PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
i thnk jason is, aboslute

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
www.geocaching.com

Basically use a GPS unit to map out a given coordinate. At the given coordinate, there is a capsule of some sort and you sign in or leave something. It's basically a game of tag with inanimate objects.

Looks and sounds kind of interesting. Had a guy tell me about it. Alot of people use it as a goal to go for a hike and to have a goal in mind rather than walking with no place to go. Some people need incentive to get the slightest bit of exercise.

My brother may get into this and renewed my interest in it. May borrow a friends GPS to try it first before I break down and buy a unit myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A guy over at my saab92x.com site was talking about it. He's from up here in the Chicagoland area but it sounds pretty cool. He mentioned a lot of the people he interacts with up here lead him to some deserted roads and twisties and stuff. It sounds neato!
Dan

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really need to break down and buy a GPS.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
didn't the volvo come with a navi option? :laugh: :runsandhides:

·
¡¡¡ǝɹǝɥ sɐʍ sdnʇuǝɯǝɔ
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no navi. Not worth the $2000. Plus to do geochaching it really helps to have a handheld unit.

·
KG6TWI
1,796 Posts
I grabbed 5 when I was out running errands on Friday.

I got my parents into it last year and now they have over 300 finds :nutty:
Since then that have both bought new 4wd vehicles, an 05 Exterra and an 04 SC'd Frontier.

I just wish I had more time to devote to the sport.

·
12,807 Posts
So who leaves these "finds"?

And what exacty are the "finds"?

I'm guessing there's a database or forum where people post a coordinate and then it's whoever goes there first gets it and everyone else is SOL?

I've heard of this for awhile, just never got into it...

·
IM CURED!
1,165 Posts
Absolut said:
I grabbed 5 when I was out running errands on Friday.

I got my parents into it last year and now they have over 300 finds :nutty:
Since then that have both bought new 4wd vehicles, an 05 Exterra and an 04 SC'd Frontier.

I just wish I had more time to devote to the sport.
haha thats funny i was talking to my wife about getting a jeep :laugh:
im hopeing to get to 150 finds today.
anyone can leave finds but you must mark the coordinates, give it a name, and some hints, you dont want to make it imposible to get or dangerous but make it fun. you can put one at a place with a view so people visiting can have something to look at or not, its up to you. the rules are on geocaching .com. each "cache" has a log, you must sing it and log you vist online and thats how you get finds. "cache" dosent mean there is cash in it but some people do put coins in there and the idea is to trade fare. i havent hid anything yet because my area is littered with caches plus im lookingfor the perfect spot that hasnt been taken yet.
boy i can go on and on....well its after 5 am and im heading to the coast to cache.

·
KG6TWI
1,796 Posts
OvaDaLimiT said:
So who leaves these "finds"?

And what exacty are the "finds"?

I'm guessing there's a database or forum where people post a coordinate and then it's whoever goes there first gets it and everyone else is SOL?

I've heard of this for awhile, just never got into it...

The two I have placed are both 50mm Ammo cans. Inside they both started with a logbook, a couple pencils and a few dollars worth of toys.
One of the caches I placed was themed, called "The Cat's Meow" it was placed near the Exotic Feline Breeding Compound and contained various cat toys and a $25 gift cert. for PetCo as the "First to Find" prize. Unfortunatly it went missing after about a year and 40 finds. The other cache I have is called the "Calico Ghost Town Cache" and has been found 271 times since March 2002

Typically when you find a cache, to take an item or two and leave an item or two in trade. Some people leave trademark items with their caching team name on it. You also sign the log book and rehide the cache the way you found it.

www.geocaching.com

Punch in your zip code and there will be hundereds of caches around you that you didn't even know about.

·
Registered
266 Posts
oh geez....My boss does this, and I have to here about all the rubber erasers, Mcdonald toys, and other worthless crap he finds. He actually brags about this sh*t and then leaves work early to go find a cache. He claims he is doing it for his kids, but they can't even walk yet. He is addicted. He'll even come in late because on the way to work a new cache popped up that he had to stop and get.

Typical conversation:

ME: Hey, the mail server is down again because we have too many users that have 10gb boxes that haven't been cleaned out in 5 years. Are you going to...(interuption by his blueberry going off with the latest cache)

HIM: Ooh, there is a new McDonald toy behind a bush in some park...

ME: So are you going to send that email out to the managers about how we want to limit the boxes. You know the one we have been taling about for two years....It's still the number one item on our project list.

HIM: (no where to be found, but last seen walking out to the garage with his gps in hand)

I want to plant a cache in his tailpipe....

·
.:..::Totes Magotes::..:.
2,174 Posts
Absolut said:
The two I have placed are both 50mm Ammo cans. Inside they both started with a logbook, a couple pencils and a few dollars worth of toys.
One of the caches I placed was themed, called "The Cat's Meow" it was placed near the Exotic Feline Breeding Compound and contained various cat toys and a $25 gift cert. for PetCo as the "First to Find" prize. Unfortunatly it went missing after about a year and 40 finds. The other cache I have is called the "Calico Ghost Town Cache" and has been found 271 times since March 2002

Typically when you find a cache, to take an item or two and leave an item or two in trade. Some people leave trademark items with their caching team name on it. You also sign the log book and rehide the cache the way you found it.

www.geocaching.com

Punch in your zip code and there will be hundereds of caches around you that you didn't even know about.

can you recommend a good GPS unit for this that doesnt cost much but would give everything you need?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts