Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the local autozone, i saw a yellow bottle of penzoil syncromesh for $4.99 and on the back it said something like "specially formulated for GM transmissions" and "May not be suitible for other transmissions"...not the exact words but from whatever i remember.

Anyhow, it seems many people are using the GM syncromesh and it works great....so i was wondering if anyone has any more info on the penzoil brand because of course, its half price....spending $9.99 on one quart just seems in[Redacted]e...

·
Registered
945 Posts
It is not the same exact oil but it is made to the same spec. I have used both and they have the same look and the tranny feels the same with either. I think I am going to try the Redline MT90 next change though. I have the MT90 in my S2000 and I love it!!

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I don't see how $9 per quart is that expencive. I usually spend $1.50-$2.00 for a quart of Engine oil. And that only lasts a month. So there is arround $10 just for a oild change that will last at the most 3 months. The Syncromesh will last years. I have had mine in about 2 years... It is "time" to change the tranny oil. That was one of the best things that i have ever done for my car! It shifts SO much better! Don't cheap out on your car get the GM stuff. You WILL be happier!1 :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
KENLUDE97 said:
I don't see how $9 per quart is that expencive. I usually spend $1.50-$2.00 for a quart of Engine oil. And that only lasts a month. So there is arround $10 just for a oild change that will last at the most 3 months. The Syncromesh will last years. I have had mine in about 2 years... It is "time" to change the tranny oil. That was one of the best things that i have ever done for my car! It shifts SO much better! Don't cheap out on your car get the GM stuff. You WILL be happier!1 :cool:
On a side note you can run petrolium based oil for a good 5k miles easily. You can run even longer on synthetic. Don't let service shops fool you into changing your oil every 3k/3 months, unless your oil gets pretty black. Check your owners manual for the recommended oil change intervals.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
******** said:
While at the local autozone, i saw a yellow bottle of penzoil syncromesh for $4.99 and on the back it said something like "specially formulated for GM transmissions" and "May not be suitible for other transmissions"...not the exact words but from whatever i remember.

Anyhow, it seems many people are using the GM syncromesh and it works great....so i was wondering if anyone has any more info on the penzoil brand because of course, its half price....spending $9.99 on one quart just seems insane...
Well, when you only need 2 quarts it's not that big of deal. Especially when you only need to change it every 15k miles which not everyon does in the first place. I just put the GM sychromesh in my tranny after having Honda MTF and so far so good. It does engage the gears a bit smoother more consistently so far, but it's nothing to be jumping for joy about.

·
Read Only
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, my question is if the penzoil stuff is basically the same stuff, which DR answered that he has used both and they are basically the same thing. i will still be changing the tranny fluid at least every 15k-20k just to get rid of the deposits.
for oil i used synthetic, so i do it about every 4-6 depending on the smell and color of the oil.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i haven't really heard anything negative about using a non honda mtf so far, thinkin about changing myself... of course the honda techs were like, NOOOOOO stick w/ honda mtf.... :rollseyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts