Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey luders,I have this alternator problem where every 5-7 mos. i need to change my alternator. My exhaust manifold runs very hot, it even glows red which keeps frying my alt. Luckily, I have a lifetime warranty on the alt so i just go back to autozone and say" For some reason my alt is acting up, can you please test it?":confused: and they say ya its a bad alt and give me a new one. I have gone through about 5 of them. I know they are starting to go when my tach goes crazy and my car starts to bog down on acceleration. After I replace my alt my problems go away for awhile. When my alt gets fried even the copper coils inside my alt turns black. I even wired my a/c condenser fan to the radiator fan to turn on when it did to help cool it, but it didn't help. :mad:
I just put in a lo temp thermostat, hopefully it helps a little. Do any of you luders have this problem too and if so, what have you done to fix this?

·
Registered
245 Posts
well i have had n issue of going thru alts but my isseue was becouse i was pushing about 1000 watts of music gear....as far as temp goes is you temp guage going high? or is it staying in normal operating range? it sounds like you may have temp issues. is the sheld still on the manifold? i don't know if this helps but who knows....maybe you should get a hedder i have knoticed my engine temp stays a little lower with the hedder and cat back. get the exhust gasses out of the engine aera as fast as they can will help a little with keeping it cooler....

·
Registered
131 Posts
yeah, you have a serious exhaust blockage. how old is your catalytic converter? do any other parts glow or seem abnormally hot?

i'd pull your cat off and either hollow it or buy a new one. that should help with the under-hood temps. My suggestion is not to spend *too* much money on the stock system. If you do end up replacing exhaust pieces, do it with performance parts. a 40 dollar hi-flowing cat plus welding labor is still cheaper than a stock replacement and it performs better...

·
Registered
148 Posts
do you have the heat shield on?
that could be burnigh the crap out of your alternators

yeah i agree with 3rdgenluder a header would definately help with the heat.

but if you have a S, then you are **** out of luck for a header my friend.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
the engine temp measures the temp of the coolant in teh thermostat housing, not the temp of the exhaust manifold, but since you still haev the heat shield, i dunno.......

·
Registered
131 Posts
NOTHING should glow.

there's a block somewhere. take the whole exhaust off and find it. a blockage and a REALLY "hot" combustion would be the only thing that causes extreme exhaust heat like that. I doubt you're running any kind of alcohol for your fuel, so...a blockage is the only thing left.

how's the performance of the car?

·
Registered
131 Posts
oh wow. yeah, you're pretty much screwed on after market parts. unless they're universal, of course...

you don't need to upgrade anything to find the blockage, though. Honda designed the car to be reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles. If you're chewing up alternators like this, then something is obviously wrong. you shouldn't have to buy an aftermarket header or build additional heat shields (which might be your last hope) to save the alternator's life. like i said, NOTHING should be glowing outside of the engine.

This problem isn't hard to fix. you just have to find the point of failure. let's get this sucker fixed!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really apreciate all you guys trying to help. When I do a few more mods to my car, I'll post some pics for you guys to see.
again Thanks alot guys, I'll hunt that blockage down and tell you guys whats up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
so no one makes a header for my S model? :-(
Unless you get a custom one done which isn't worth it. But I have heard rumors of pacesetter headers on the 2nd gen ludes might fit. I think it was the A20 motor, not too sure though. Like I said, it's a rumor :) and from what I hear as well, pacesetter isn't the best either :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LA area, you are in the middle of nowhere hehe---> palmhell, that describes it pretty well, i use to live in the hi-desert for a few years

·
Registered
245 Posts
yea i live were the tumbleweed meets the joshua tree...it's hot and [email protected] here..but i get to drive cyns everyday going to and from work :) that's the only good thing about it...there are a few luders around here that are somewat close...we should all hook up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update!!!!, diamond bar hoda has diagnosed my car and it has no exhaust blockage so what do i do!!!! please help!!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts