Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally purchased some Enkei PF01 wheels for the fender project and moving up to 18s since they were relatively cheap. 18x10.5 +15mm front and 18x9 +35mm in the rear. The wheel and tire combo was fairly heavy, and the front wheels are fugly with the low offset and the way Enkei designed the spokes with this really thick mounting pad, so I decided to look for something better. I had a few wheels in mind, but the Advan RZ-F2 in blue really caught my eye, but the price tag was steep (never bought wheels this expensive, so I thought about the purchase for quite some time). Pulled the trigger and received the wheels a couple of months later:

Naturally, I was VERY curious about the weight difference between the Enkei PF01 (they have a reputation for being heavy) and the RZ-F2. Keep in mind the majority of Advan's offerings are flow forged (flow formed, and other names), which is in between strength of cast and forged. These Advans are forged, like Volks, and have a reputation for being lightweight.

Checking the weight of the PF01s vs the Advans was educational. Top pictures are the RZ-F2s and bottom are Enkei PF01s. Wheels are the same size. Left are 18x10.5 +15mm, right are 18x9 +45 for the RZ-F2 and +35 for the PF01. Tires are the same size as well. Left are 285/30/18 and right are 245/35/18 Hoosier R7 RComp.

Weight difference is less than I expected. I'm sure the F2s will be the stronger wheel, but I've never had issues with any PF01s that I've owned. I was hoping for a larger weight difference on the front (5.9% lighter), and was very surprised how close the rears were (0.5% lighter). Cost differential is huge. I can buy 5 PF01s for the price of 2 RZ-F2s. However, the RZ-F2 will be the stronger wheel and look better too.

A good primer on the different manufacturing processes: Cast, Flow Formed, or Forged? Why Wheel Manufacturing Method & Load Rating Matter | Speed Academy

Also this video about Rays wheels:

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
flow forged is great because it has reduced weight like a fully forged but not as expensive. Honestly not that much more expensive than cast sometimes. Its a great compromise between fully cast ($) and fully forged ($$$). It reduces weight on the worst part of the wheel too, the barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts