Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 01 and took it to a shop to get everything checked out from what the previous owner had done to the car. I found out it has adjustable coilovers, msd ignition and coil, ngk platinum plugs, 9mm racing wires and cam gears. He said I would have to replace the front spindles because the lower ball joints are severely worn. I was wondering if there is anything else I could do to fix this problem without having to give them $800 for parts and labor, and to keep this from happening in the future due to the lowered coilovers. Also, I would like some advice on where to start my own modifications. The car has 114,000 on the clock and other than what I mentioned earlier is completely stock. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you have a base model then the only way to replace the front lower balljoints is a new steering knuckle THIS IS THE ONLY WAY HONDA SELLS IT for a base model. And you will probably also have to replace the wheel bearings too because 99% of the time removing it from the old knuckle to transfer to the new knuckle will damage it. If you have an SH model there are TWO front lower ball joints on each side, and they CAN be replaced without purchasing a new knuckle. TypeSH FTW!!!

The rear axle is another story BOTH THE BASE AND SH have to buy a new knuckle if the lower balljoint goes bad.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unfortunately the only thing you can do is throw down the cash. unless you absolutely baby the car and don't ever drive it hard.

If you wait it will only make your repair bill worse. I can give you a good parts site. but what did they say exactly you "had" to replace. Did they say that b/c the lower ball joints are worn that it trashed the spindles? did the yank everything apart and tell you that?

as far as what to do to not trash your car in the future:

first and for most: tune up.
secondly you may look at struts. when i got my 01 it had a set of adj coil overs that was dropped way too much.... well just say when i had them replace my front left strut had no rebound...
lowered car = you watch the road.... a lot more. pot holes rr tracks, any dip can seriously damage your suspension if you aren't careful.

again take a note from those whom have been there. before screwing w/ anything you have to decide w/ you want out of the car and that your car is A1... if not mods will bring out the failing components....
do you want a "updated" daily driver or a race setup
w/ this id probably go w/ a street setup
w/ that mileage i'd probably lean away from anything major ie boosting/ or blowing....
you can but run the risk of just toasting the motor. compression tests will show what condition your motor is in.
you could probably throw on the typical bolt ons intake and exhaust for "performance"
and tint and a set of wheels for exterior

if you got a little more serious for motor then a new set of cams.... possibly

now if you are really serious about boosting... then throw 6lbs on there and run till something blows... then get a 60k engine pull for a couple stacks and leave the 6lbs on there.

hope this helps but seriously before mods... the car needs to be ready

spraying... i would forget about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. He said i could get a set of used spindles that still have good ball joints. Would I have to get spindles or knuckles? It is a base model and I hope to have some pics up soon. Would a camber adjustment kit help with the ball joints wearing out? I forgot to mention it has full exhaust, don't know what kind, only that it has a Megan header(I can read that when I open the hood) and an intake. But an intake and exhaust is so common I just forgot to mention it. This is my first time with an import so I thought I would get something good from the start. Heard these cars can be pretty serious when done right. I would like to keep it streetable as a daily driver, I got a Mustang I drive on the weekends.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks guys. He said i could get a set of used spindles that still have good ball joints. Would I have to get spindles or knuckles? It is a base model and I hope to have some pics up soon. Would a camber adjustment kit help with the ball joints wearing out? I forgot to mention it has full exhaust, don't know what kind, only that it has a Megan header(I can read that when I open the hood) and an intake. But an intake and exhaust is so common I just forgot to mention it. This is my first time with an import so I thought I would get something good from the start. Heard these cars can be pretty serious when done right. I would like to keep it streetable as a daily driver, I got a Mustang I drive on the weekends.
1. A knuckle and a spindle are the same thing.
2. A camber kit goes on the upper balljoints, and helps prevent premature tire wear
3. A camber kit is not needed unless you are lowered more then 1"

Can I replace the front knuckles with an SH knuckle so I can have the press in type?
Yes but it would be cost prohibitive.

You would have to purchase
SH knuckles
SH upper control arms
SH lower control arms
SH Radius rods
SH radius rod bushings
SH swaybar
SH swaybar end links
SH swaybar bushings
SH outer tierods
SH front springs and shocks
SH shock forks (the wishbone shaped piece that goes on the bottom of the shock that connects it to the lower arm)
etc etc etc
So even if you could purchase all of these parts used, you still would be spending A LOT MORE MONEY then just buying the base front knuckles from the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, that really helps a lot. Glad I was able to talk to someone that knows what they're doing. One more thing though; is there anything I can do to prevent premature ball joint wear on the lowered car without raising it back to OEM ride height?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can anyone vouch for the link I posted earlier? That 2004 Accord lower ball joints are the same as those in the base lude spindles?

·
Amanda's biatch
2,018 Posts
I just did my lower front ball joints. And I bought them from honda. They sell them for 50 dollars for the set!! I know they USED to sell them only with the knuckle.. But I got mine in a set with balljoints ONLY.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Can anyone vouch for the link I posted earlier? That 2004 Accord lower ball joints are the same as those in the base lude spindles?
I don't know for sure, but this guy is needing fronts though, not rears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts