Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the rear spoon bar with my new suspension. Everything is fine except that there is a metal twisting/creaking noise from the right rear suspension. I kind of doubt that it is from the tower bar.. I checked everything. everything seems tight and secure. I can't figure out what the noise comes from.

I just want to know if this noise is normal, and how should I find out what causes this and how to fix it.

------------------

FOR SALE:
PIAA H3c superwhite bulb
5 Gen mudflaps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
What kind of suspension do you have?

With the Teins I get clunking in the right rear only on rebound. Removing the rear bar seemed to help a little, but it's still there (pillowball noise?)

Try jacking up the rear of your car and moving that wheel up and down to see where the sound is coming from. Getting a friend to listen for noises helps alot.


White98SH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
It seems the more I add stuff or stiffen stuff on my suspension the noisier it gets. I don't have a rear strut bar as yet but I think something similar happened when I put a front bar on. In my case, I thought it might be slightly poor fitment (I have a Neuspeed bar) between the bar's flange (didn't sit quite flat w/out the bolts), the strut mount bolts and the top o the fender, but I haven't done anything to try to get rid of it. I don't know how the Spoon one is constructed or how well it fits, so I don't know if that's an issue or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
I have that strange sound (almost like a shock knock) coming from the right rear as well. I noticed it a few weeks after my TEINS were installed and brought it back to the shop were they explained that it is the shock reloading. Most cars with TEINS tend to do this because the right rear is the lightest area of the car. Pay attention to the noise if you have someone in the passenger side of the car, the noise almost disappears because you are putting more weight on that area. I guess it is a design flaw of the TEINS.

Both they and I tried tightening up the bolts, adding washers, but nothing worked, I have to live with it for now, but if it gets even worse I'll open the shock and try to replace some of the components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion. I have mugen suspension which i don't expect it produces any noise. I will get my friend sitting at the back to find the source of the noise tonight.

I double-checked the spoon bar today and they are really tight. all i hope is that the my suspension isn't a defect one.

oh the noise sounds like metal-metal twisting, turning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ywwong:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have mugen suspension which i don't expect it produces any noise. I will get my friend sitting at the back to find the source of the noise tonight.

I double-checked the spoon bar today and they are really tight. all i hope is that the my suspension isn't a defect one.

oh the noise sounds like metal-metal twisting, turning.
</font>
So the noise goes away if you take the bar off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
I have a metal on metal scratching noise on my left rear strut. I think this is because I have taken it apart a couple times and haven't used any type of loctite. I think the top center bolt on the strut needs to be tightened with an allen wrench more and the base of the screw (the larger screw/nut)needs to be tightened a little more also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mark94:
I have that strange sound (almost like a shock knock) coming from the right rear as well. I noticed it a few weeks after my TEINS were installed and brought it back to the shop were they explained that it is the shock reloading. Most cars with TEINS tend to do this because the right rear is the lightest area of the car. Pay attention to the noise if you have someone in the passenger side of the car, the noise almost disappears because you are putting more weight on that area. I guess it is a design flaw of the TEINS.

Both they and I tried tightening up the bolts, adding washers, but nothing worked, I have to live with it for now, but if it gets even worse I'll open the shock and try to replace some of the components.
</font>
Do you have the upper PB mounts as well? I have the same noise you talk about and in a week or so I'm going back to the stock PB mounts with the "5th gen shock knock fix". I noticed when I put them in that I needed my friend to put all his weight on the corner of the car to get the top mounting bolt all the way down. What your saying makes sense but god I wish I could fix it somehow.

BTW your in Rutherford? What color is your car? I'm in that area alot (I work in E. Rutherford)..I drive a '99 SH in white, tinted windows, no emblems, and lowered. Honk if you see me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
I have a metal on metal scratching noise on my left rear strut. I think this is because I have taken it apart a couple times and haven't used any type of loctite. I think the top center bolt on the strut needs to be tightened with an allen wrench more and the base of the screw (the larger screw/nut)needs to be tightened a little more also.

</font>
yeah. those metal-metal scratching noise is kind of annoying.. I will try to tighten everything up this weekend.

when you guys tighten those thing up.. do you guys use torque wrench? or just tighten it up as tight as possible?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
Do you have the upper PB mounts as well? I have the same noise you talk about and in a week or so I'm going back to the stock PB mounts with the "5th gen shock knock fix". I noticed when I put them in that I needed my friend to put all his weight on the corner of the car to get the top mounting bolt all the way down. What your saying makes sense but god I wish I could fix it somehow.

BTW your in Rutherford? What color is your car? I'm in that area alot (I work in E. Rutherford)..I drive a '99 SH in white, tinted windows, no emblems, and lowered. Honk if you see me
</font>
I don't have the TEIN pillow ball mounts because I heard they were very noisey, just running with the stock mounts but I still have the noises. My car never had the shock knock before but I guess I inherited it because the suspension fits 92-01 Ludes and we all know about the classic 5th gen shock knock. What is the "shock knock fix" you will be doing? I'd definitely be interested in doing that to see if that is my problem.

Yes, I'm in Rutherford, Milano Red, but she isn't a daily driver - stays locked in a storage garage and only comes out once in a while.

So if you see a gray 1990 civic LX honking at you, that's me.


------------------
94 Prelude VTEC

[This message has been edited by Mark94 (edited March 23, 2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mark94:
[B What is the "shock knock fix" you will be doing? I'd definitely be interested in doing that to see if that is my problem.
[/B]</font>
The Honda fix is new collars that seem to go around the factory shafts...I'm not sure what's different about them until I get my old shocks apart. I might get to do that this weekend so if I do I'll post pics of the new and old pcs side by side.

I wish I could keep mine locked up from time to time....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
The Honda fix is new collars that seem to go around the factory shafts...I'm not sure what's different about them until I get my old shocks apart. I might get to do that this weekend so if I do I'll post pics of the new and old pcs side by side.</font>
Thanks, I'd definately appreciate that. If your in Hackensack, I can even stop by to see exactly what you are doing and give you a hand.


------------------
94 Prelude VTEC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mark94:
Thanks, I'd definately appreciate that. If your in Hackensack, I can even stop by to see exactly what you are doing and give you a hand.


</font>
Well I'm going to actually just drop them off by my frined hopefully and let him take the factory ones apart. He works at Bergen Jaguar so that beats me having to do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still can't figure out where the noise is from.... i have tighten all the nuts, the spoon bar is so rigid and tight as well. I try to press the car up and down and can't produce the noise. and the trunk is empty as well..

the weird thing is. the noise isn't there when I go over the bump. The noise comes off whenever it feels like it...
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top