Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I asked this a week ago and didn't get any real response from it.

I'm looking to see what speakers people have ACTUALLY fit in their front doors (5th gen only) without having to hack away any metal. I don't care about cutting the plastic basket up or even using some 5.25" drivers with some fabrication but that's the extent of it.

PLEASE don't tell me you CAN fit BA Pro 6.5's in there or to get custom kick panels. I know what I want to do but would like some input on speakers used and how much work was involved to get them in there.

Right now I'm leaning towards BA Pro 5.25 components. I never trust the mounting depths listed on Cruthfields site so I don't want to use that for a comparison. The BA pro 5.25 have a mounting dpeth of 2 5/16ths. Anyone using something that's around that depth.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Go check http://www.ntpog.org, mods, then replacing the front speakers. It will tell you all you need to know on the BA Pro 5.25's.

Our stock speakers are 6", and odd size unless you want **** Pioneer coaxials (stock are better). I believe there is (or was, 2 years ago) only one model of Pioneer and another brand (again, coaxials) that would fit as a drop-in w/o any cutting. Our stock 6" locations will fit 5.25's (diameter) but depth is a problem. Most 6's won't fit as a drop-in for this reason.

The BA Pro 5.25's fit with only having to cut out the plastic basket (easy) behind the speaker and drilling new mounting holes (oh, and using the spacer). Check the NTPOG web page, that's my car that the writeup is on.

The BA 6.5's WILL fit but require serious hacking of the door panel. Almost all the plastic near the speaker needs to be removed, the space needs to be used, holes drilled, and I think even metal cut or at least ground away. It's not an install for the light-of-heart, why I chose the 5.25s. This is also the reason most other 6.5's won't fit, they're too big for the stock door panel (why you have to remove plastic) and WAY too deep to not use a spacer and have to cut metal around the opening.

There's plenty of room for the crossover and tweet... check the web page.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Go check http://www.ntpog.org, mods, then replacing the front speakers. It will tell you all you need to know on the BA Pro 5.25's.

Our stock speakers are 6", and odd size unless you want **** Pioneer coaxials (stock are better). I believe there is (or was, 2 years ago) only one model of Pioneer and another brand (again, coaxials) that would fit as a drop-in w/o any cutting. Our stock 6" locations will fit 5.25's (diameter) but depth is a problem. Most 6's won't fit as a drop-in for this reason.

The BA Pro 5.25's fit with only having to cut out the plastic basket (easy) behind the speaker and drilling new mounting holes (oh, and using the spacer). Check the NTPOG web page, that's my car that the writeup is on.

The BA 6.5's WILL fit but require serious hacking of the door panel. Almost all the plastic near the speaker needs to be removed, the space needs to be used, holes drilled, and I think even metal cut or at least ground away. It's not an install for the light-of-heart, why I chose the 5.25s. This is also the reason most other 6.5's won't fit, they're too big for the stock door panel (why you have to remove plastic) and WAY too deep to not use a spacer and have to cut metal around the opening.

There's plenty of room for the crossover and tweet... check the web page.
</font>
You know I've looked at that page a ton of times but only thought about it for the speaker wire running. I'll look again at the 5.25" write up. Thanks for heads up.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
You know I've looked at that page a ton of times but only thought about it for the speaker wire running. I'll look again at the 5.25" write up. Thanks for heads up. </font>
Please do- most of the page is on the speakers, not the wire. It tells you everything you need to know on the BA 5.25s, I've had a few people email me to confirm that, uh, I didn't leave anything out ; )

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please do- most of the page is on the speakers, not the wire. It tells you everything you need to know on the BA 5.25s, I've had a few people email me to confirm that, uh, I didn't leave anything out ; )</font>
You are the man! I jsut checked it out and what can I say but OHHHH YEAHHHHH. There's nothing like wanting to do something and finding EXACTLY what you need to do. I'll be ordering those this weekend and maybe in a month or so I can finally have my system in. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
You are the man! I jsut checked it out and what can I say but OHHHH YEAHHHHH. There's nothing like wanting to do something and finding EXACTLY what you need to do. I'll be ordering those this weekend and maybe in a month or so I can finally have my system in. Thanks again! :D</font>
Sure. I will recommend, though, that you listen to them first. I sold my Pro 5.4's to buy the 5.5's and have regretted it ever since. The 5.4's sounded SO much better in my opinion. I've also heard Inf. Kappas that I think are smoother and more lifelike. The 5.5's in all honesty are harsh, no matter how I set the attenuation or treble controls.

Glad we could help. That's what our web site is for! Let me know if you run into any probs, I can update the web page.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CRANIUM:
This is a little off your topic, but when I had my Civic, I bought MB Quart speakers for all around and I was very impressed with their performance. They're definitely worth checking out. I have no idea what the depth is on their 5.25" component driver, but here's their web site- http://www.mbquart.com/mobil/autobahn_comp.htm

Good luck!
</font>
Yeah MB Quart are very good speakers except I've never had ANY good luck with them. I've had tweeters fail on me, noise from their x-overs, etc... However I've heard them sound fantastic in other peoples setups. One of my friends has had similar problems so based on that I decided to stay away.

Marucci: I've heard that about the .5 seeries tweeters but the few cars I've heard sounded amazing to me. We did the 6.5 Pro set in my friends GS-R and it sounded better then anything I've ever heard before. I'm running BA Pro 6.5 drivers in the rear and a JL 12W6 in a sealed box so maybe between turning the attenuation down (what's that 0 on their x-overs?) and using my EQ I can get them to sound right.

I also noticed you turned the tweeters towards the driver as opposed to the factory position towards the windsheild. Have you tried aiming the tweeters at the windshield and see if that helps?

Harsh tweeters or not it will sound a MILLION times better then stock

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
- snip - Have you tried aiming the tweeters at the windshield and see...
</font>

Actually, no. I probably should. I've never been a fan of using walls or glass to reflect or disperse sound... more of a purist than that (even though that may be the problem!).

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I fit Sony Xplod 6 3/4" (#1731 I think) in the doors. I had to do a little bit of nibbling on the plastic housing, but they fit o.k. They're better than stock, but when I replace my head unit I'm going to replace the door speakers again.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, no. I probably should. I've never been a fan of using walls or glass to reflect or disperse sound... more of a purist than that (even though that may be the problem!). </font>
I can understand that but with such a small stage sometimes it's necessary to "trick" your ears for the best sound.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Mark have you gotten rid of that basket yet? If not I can show you mine doors after the we do the valve adjustment on my car.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
Mark have you gotten rid of that basket yet? If not I can show you mine doors after the we do the valve adjustment on my car.</font>
Nah not yet Ray. I don't have all my stuff yet so I haven't looked except when I took the panels off for the CF trim on the doors. I'll check that stuff out for sure on Saturday, I need to see your cahnger as well. I'm itching to get going on my stereo, the stuffs been in boxes for over 2 years now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Like I said in the other post, I only had to cut away at the plasic basket to get the Kappa's in there.

------------------
Chris
Premium White '99 base model Prelude

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Street/Strip Disc
· Fidanza Flywheel
· Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750
· Precision Power PC4400.2 powering:
· Infinity Kappa 60.2cs 6.5" Components.
· Precision Power PC1400.2 powering:
· Single Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a custom sealed box.

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChrisM2097:
Like I said in the other post, I only had to cut away at the plasic basket to get the Kappa's in there.

</font>
How do you like the Kappa's your running? And approx how many watts do you think there getting? It's another set I was considering so I wouldn't mind some more input on them. Thanks again

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am extremely pleased with Oz Audio. I am not too sure of the mounting depths but I am going to start transfering them from one car to the other. I have never really cared for MB Quart.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rogue:
I am extremely pleased with Oz Audio. I am not too sure of the mounting depths but I am going to start transfering them from one car to the other. I have never really cared for MB Quart. </font>
I like OZ too but there's not too many dealer by me so it's tough to listen to them. They had a nice setup at FUSE in AC a few years ago. I thought about them because the price isn't too bad and they do have some model with pretty shallow mounting depths.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I installed Boston Acoustic Pro 5.4s. I tried the 6.5" version at first, but nomatter how much I cut, it didn't seem to fit; I took them back to the store and insisted that I get them swapped-out. The 5.4's require most of the basket to be cut out, and some electrical tape on some metal (so it doesn't short out the contacts!), but at least they fit. I think they sound great, although they lean a bit on the harsh side; after reading Todd's message, I can only imagine what the new ones are like. I find most car speakers are kinda harsh. Needless to say, you do not have to turn up the treble when using these!

If you want speakers that fit with no cutting, try the Kenwood Dual Mags. I put a set of those in our CR-V, and I think they sound great! I was pleasantly surprised. They're real shallow, due to the use of neodymnium magnets.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have the image dynamics chameleon 5 1/4 size at 2 ohms. i put some spacers to build up depth.

------------------
98 BASE PRELUDE
NAK CD45z
ID CHAMELEONS
PPI PC 2200
CRYSTAL CMP 10
KICKER ZR 360

1 - 20 of 21 Posts