Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Luders,

Does anyone know how much the Factory Honda Prelude flywheel weighs??? Is there a difference in weight between the Base and the SH??? Thanks for any info........

------------------
2000 Prelude Type SH
Premium Pearl White

MODS: AEM CAI, DC Header, Greddy PE Exhaust, Vitek Wires, AEM CamGears, AEM TruPwr Pulleys, UR Crank Pulley, Apexi V-AFC, ACT XT Clutch, DC ShortShift Adaptor, ZEX 55 Shot Nitrous

V-Spec Coilovers, DC Fr. Upper Strut Bar, CarbonFiber Hood, OEM Bodykit, 17" Nippon Racing/NittoNT555ZRs, Type S shiftknob........

G

·
Base and SH have the same part numbers, so I would assume they are the same.

I am not sure how much it weighs (I have it in my garage), but I can tell you it's quite heavy. I have heard that it weighs around 22lbs, but I have not verified it. Anyone have a hanging scale?

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Billy, can you do me a favor??? Go weigh yourself then weigh yourself with the flywheel and let me know what it weighs??
If you do that I will be your best friend
!!!haha...jp. Thanks for the reply man........

------------------
2000 Prelude Type SH
Premium Pearl White

MODS: AEM CAI, DC Header, Greddy PE Exhaust, Vitek Wires, AEM CamGears, AEM TruPwr Pulleys, UR Crank Pulley, Apexi V-AFC, ACT XT Clutch, DC ShortShift Adaptor, ZEX 55 Shot Nitrous

V-Spec Coilovers, DC Fr. Upper Strut Bar, CarbonFiber Hood, OEM Bodykit, 17" Nippon Racing/NittoNT555ZRs, Type S shiftknob........

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
OK. How about this one...

Are the flywheels different between the 1993 Prelude VTEC and the 97+ Preludes? Maybe it's all in my head, but I recall my old 93 VTEC reving up considerably quicker than my 2000 does... Did the 93 VTEC have a lighter flywheel?

Andrew

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SH22A4:
Billy, can you do me a favor??? Go weigh yourself then weigh yourself with the flywheel and let me know what it weighs??
If you do that I will be your best friend
!!!haha...jp. Thanks for the reply man........

</font>
I don't have a scale! Good thing too....

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Billy old buddy old pal

Can you go weigh yourself and then weigh yourself with a 93 VTEC flywheel then weigh yourself with a 97+ flywheel and let us know how much they weigh and if they weigh the same???
Thanks pal........

------------------
2000 Prelude Type SH
Premium Pearl White

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Whats the lighteset weight flywheel one can go with without losing top end, but gaining the REVVING speed??

ray

------------------

www.importheart.com
Whos your DelTapywa?
I got these Jammies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WHAOOOOO DUDE!!!!!
thanks for the info man........you're my new buddy
19lbs Damn.....thats freaking heavy....cool thanks again "buddy"
you're a real pal!!!

------------------
2000 Prelude Type SH
Premium Pearl White

·
Registered
191 Posts
I heard it was around 22-25 lbs, I just got my OEM flywheel lightened to 12.5 pounds.

Makes a big differnce, it rev's a lot faster but also drops faster too. ON the highway the car seems to get up to speed (140KMS) without any effort at all.

Overall I like the feel of the lighter flywheel and would recommed it as a good mod.

------------------
2000 Silver Lude
Toronto Prelude Club

·
Registered
394 Posts
lighter flywheel doesn't hurt top-end...
I think Fidanza makes the lightest flywheel...aluminum...7.8lbs(?) This is the one that I got. You should be able to get it for around $300 or so shipped.

------------------
Chris
Premium White '99 base model Prelude

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Street/Strip Disc
· Fidanza Flywheel
· Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750
· Precision Power PC4400.2 powering:
· Infinity Kappa 60.2cs 6.5" Components.
· Precision Power PC1400.2 powering:
· Single Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a custom sealed box.

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChrisM2097:
lighter flywheel doesn't hurt top-end...
I think Fidanza makes the lightest flywheel...aluminum...7.8lbs(?) This is the one that I got. You should be able to get it for around $300 or so shipped.

</font>
so when does the lightened flywheel hurt you? When you're shifting or accelerating in midrange?

·
Registered
394 Posts
As far as I can tell, there are only a coulple things negative about a lighter flywheel:

* the revs drop faster between shifts, so you just have to keep the gas pedal pressed down a little longer. After driving one day with a lighter flywheel, it becomes easy.

* Car stalls easier because the lighter one can't keep up the momentum that a heavy one can.

* Car bogs easier when launching...same reason as above.

It takes some getting used to, but it's great to have a light FW.

------------------
Chris

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· Fidanza Flywheel
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
When you say stalls easier, whattya really mean? Not just stall outta the blue right? Thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
from a dead stop, letting off the clutch w/o giving it any gas.

------------------
Chris

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· Fidanza Flywheel
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
338 Posts
Luded,

You got your OEM flywheel lightened to 12.5 lbs. About how much was the work? Did you put a new clutch? Do you know if OEM flywheel will stay reliable?

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 98SHDiamond:
Luded,

You got your OEM flywheel lightened to 12.5 lbs. About how much was the work? Did you put a new clutch? Do you know if OEM flywheel will stay reliable?

</font>
I have an ACT Prelude flywheel, which is an OEM lightened by ACT, it is 14.5 lbs. I wouldn't go too much lighter than this as you will be sacrificing the integrity of it.

------------------
95 Prelude VTEC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts