Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would liek to start to learn how to fiberglass so i can do custom stuff with my free time. Now all i want to know is where to find supplies, and what should i be using for interior box building and such so i dont need a super stiff sheet like you would for outside the car.
Thanks Ryan

·
Tall-Scott
649 Posts
You can get supplies at your local hardware store. Resin, mat or cloth, and paintbrushes are pretty easy to come by. It doesn't matter what you use interior or exterior, it all accomplishes the same thing. If you're trying to cover a large area of a mold, you might want to use Kyntex (basically mat & cloth combined) or mat. If you need to make curves, you can use all three but I recommend cloth or Kyntex. Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
what also works is panty-hoses. It stretches quite well to take weird/odd shape. Then you can just brush some resin over it to take the curve shape you want.

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
talk to a surfer. they'll help you out more than a real fiberglasser for cars

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
nuro said:
talk to a surfer. they'll help you out more than a real fiberglasser for cars
Riiiiiiiggghhhhhhttt.

I HIGHLY recomend you use a bi-axially woven cloth/matt hybrid cloth (commonly called Knytex, as scottman stated). It builds strenth much faster than lightweight cloth or mat products. I usually buy mine off of Ebay. I recently bought about 35 square feet for about $25 shipped, which should be enough for several enclosures.

Resin can be bought by the quart or gallon at auto stores and home improvement stores. The typicall price is just under $25. Resin can also be purchused online from http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

Their EB or 440 resins would work for subwoofer applications, and are slightly cheaper than from the store (shipping usually evens things out, unless you are buying several gallons at once).

Most other materials can be purchused in any home store: latex gloves, disposable paint brushes, wide masking tape, body filler, etc. US composites also carries many of these products, but their prices are only really better if you are buying in bulk (like, a box of brushes).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts