Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the 1st time in 2.5yrs. Here's the dyno sheet,

I didn't know what to expect before the dyno, but I was hoping for at least 160whp. Well, I'm pretty happy since the final result is 166.9whp, 130.0lb-ft torque at my last run.

Question, what would a stock SH dyno'd at?

------------------
Vincent
98 TypeSH
99 GSR Sedan
CSCC SoloII #107 STS
Team Vision

·
Theoretical Physicist
3,621 Posts
Were these 3rd gear or 4th gear dyno runs? I'm guessing 4th...

[edit]-nevermind. I just read the chart a little more closely...
Why were your runs done in 3rd? Is that what the shop recommended?

I'm getting my 2000 Base dynoed tomorrow morning for a baseline. It's bone-stock at the moment...

Andrew

[This message has been edited by aklucsarits (edited April 02, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oops, forgot the mods, didn't I?

Mods:
-Mugen header
-AEM cold air intake
-Tanabe G-Power exhaust
-RG big bore throttle body w/ custom match-ported intake manifold
-Magnecor plug wires (do these help?)
-Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs (do these help also?)

Well, there were about 30+ cars that day. Most of them were Nissans with SR20DE motors (Sentra SE-R, 200SX SE-R, NX-2000, G20, etc...) The shop did most of the runs in 3rd gear unless you ask him to do them in 4th. Since it was my first time, I just let them do whatever they used to do.

------------------
Vincent
98 TypeSH
99 GSR Sedan
CSCC SoloII #107 STS
Team Vision
AIM: vwong107

·
Theoretical Physicist
3,621 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vwong:
The shop did most of the runs in 3rd gear unless you ask him to do them in 4th. Since it was my first time, I just let them do whatever they used to do.

</font>
I was just curious. I'm trying to see what gear mine should be done in...

It seems most Preludes are being dynoed in 3rd for some reason... 3rd will give numbers that are optimistic. 3rd gear is 1.304:1 while 4th is 1.034:1. 4th gear would give the most realistic #s since it is almost exactly 1:1... I know there is some formula to calculate what the differences in gearing make, but I'm sleepy now...
Maybe I'll look it up tomorrrow.

I'll have them do at least 1 run in each of 3rd and 4th so we can see what the real differnce is...

Andrew

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
You know, honestly... I'd be a bit disappointed. With your mods I'd hope for low-mid 170s... You have the whole I/H/E setup, so you should be getting more flow. Maybe b/c it's an SH?

Ah.. nevermind. I don't wanna drag you down.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I/E/H setup will not dramatically improve your Prelude HP. They do gain power, but not much at all.
Oh and possibly Mugen header is the only one out that really gain some HP. Most other headers will actually have some HP loss.

RG big bore throttle body w/ custom match-ported intake manifold from Vwong, I think this mods is the real reason he got a hefty gain.
Nice work Vwong, care to add Type-S pistons and camshafts?

[This message has been edited by SpiKeman (edited April 02, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SpiKeman:
Nice work Vwong, care to add Type-S pistons and camshafts?

[This message has been edited by SpiKeman (edited April 02, 2001).]
</font>
I don't know yet 'cuz I can't have any internal mods for auto-x (STS class).

Interestingly, my friend's early 90 Accord with H22A pulled a 141lb-ft of torque but only 154whp on the same day. I'm wondering why he has more torque than I do 'cuz that's 11lb-ft of torque, now that is a lot. I'm thinking that came from his re-programmed ECU (same programming as Mugen).

------------------
Vincent
98 TypeSH
99 GSR Sedan
CSCC SoloII #107 STS
Team Vision
AIM: vwong107

·
Registered
282 Posts
166.9 adjusted for 15% drivetrain loss is 197 hp...

is the prelude really that over rated from the factory? is the drivetrain that poor? or did I/H/E only really add 2 hp...

------------------
1994 Black Prelude 2.3L DOHC 5-speed

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vwong:
for the 1st time in 2.5yrs. Here's the dyno sheet,

I didn't know what to expect before the dyno, but I was hoping for at least 160whp. Well, I'm pretty happy since the final result is 166.9whp, 130.0lb-ft torque at my last run.

Question, what would a stock SH dyno'd at?

</font>
i would have expected to hit at least 170...and a lil more torque... prelude.vtec.net used to have SH dyno's not sure if they are still on there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ah I gotta second that I thought when I first saw the dyno chart that the car was probably stock !

Don't get me wrong I haven't personally dynoed my car yet but I was with a friend of mine who had his 98 SH dynoed and he's got AEM CAI and EVO cat back. He also has a V-AFC but it was set at stock settings and he pulled off a 173.HP with 145 Torque.

Now I know each dyno will give slightly different numbers but I think your car should be getting higher numbers ! Have you thought about perhaps going to a different dyno ??? I could be wrong but with you set up shouldn't you be putting up higher numbers ???.

------------------
2000 Silver Lude
Toronto Prelude Club

·
Registered
554 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlackMagic:
166.9 adjusted for 15% drivetrain loss is 197 hp...

is the prelude really that over rated from the factory? is the drivetrain that poor? or did I/H/E only really add 2 hp...

</font>
Drivetrain loss is 15-20% so that would be more like 197-210hp at the crank

·
Registered
104 Posts
THOSE ARE LOW numbers!

All I had was AEM intake and I pulled a 166.3 whp and 132.5 lb-ft

------------------
99 Pearl White Prelude
AEM CAI
Konig Tantrum 17x7 / Nitto450 215/40/17
Koni Sport / Eibach Pro-Kit
PIAA 1100x
RF AMP / RF 12XLC SW

·
Registered
195 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlackMagic:
or did I/H/E only really add 2 hp...

</font>
In my opinion the newer generation ludes have less restrictive i/h/e than people think.

And that dyno is not that bad in my opinion... it is not like you're WAY off or abnormally low amount of power output.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited April 03, 2001).]

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I don't think the #'s are that terrible...it's hard to say what the gains did without a baseline dyno. I've seen a stock SH once put out 154 hp so if that was his case he made about 13hp over stock. Also notice that the temp was in the mid top upper 70's something that for sure will bring the #'s down a bit.

·
Registered
282 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Smilez:
Drivetrain loss is 15-20% so that would be more like 197-210hp at the crank

</font>

20% is usually an automatic though...i hope the 5-spd lude doesn't loose that much power...anyone have a stock SH dyno chart?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts