Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was jus woundering, bout time to be gettin exhaust, Jus wounderin how much better a full catback is than like a cheap exhaust system, I really dont know whats out there for exhaust, jus know a full catback is expensive...heh thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been kind of wondering the same thing for a while. Sure, for max. gain, you may want a cat-back, but if you can get 70% of the gain (that's just a wild guess) for 50% of the price, then mebbe just an axle-back would be good enough for those of us who aren't planning anything too major. You can get most of the look & sound of the others too. (And maybe less cabin sound...)

For around $250 or less, I've seen a couple of axle-back systems. One by Thermal Research looks kinda stock, with two 3" tips. Another, by 5Zigen, looks like the "N1" style, with the huge single tip.

But it's hard to get a straight answer on the performance gain on this vs. a cat-back.

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
It all depends if you are planning further mods. Is your car stock at the moment?
If so, then I suspect you will want an intake and maybe a header later down the road. If this is the case, then get a cat-back now or you will lose money by buying two exhausts.

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I cannot say what the power gains are with the Thermal Cat-back on my 5th gen. I will say that it is the best bang for ones buck in terms of it being all stainless and as mentioned compatible with future upgrades. The axle back version is just that and will also be better than stock. Price for the cat-back installed here in my area is $529. I consider that a good price as I will probably never have to replace it. I might add that when Thermal released their unit they did not have an opportunity to dyno the car. That will come later. Most of us with it love it.

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

1 - 4 of 4 Posts