Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unlike most ricers, I want to find a wing for practical purposes. The rear end has always felt squirrely on high speed curves. I tried to cure it with suspension mods, but it has not fixed the problem. Ideally I would design an undertray for the car that would basically suck me to the pavement, but hey, I'm not an F1 engineer with an unlimited budget. Are there any wings, preferrably adjustable, that provide good downforce without looking tacky? Does the geniune Mugen spoiler provide any downforce?

·
powered by oyster sauce
2,345 Posts
I thought that effective downforce created by a spoiler was only produced at high speed. How fast are you taking these curves?

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
From the looks of it the Mugen wing would provide some downforce....but i really cant vouch for that since i dont have it....

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The mugen wing is prob one of the most functional wings avail for our car...

ARC spoiler is the best for racing, but it's a big huge touring wing

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear end gets loose from about 70 on up and that's what I want to fix. My suspension mods fixed the low speed problems, but only aero mods will cure high speed looseness. I wish companies would put as much effort into aero mods as they do suspension. At higher speeds, aerodynamics is more important for handling than anything suspension related.

·
6,152 Posts
come to think of it...my lude's rear end feels real light when im tearing up my twisties...and thats when im going like around 40-50...i try not to push it that much because the roads are bumpy and my car doesnt hook up good....

downforce is only really created at high speeds where there is a crap load of air flowing over the car....to get some better cornering at lower speeds race teams play with swaybars, dampening rates, springs, shocks, all that...which obviously we cant be changing valves and what not when we want to get some more grip at lower speeds....mainly because we dont have the budget for it
im certain that if we were able to change dampening rates at will we would find the right combination but again...$$$$ is a problem

·
6,152 Posts
fmshaw1971, what suspension mods do you have that cured the low speed problems??? and what problems are you talking about?.....the rear end getting light or something else?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It depends. With a big adjustable wing you could get downforce at speeds around 50-60. Just put your hand out of the window at 50. You could get several hundred pounds I would think, but you would kill your top end--and have an ugly park bench on your trunk. With an adjustable wing you could set it for lower speed or higher speed runs.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MPL, my suspension mods include Tein SS, Neuspeed rear sway bar, Tanabe rear strut bar, DC rear lower tie bar (looks mainly), Neuspeed front strut bar, and Tanabe front lower tie bar, oh and I ride on 17X7.5 5Zigen Typhoons with 215/45/17 G-Forces.

Low speed handling is awesome, say up to 50 mph, but it didn't cure the higher speed squirrely nature that my Prelude has always exhibited. Yes, the rear end feels very light at high speeds. I really don't care about losing 10 or 20mph off the top end, I just want awesome roadhandling in the 70-120 range.

·
sportin' the 4x4....
6,527 Posts
You could try softening up your rear damper. Are you racing the car? Where are you drive 70-120mph that you need awesome handling?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have many curvy highways and county roads with speed limits of 60-70 mph. Of course, it's fun to go a little higher than that. The Texas hill country is an awesome place to be a driver! :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The Mitsu 3000GT VR4 has a wing that stays at one settin below 45mph and then when you pass 45mph it actually moves to give better downforce. I dont know if anyone sells anything like this as an aftermarket wing but you could check it out.

·
6,152 Posts
is it something like the porsche wing??? it only comes out at a certain speed??? i think its on certain porches tho.....dont quote me on it

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
MugenPoweredLude said:
is it something like the porsche wing??? it only comes out at a certain speed??? i think its on certain porches tho.....dont quote me on it
Yup, certains porsches have them. Think they come out at 60mph. I guess it's a quick give away for cops then to see if you're speeding or not. :)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Um, the porsche ones come out at 40mph

The corrado's had them also...

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
Hey 'shaw, how do you like the tanabe underbrace?

If I were you, I would give some S03s a try. They are really twitchy below 50-60 but track like butter and keep the car planted from 60-120.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Obrigado, I noticed a little benefit from the Tanabe, but not that much. It was a pretty cheap mod though, so I didn't expect much. Steering seems a little sharper. I'm already planning to get S-03s for my next tires, but I can't bring myself to chuck the G-Forces I have now with 75% tread left.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
big wings aren't only for downforce at high speends...they're also for stability, partially due to the size/weight an the drag....so you'd probably benefit from a larger wing if you have that problem....but you wanted somethin that looked good, so there goes that idea :laugh: ;) :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an "F-1" style wing on my car and after about 2 months of driving with it on, I noticed to indentions where the wing is bolted on my trunk so apparently it works.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
^^ could that be from braking too hard and too much force for your trunk? :D just a thought

also, just wanna add in that Mugen supposedly does windtunnel testing to achieve good aerodynamic results. hope that also means the prelude application is more function than form. payce

1 - 20 of 23 Posts