Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 prelude...recently i noticed a funny noise in the engine...kinda like a rattling noise....nebody kno where this is comin from and how can i get rid of it??...ne other ludes have this noise??....

·
Registered
233 Posts
i hear this noise too, but it's at idle. It was loud until i noticed a plastic hose from my airbox was rattling on my valve cover. but even after i moved it, i can still slightly hear it. Maybe valves tapping?

------------------

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea...somethin like that...i only hear it on idle..wen it into gear...the sound is gone...hate this noise...hope there is a way i can remove it....

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by acb45:
i have a 97 prelude...recently i noticed a funny noise in the engine...kinda like a rattling noise....nebody kno where this is comin from and how can i get rid of it??...ne other ludes have this noise??....</font>
Sounds like the famed timing belt auto tensioner. There's been more then a couple of threads on this, do a seach and see if that helps you.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I've got it too. Sounds like someone rapping their knuckles on hard plastic or something. I thought it was a valve. Only at idle, and not all the time.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i read some of the past posts similar to this problem..i dont think its the auto tensioner..cuz it only makes this sound when idle...and when put into gear...the sound is gone...wen the RPM drops, its fine, the sound is heard when the car is only at idle...

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Try this. While sitting at a traffic light, keep the car in neutral. Push the clutch in... does the noise go away? And then come back again when you take your foot off the clutch?? Let me know what you get from that.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

Finger Lakes Region SCCA

Road Rally / G-Stock Solo II

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, type-S intake
15.040 @ 92.85 w/RS*R

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
191 Posts
Might need a valve adjustment ?

------------------
2000 Silver Lude
Toronto Prelude Club

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know how you feel, cuz it hella annoys me...sometime its there and sometime its not...strange...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts