Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished filing taxes for 2005 (since I have nothing complicated)... but can anybody give me a good reason why a spouse isn't considered a dependent? My wife doesn't work (not allowed thanks to the INS) so basically she is dependent on me... so why wouldn't she be considered a dependent? :mad:

Oh well, at least I don't anything (getting $3K back)... ;)

Keith

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
i'm estimating i owe close to $15,000 :eek:

but it could be more.

I dont even wanna go see my accountant ... cause i will hate him after he tells me the final total :(

·
artificially sweet
951 Posts
SK Honda 7 said:
i'm estimating i owe close to $15,000 :eek:

but it could be more.

I dont even wanna go see my accountant ... cause i will hate him after he tells me the final total :(
Are you on 1099 or something?

I did mine already and I'm only getting about a grand back. Oh well!

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
sigh i guess i will go home and collect w40 err that right right?

·
no diggity
1,127 Posts
Keith said:
I just finished filing taxes for 2005 (since I have nothing complicated)... but can anybody give me a good reason why a spouse isn't considered a dependent? My wife doesn't work (not allowed thanks to the INS) so basically she is dependent on me... so why wouldn't she be considered a dependent? :mad:

Oh well, at least I don't anything (getting $3K back)... ;)

Keith

you can file a personal exemption for your wife; it's equivalent to claiming her as a dependent (at least, in terms of $), but you're not actually claiming her as a dependent.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
phayze one said:
Are you on 1099 or something?

I did mine already and I'm only getting about a grand back. Oh well!
yes..this year...

next year i will be 1099 and W2 :rolleyes: more ways for them to suck more of my money

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
I hope I get back around 3k this year. I know it's just my money that the government took from me but I don't save very well. I'd rather get a lump sum once a year than seeing a bit more per paycheck. This way I can just buy something in cash with the tax refund. Last year I bought a 57" tv. This year I plan on buying a computer and a dryer. Anyone else do this?

·
no diggity
1,127 Posts
anubyss said:
I hope I get back around 3k this year. I know it's just my money that the government took from me but I don't save very well. I'd rather get a lump sum once a year than seeing a bit more per paycheck. This way I can just buy something in cash with the tax refund. Last year I bought a 57" tv. This year I plan on buying a computer and a dryer. Anyone else do this?

hell no. i'm a single male with a relatively high income & no deductions. i support the gov't just fine already, so i try and keep every penny i can.

·
( o.O )
2,802 Posts
anubyss said:
+me.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I'll probably get back about $3K this year also, thanks to some stocks that I sold for a loss, and the fact that I paid about 8 grand in mortgage interest this year. :(

I'll never understand why people say it's good to pay mortgage interest "because it's tax deductible". Sure, you pay 8 grand in mortgage interest, and deduct that from your taxes so you get $2K of that back... but you're still throwing away 6 grand! :unsure:

·
no diggity
1,127 Posts
2k5spd said:
I'll probably get back about $3K this year also, thanks to some stocks that I sold for a loss, and the fact that I paid about 8 grand in mortgage interest this year. :(

I'll never understand why people say it's good to pay mortgage interest "because it's tax deductible". Sure, you pay 8 grand in mortgage interest, and deduct that from your taxes so you get $2K of that back... but you're still throwing away 6 grand! :unsure:
...because you're also paying down a loan which secures your property. you're getting a tax deduction while paying for an appreciating asset. compared to someone who just pays rent (like myself), it's a win-win.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
doe said:
...because you're also paying down a loan which secures your property. you're getting a tax deduction while paying for an appreciating asset. compared to someone who just pays rent (like myself), it's a win-win.
Yeah... but I meant for people that could pay cash for a house (or at least pay much more towards principal).

The argument that I always hear is that "you can take the money that you'd use to pay cash for the house (or pay towards extra principal) and invest it and make larger returns than what you're losing in interest". I guess that works if you're good at investing, and if you actually do invest that money... but I don't do that... I spend it. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts