Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to drop my car so that it had 1 finger gap all around, with 18" rims, how much would I have to drop it?

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
I see that as an inaccurate way to measure a drop, the most accurate is get a tape measure and measure from the center of your wheel up to where the fender is. Take note of the stock suspension measurement and you can see how much you really drop

·
Retired, sorta
4,968 Posts
some ppl have bigger finger than others... never liked that whole finger gap terminology :rolleyes:

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
I'm dropped right around a little over 2" on 18's and I have " 1 finger gap". Its a little less than that really, but in short I think you will be happy with a 2" drop.

·
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah... I'm looking no more than 1.5" right now... on Tein SS when I get them.

I just want a look that will be nice all around, like having the same amount of gap.

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
BoYgUaN said:
2 inch drop means camber kits
Most of the time yes...on my setup H&R Race/KYB AGX I only have -.8 degree negative camber in the front. The back is within spec. I have had my car lowered for 2.5 years now and haven't had any sign of un-natural tire wear. I have the alignment sheet to prove it. I dont know if its just a freak car, or what but things worked out really well for me.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
98VTEC said:

Most of the time yes...on my setup H&R Race/KYB AGX I only have -.8 degree negative camber in the front. The back is within spec. I have had my car lowered for 2.5 years now and haven't had any sign of un-natural tire wear. I have the alignment sheet to prove it. I dont know if its just a freak car, or what but things worked out really well for me.
Every now and then, this happens, where you don't need to have camber kits despite being lowered. My roommate is the perfect example. He has a 96 Vtec, and I have a 96 Si. He's lowered on Progress springs w/ stock struts (has been for years), and I'm on Koni's w/ Neuspeed sports. At a higher drop setting than he had w/ his stock struts, I needed a camber kit, and his tires wear perfectly...SUCKS!

J

·
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok... so I'm going to change the direction of this thread now...

What is your drop, your wheel size, and the amount of finger gap you have all around?

If this gets moved, so be it. :p

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
Measuring from the center of the wheel to the edge of the fender, much more accurate method, I have about 1.25" - 1.35" drop on ground controls and KYBs, still riding on stock 16" wheels. I will have 18" C5s on soon.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
so what's the measurement from the center of the stock wheels to the edge of the fender? I haven't been stock height for awhile, so I don't know. I was sittin at bout a finger in the front, no fingers in the back w/ stock tires....I've had to raise my car cuz of my 18's that I put on yesterday....an I have no idea what the stock ride height is anymore :(

if someone could measure the distance on their prelude for me (stock of course) then that would be great :bigthumb:

·
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll try and do that later for ya. I'm still on stock rims / suspension. :bigthumb:

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
stock height from center of the wheel to fender edge is 14.5"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts