Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...put it in the VTEC 6x9 sub location in my car. Took about 30 mins to wire the whole thing up to my existing amp, just to see how it sounds. I have 2 10" Baja subs right now, disconnected them and wired it to this Rockford Fosgate 6x9.

It sounds okay, a really nice effect is that it sounds like the bass is in my cabin, rather than in my trunk. But the really low bass notes are distorting the speaker. Is there an easy, no-frills way of cutting out the lowest frequencies?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Only way I know is use some soft of crossover either with an amp or with the speaker itself, like the Eclipse 6X9 point source have. You could possibly use your stereos hi and low pass filters, but that may just screw up the sound even more.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Yeah, maybe look into a high-pass filter for them, around 60 Hz or so (?)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just realized my amp has a high-pass filter set at 85Hz.... it helps a lot, though I would probably want it set higher still, as the lowest notes still make the speaker sound pretty bad. Other than that, though, it's not a bad addition.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I would turn down the power to the 6X9. I use my 6X9 for ambience only, and it adds a real nice sound.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay, now I've decided I really like it. Problem is I need another amp for it; right now I just disconnected one of my 10" subs to try this one out.

I've got this amp for my subs, and this one for my 4 speakers. I've got a 4-gauge power wire from my battery to a distribution block, which then splits off into two 8-gauge wires, one for each amp. I plan on adding a very small, cheap, mono amp, no more than 40 watts or so. What I want to know is: can I simply get a distro block that allows a third 8-guage wire to hook up to this new amp, or do I need to upgrade to 2-guage wire for my main power cable?

I would really appreciate your help on this one, thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
FGarcia1 said:

I plan on adding a very small, cheap, mono amp, no more than 40 watts or so.
Good luck finding one of those. . .

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, well assuming I still get a mono amp, say at 100W, and it isn't cheap (are the odds better? :D), could I still use the existing wiring?

·
Registered
337 Posts
i got the same Rf sub from ebay. i hate it. i am running a usa-5600 which is 75x4 and 200x1. i have the 6x9 hooked up to the 200 watt channel but at 8 ohms it should be getting around 150 watts. the speaker sounds like ass. maybe i am over powering the thing. maybe i am expecting too much out of it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I am not sure why you are having problems except that maybe those speakers just plain suck for the location. What exactly are you guys expecting to get from the sub? Like I said, I use my Eclipse strictly for ambience and clarity, and mine kicks butt. I have mine powered by a JL 300/4

·
Registered
777 Posts
FGarcia1 said:
I just realized my amp has a high-pass filter set at 85Hz.... it helps a lot, though I would probably want it set higher still, as the lowest notes still make the speaker sound pretty bad. Other than that, though, it's not a bad addition.
damn, that must be some kick ass speaker :rolleyes: now i remember why i dont like RF

could go the cheap way, and bass block it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i played with my amp a lil today and got it sounding a lil better. i fogot they make those inserts for speakers that make a cheap enclosure for it. that might be a good idea actually. i was gonna fiberglass it in there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you are overpowering it, I'm using 50W for it and it's about right, as it is.... I don't know what it sounds like compared to the Kicker 6x9 or any others so I couldn't tell you if this is good or bad in comparison, but this seems to do the job for me. Now if only I can figure out if I can wire a third amp to my system... :)

Personally, the effect I was expecting wasn't that of a real sub (which I have, 2 10's). I just wanted to see if it rounded out the midbass, and it does that. I don't want it to be very loud, in fact I'd rather it be only slightly noticeable over the midbass the fronts provide and the true, deep bass the subs give. For me thus far, it sounds pretty good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts