Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have combined this into one,

where is the cheapest place to buy a filter suitable for a AEM CAI intake?

what is the PCV valve and what does it do?

is the fuel system cleaner from walmart worth buying? it is brand name....

anything else.....

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
1. I dunno, try your local "tuner" shop with a 3" cone filter.

2. The PCV valve lets blow by gases, from under the valve cover, recirculate into the intake manifold. The higher the vacuum in the intake manifold, the more gases are sucked in. It's just for emissions. It's on the valve cover, to the right of the breather tube, on the intake manifold edge of the valve cover.

3. No, they're not. I think changing the fuel filter would be more worthwhile than those fuel additives.

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
actually for the 4th gen it is a 2.75 inch intake filter, i would check yours out before hand. and most speed shop can order you an AEM filter, i just got one from AEM for my generic intake :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
i don't know why do you have to buy filter is you're using the filter that comes w/ AEM, aren't they washable and reusable?

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
MidNKight-lude said:
actually for the 4th gen it is a 2.75 inch intake filter, i would check yours out before hand. and most speed shop can order you an AEM filter, i just got one from AEM for my generic intake :bigthumb:
Most cheapie 3" filters I've seen are easily clamped to fit the AEM CAI.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Technically you can, and the car will run, but it won't idle for CRAP. Go ahead, just unplug the pcv from the valve cover with the car on and see what happens, the idle jumps up and down like a mofo. You could however, remove the PCV valve, and plug the hose going into the IM, that would solve the rpm jump, but then you gotta worry about the hole in your valve cover yadd yadda. Just leave it in there, and change it every once in a while, it's only a couple bucks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ehhh the pcv systems is not just for emissions!...it ventilates the crankcase specifically, as not doing so would allow those blowby gasses to quickly contaminate your oil and turn it to sludge...all that trapped water and acids will destroy your internals quite nicely if you remove it

the rough idle condition as a result of an improper functioning pcv valve is not due to a valve that has stopped function completely, but is regulating crankcase pressure in the wrong amounts by letting too much/little flow at a certain engine speed, which when that incorrect amount enters back into the IM, disrupts proper a/f mixture. these reasons are why you should inspect and replace your pcv valve/system at regular intervals!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts