Honda Prelude Online banner

Good or Bad Deal?

944 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jdos_24 
#1 ·
Hey i just bought a Black 92' Prelude. ( runs great )

I paid 1,000. Interior is perfect. Exterior is in good condition.

Only thing wrong with exterior: A few weird black water like stains on the sun roof. Not to sure what it is.

The seller said he just replaced the timing belt but when i brought it to my mechanic he told me that the water pump ect wasn't changed with the timing belt and should be done.

Since the timing belt was replaced theres oil leaking from that area.. Mechanic says it might be like a 600 dollar repair or something..

Was it still a good deal since i only paid 1,000 for the car?

#5 ·
The oil leak is likely an inexpensive seal, but the labor might run near 600 depending on how long they quote the job. I don't know how much the water pump etc will run, but I would guess they'll quote 5-7 hours, so multiply that by $75-85 an hour. Figure out the vehicle value in the condition you will be returning it to by repairing the leak, compare how much money you have paid so far, and see if you come out on top or not.

Of course, there's always someone who will say, "if you're happy with it, then it was a good buy"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.