Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luders,

For those of u who's been reading the thread about the manual tranny fluid and my posts in there, here's the latest!

Talked to dealer yesterday and they ARE WILLING to fix the problem the 1st TIME!!

However, they will need to order parts which will take like 2 weeks, so I took my car back for the time being and will bring it to the dealer again when it's ready for repair. Does this sound reasonable/right?
Meanwhile, I think I'm gonna try some power-shifting on my 5th Gear since it's gonna be replaced anyway. Good/Bad idea?

Thanks for reading Luders!

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EBP Lude:
I think I'm gonna try some power-shifting on my 5th Gear since it's gonna be replaced anyway. Good/Bad idea?

</font>
What's YOUR definition of "power shifting"?

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
What's YOUR definition of "power shifting"?</font>
Jamming/forcing into gear w/out the clutch!

Gonna try it just for the hell of it

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts

</font>
Some other people on here have different definition.......from what I was told if done correctly the shifter should just slip into place if done right.(?) i'm not trying this though.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts

</font>
Just set the car on fire and collect the insurance. Why waste your time with destroying the tranny?

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Just set the car on fire and collect the insurance. Why waste your time with destroying the tranny?</font>
HAHahahaha

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Just set the car on fire and collect the insurance. Why waste your time with destroying the tranny?</font>
I take that as a DON'T DO IT?????

I was just thinking since it's getting replaced anyway, might as well do something out of the ordinary that I would never do on a problem-free ride, that's all!

Would messing w/the 5th Gear damage any other components on the tranny?

[This message has been edited by EBP Lude (edited May 03, 2001).]

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Ok. Back to clutchless shifting again.

I'm in no way recommending this for anyone to do, unless you really know how to do it. You'll really need to know how to rev-match to do this. And what RPM you should be at at certain speeds in each gear.

Upshifting
  • While driving, let off the gas, and pull the car into neutral (no clutch). It should come out rather smoothly, as long as you do it right after the gas is let off. Experiment with it, you'll find out.
  • As the RPM drops, you can tap the gas a little to keep the R's where they should be to shift into the next gear.
  • Get ready. Start pulling the shifter into the desired gear, and 'pop' the car into gear.

Downshifting
  • Same concept as upshifting. Pull it into neutral.
  • Blip the gas to where the RPM should be to rev'match the upshift.
  • Just as with upshifting, start putting it into gear, let it catch a little, and pop it into gear.

Now, as I said before, I'm not recommending this method unless you really know how to do it. It does take practice, but it can be done. I talked to an old (59 year old) Mopar guy (drives a 65 Dodge Polara 500, 426 street wedge, bad ass car), and I guess they used to cut off every other tooth on the gears "back in the day".

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

Finger Lakes Region SCCA

Road Rally / G-Stock Solo II

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, type-S intake
15.040 @ 92.85 w/RS*R

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
I'm glad someone posted that. For the longest time I've been reading about other people thinking that power shifting just meant keeping your foot on the accelerator and I wanted to say something but didn't.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
No prob dude. Glad to spread the knowledge.

Well, powershifting is different from clutchless shifting.

Powershifting is where the accelerator is pressed while the clutch pedal is pushed, to keep the RPM's up during shifting, and give almost a "launch" effect at every shift.

I've never tried it.

Clutchless.. well, you know that now. And that, I have tried (funny, because that's much worse for the tranny), and have had some relative success with it. But I don't bother doing, because I can shift fast as it is, and I'm much more fond of just rev-matching while the clutch is in.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

Finger Lakes Region SCCA

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, type-S intake
15.040 @ 92.85 w/RS*R

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thatchmaster:

Powershifting is where the accelerator is pressed while the clutch pedal is pushed, to keep the RPM's up during shifting, and give almost a "launch" effect at every shift.
</font>
I just call that rev matching.
But I know what you're talking about. Revving PASSED the match point and dropping it right?

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited May 03, 2001).]

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
...Clutchless.. well, you know that now. And that, I have tried (funny, because that's much worse for the tranny)</font>
If it's not done properly. Just wanted to clarify that.

