Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to honda and bought a fuel filter because i figured my 97 could use one now. i started replacing it and right from the beginning it was a *****:mad: the bolt holding the filter in the bracket wouldnt move then i couldnt get the fuel lines off so i said screw it not its just in the bracket loosely. im gonna go to Honda next week and let them do it with their pos design. anyone know a way to take the fuel lines off without the special tool?

·
Registered
170 Posts
ya.... not be a p*ssy about it and pull it apart. use penetrating oil or wd-40 on your stuck bolt. use a small flat tip screw driver to loosen the hose from around the filter flanges

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you done a fuel filter on your car? i got it free from the bracket but both the lines going to it are torqued to 80ft/lbs from the factory and you cant get two wrenches down thier. u cant just take the rubber hose off the top of the filter

·
Registered
170 Posts
i didn't use a book... i just reached in there and did it. I'm looking at the Honda service manual (that would be the one that Honda uses) and the highest torque value on this component is 27 ft-lbs. if you can't break that loose i recomment getting a gym membership

now, reach in there, undo the bracket, undo the bolt on the top and the bottom. you need a crows foot to support the filter as you break the bottom line loose.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the guy at honda told me 80 and i got the top one loose but the bottom one i cant get at all thats when i stopped and tightend the top one back

·
Registered
170 Posts
get a wrench and put on the supply line, then put another wrench on the filter. you may have better luck from under the car.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks man i got a couple things to do for people but ill try to get it done by the end of the week

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the guy at Honda should go work for Ford. 80 ft/lbs? Wow... I know fuel filters can be a PITA, but... Just wow...

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
FYI the fuel filter on the 5th gen is known to be a ridiculous PITA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
lay under the car use the 17MM crows foot to hold the filter and use the 14MM crows foot to lose the bolt remerber to keep you mouth shut cause the gasoline will driping down :p

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
You gotta get under the car. And I had to use two wrenches and rest one of them against the subframe while I torqued on the other. It was a RPITA. But I finally got it loose. It is probably best to get the crowsfoot adapter. This will help you from stripping the nut on your fuel line. You don't want to have to replace those. The crowsfoot adapters aren't expensive if you can find them individually. Try Sears.

·
H22-Turbo 4WS Beast
1,384 Posts
here's a tip for you noobs, anytime you're working on a fuel component, unscrew the gas cap to relief the pressure on the system. This will minimize the mess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts