Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is smoking BADLY. Like, when i launch, and gun it, i can see the cloud behind my car. Never used to be like that. I goes threw about 1qt a month now. About 3 months ago, it was fine, not much oil burning. I guess it is my piston rings since the car has 185,000 whopping miles on it w/o a rebuild, so i'm sure it could use one.

I wanna got the JE 9:1 pistons, Crower Rods, some head work(valves,springs,retainers,3-angle valve job, porting), and a good blueprint & balance.

I'm just wondering what kind of price i'm looking at. I know the pistons/rods will run me around a grand, and the head work will be a grand too. I would like to do the work myself, i'm knowledgeable, never done any engine work, but i'm sure if i go slow enough w/ a helms, i should be able to get it working, right?

If anyone has some info, i'd really appreciate it.

better yet, if someone around cincinnati will be free in a few months, and knows how to build an engine, and wants to earn some money, let me know!

Thanks Guys!

------------------
-Chris
--92 S

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Hey man, it's your chance to VTEC it, or at least upgrade to an H23!

I think the rebuild would be more expensive than a H23... or at least not worth the trouble?

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spite:
Hey man, it's your chance to VTEC it, or at least upgrade to an H23!

I think the rebuild would be more expensive than a H23... or at least not worth the trouble?

</font>
Not to sound like an Ultra Weenie, but, i want to stick w/ the SOHC. I like being the underdog. I will turbo it about 3-5k miles after the rebuild. Then i'll make a statement. :)

Sound Stupid? It is. But that is me. :-D

------------------
-Chris
--92 S

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sohcpower:
Not to sound like an Ultra Weenie, but, i want to stick w/ the SOHC. I like being the underdog. I will turbo it about 3-5k miles after the rebuild. Then i'll make a statement. :)

</font>
Krezzy man. Just krezzy!
You might as well get a block guard installed, in case the F22 needs one. Oh, new rods for the turbo.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
chris, you are one CRAZY mofo!

why dont you just do the whole bottom-end along w/ the turbo at the same time? duh....

------------------
AIM: ImagePree

**scratch here, ding there. Sigh...**
OG H-A Member
Who else wants these Jammies???

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sohcpower:

</font>

what a weiner...go for the H23, you'll still be an underdog
But then you'll be an underdog with some balls. haha...come on chris, join the DOHC people...you know you wanna.

------------------
Got VTEC? I don't.
92 Prelude Si BONE stock
**[email protected] at LACR so 15.5 at Pomona**

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by axemansean:
People beauty is just a light switch away.
</font>
[This message has been edited by cantdrive55 (edited May 04, 2001).]

G

·
If you're planning to build the engine from the ground up by yourself, you will need quite a few specialized tools. Micrometer, bore gauge, etc. Unless you have access to these tools, or have the money to spend on them, I would suggest letting a pro do the rebuild (the bottom end at least). Also, don't try porting yourself, that's a very delicate job on a Honda (not so much on a turbo as NA, but still).

Blueprint and balance is definitely something for a shop, not something to do at home!

A fully built bottom end could easily run over $4k, not including the top end.

Main thing is to get all of the clearnaces correct, make sure the block is straight, measure all critical clearances, etc. etc.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 7 of 7 Posts