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

Finger Lakes Region SCCA

15.040 @ 92.85 w/RS*R

www.thatchland.com

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
I just call that rev matching.
</font>
On an upshift? I usually let the rev's drop

From what I know, powershifting is done while the gas is floored. drag race technique. The one thing to be really careful of, is the rev limiter. You have to shift really quick, b/c if you're powershifting, and you have the gas floored, and you miss a shift... it's just not good. You're not going to blow up your car, but it's something you want to stay away from.

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

Finger Lakes Region SCCA

15.040 @ 92.85 w/RS*R

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
713 Posts
There's something different about the synchros or something in the transmission of our 5th gen Preludes that makes Clutchless shifting kinda "notchy" and I'm not sure what it is. It's def harder to do than on other cars.

I have a 1980 Jeep and used to have an 83 Porsche, both of which I could shift clutchless all day long up & down and never grind or miss... Same with the Dodge Shadow i drove in college (yes - i hang my head in shame for that one
) But the lude really want's to "pop" in or out and if you screw up just a hair and try to force (which you should never do btw) it will grind.

I used to never use the clutch all over town unless from a complete stop, but for some reason the Prelude doesn't seem to want to play like that. Does anyone know why?

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No prob dude. Glad to spread the knowledge.

I've never tried it.

Clutchless.. well, you know that now. And that, I have tried (funny, because that's much worse for the tranny), and have had some relative success with it. But I don't bother doing, because I can shift fast as it is, and I'm much more fond of just rev-matching while the clutch is in.

-Erik

</font>
Oh, I didn't know that B4, thanks for the info Erik!!

I've done power-shifting on my old car, and don't really find it "helpful" in any way besides burning clutch, maybe it's more beneficial on a turbo car to keep up the boost.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
...rev matching...</font>
If I'm upshifting, I just ride the clutch out a little to make the shift smooth. I only rev-match when I'm downshifting. But when I downshift, I almost always heel-toe it. It's just the way I learned it.

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

Finger Lakes Region SCCA

15.040 @ 92.85 w/RS*R

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
On an upshift? I usually let the rev's drop
</font>
Ah I should clarify.......rev UP if they drop too low. Know what I mean?

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Oh, I didn't know that B4, thanks for the info Erik!!

I've done power-shifting on my old car, and don't really find it "helpful" in any way besides burning clutch, maybe it's more beneficial on a turbo car to keep up the boost.
</font>
Hey, anytime dude! I figure I must've learned something from reading SHO for 2 years (back when tech. people existed there), and driving like a 20 year old maniac should be driving.

As far as turbo's go, I don't know too much about how the boost situation goes, seeing as how I've never owned, nor have I driven with one. But I would imagine that powershifting wouldn't be necessary, but 'blipping' the gas pedal while shifting would be sufficient. Anyone who has experience with this can feel free to correct me!

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

Finger Lakes Region SCCA

15.040 @ 92.85 w/RS*R

www.thatchland.com

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Ah I should clarify.......rev UP if they drop too low. Know what I mean?</font>
Yup, gotcha Joon. Sorry, I misunderstood you before, and posted before you had edited it

-e-

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

Finger Lakes Region SCCA

15.040 @ 92.85 w/RS*R

www.thatchland.com

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IXLR8:
There's something different about the synchros or something in the transmission of our 5th gen Preludes that makes Clutchless shifting kinda "notchy" and I'm not sure what it is. It's def harder to do than on other cars.

I have a 1980 Jeep and used to have an 83 Porsche, both of which I could shift clutchless all day long up & down and never grind or miss... Same with the Dodge Shadow i drove in college (yes - i hang my head in shame for that one
) But the lude really want's to "pop" in or out and if you screw up just a hair and try to force (which you should never do btw) it will grind.

I used to never use the clutch all over town unless from a complete stop, but for some reason the Prelude doesn't seem to want to play like that. Does anyone know why?
</font>
I've never done it on any other car (1st 5-speed for me), but I know what you mean about the notchyness (is that a word?). And the grinding is no fun either.

Maybe Todd knows more about this (as Erik waits patiently for any of the ntpog fella's to chime in)..

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

Finger Lakes Region SCCA

15.040 @ 92.85 w/RS*R

www.thatchland.com

1 - 20 of 26 Posts