posts
My advice to you is the same as always...

Call a lawyer. The money you spend now will be recouped many times over through the course of a couple years.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well I think if Warren were here, he'd agree with me that there is NO excuse for speeding in a school zone! WTF were you thinking??? Not to be harsh, but it's bad enough you're speeding on your provisional license let alone ignorant enough not to slow down in a school zone. That tells me you either weren't paying attention or don't know the laws. Either way getting the ticket (which you can't get out of btw) is minor compared to what could have happened while you sailed through there oblivious to everything around you. Sorry man but learn to drive or get off the road.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Ditto to what IXLR8 said. I've gotten tickets, and got one when I had a provisional license. You've learned your lesson, now suck it up like a man and pay the price.

Beyond all else, what people think, say, what you are told/taught to do, *whatever* else might be considered, you have to be SAFE. This doesn't even necessarily apply to speed limits. You should be VERY aware of your surroundings and what goes on around you. I daresay that w/o a couple years of driving experience this is next to impossible- you need to be in a bunch of "close calls" and **** your pants before it really sinks in.

Beyond that, watch for cops. That's the one thing they don't teach in driver's ed and should.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Gotta agree with everyone here. Don't speed in a school zone. Cops accept no quarter in those instances.

As for the radar gun, I asked a cop to show me the radar gun once, and I swear to God he wanted to smack me or something. He got soooo pissed it wasn't even funny. He was a jerk anyway, busting me for doing 7 miles over the limit on a Saturday morning with virtually no one else on the road.

------------------
2000 5-speed Prelude
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Momo Alumsport shift knob
Iceman Competition Intake
Mugen cat-back exhaust
Mugen headers
AEM underdrive pulleys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MAN!!! i thought u guys could be some help to me but now u just made me feel worse (its cool thou, i understand that it was my fault). I was speeding near my school. The cop is just an asshole and she even gives tickets to high schoolers who smoke cigaretts. She was parked when i passed her and she couldnt have told what speed i was going and thats why she assumed it. MAN I JUST WANNA KICK HER IN THE FACE!!! jk

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StockCar:
She was parked when i passed her and she couldnt have told what speed i was going and thats why she assumed it. MAN I JUST WANNA KICK HER IN THE FACE!!! jk</font>
Okay...technically speaking..if she didn't radar you..then on the ticket.. that box should be empty..so in a sense..you could fight it and since she was stationary, then there was really no way to get an assume (ie. pacing) speed reading.

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think u could go into court and ask how she knew or guessed u were going 40mph. BUT, whatever answer she gives, you're pretty much f*cked cuz you were in a school zone. Plus you're young and driving a nice car.

------------------

1 - 20 of 20 Posts